Fiddlesticks
09-18-2014, 03:17 PM
Looking at each this weekend.
Pointers? Differences?
Manual vs Auto...

BlitzWing
09-21-2014, 01:36 PM
Auto... just say no.

the 99 will have the better motor but we are talking small difference. after that its down to looks.

WASABI
09-21-2014, 01:50 PM
Auto... just say no.

Ha ha ha ha, automatic Miatas are not bad at all. And there are lots of reasons people drive them, from age and mobility issues, to just hassle free driving (don't want to shift). They still handle like a Miata and provide the joy of reliable, top down fun.

JamieH
09-21-2014, 02:02 PM
The '99 is quicker, not by much, but enough that side by side the '99 will slowly pull away from the '96 in a straight line.

But, if you're really after the whole vintage look, you can't beat a NA with the right bits swapped out/added. Hell, the design is 25 years old, you could argue a stock NA is vintage as is.

As for auto vs. manual, if you're capable of shifting gears yourself without any trouble, I say always go manual when it comes to the Miata.

revlimiter
09-21-2014, 03:40 PM
97s (and some 96s apparently) had problems with the oil pump. And the early OBDII computer is horrible to have to fix when it won't set ready codes on all systems. I'd not buy a 96 or 97. I say this as a previous owner.

99s had thrust bearing issues, but most of those should be gone by now. Not too many 99-00 engines left under 20k miles. The ECU is a lot better than on the 96. It's not without problems, but you don't have such a hard time getting ready codes to set so that you can pass emissions.

Automatic Miatas usually sell for LESS than manual ones.

JLBMX5
09-21-2014, 05:29 PM
96 has flippy head lights. 99s do not .

BoBo
09-21-2014, 08:49 PM
96/99 Not much difference. Both slow and underpowered. I have a 96 and it's been super reliable and problem free. The auto vs manual thing can go either way.The Miata is fun with a standard transmission period. You would only buy an automatic if you can't drive stick or don't want to for whatever reason. If that's the case why not just buy a bigger more comfortable car.Personally I wouldn't mind if the miata had a tiptronic option.

Pfunk
09-22-2014, 05:47 AM
Not all thrust bearing issues became apparent in the first 20K, however. My '99 was *just* within spec around 60,000km, and that borderline condition is what triggered my ridiculous motor project. I love my car; I'd just say make sure you have end play checked. Apart from that, the NB1 is the nicest-looking Miata, IMO, and I've owned both NA and NB versions.

Fiddlesticks
09-24-2014, 12:56 AM
Thanks all. Neither worked out but still on the hunt. Great info for the ongoing search.