PDA

View Full Version : Brake Help?

AutOtaku
10-20-2014, 03:18 PM
I know its probably been asked a million times (and i searched), but can anyone give me any insight into what brake pads or rotors are generally used for Daily Driver status? I want something a little above OEM but not AutoX or Track day status. Ive heard generally good stuff about EBC, Hawk, Carbotech, and Raybesto pads but im totally lost when it comes to rotors.....Any positive input is appreciated, thanks

Phatmiata
10-20-2014, 03:24 PM
The OEM Mazda Pads are great, as for rotors I use the OEM spec BREMBO rotors. Stay away from the Chinese stuff.

AutOtaku
10-20-2014, 03:34 PM
Where do you usually order from? I've been scouring Jegs, Summit, Moss, and others trying to find out who offers the best prices

BoBo
10-20-2014, 04:03 PM
OEM is good enough, but Hawk HPS would be better. I have HPS on all four corners and their good. Rotor wise, as long as you avoid the Chinese stuff, then you should be good. GWR have some good stuff, along with Tirerack.

AutOtaku
10-20-2014, 09:56 PM
How noisy are HPS pads? I dont wanna add even more noise to my miata.......

Tkblazer
10-20-2014, 11:07 PM
Hps pads are like stock, the hp+ are noisy

Phatmiata
10-21-2014, 08:38 AM
Where do you usually order from? I've been scouring Jegs, Summit, Moss, and others trying to find out who offers the best prices

I always start with the sponsors, Project-G, MiataRoadster, Rspeed. A lot of folks forget these guys can get just about anything, and they always give back to the miata community. The other companies you listed, while might offer a few bucks cheaper price, they don't care a rats arse about the Miata community. So I always look for ways to get with the sponsors first.

Or if you want something with a lot more performance you can go to V8Roadsters and order their Big 4 wheel Brake Kit :whistle: http://www.v8roadsters.com/4-wheel-big-brake-kit/

http://cdn6.bigcommerce.com/s-hbv2qirf/products/211/images/266/BBrake_2__73208.1409882557.1280.1280.JPG

AutOtaku
10-21-2014, 08:54 AM
Thanks, i'll have to look into them. As for the big brake kit......it's tempting but a lack of money along with not that much power (if im still running stock or have lost some over the years) i dont feel its needed haha even with my future plans

kung fu jesus
10-24-2014, 08:40 PM
I track on OE quality rotors. NAPA sells a nice one as do most chains, if you get the step up over the regular, cheapie rotors. Brembo, Centric, and others are known good products and OE quality.

A full brake fluid flush is helpful too, if only as peace of mind. Off the shelf Valvoline synthetic brake fluid is a nice, inexpensive option, easily found at Autozone and other stores.

Another key to tip top brakes are to make sure the sliders the calipers ride on are clean, not pitted or corroded, and freshly lubed with a high-temp brake grease. Be sure to clean and inspect the little rubber boots that protect the sliders. Any tears, holes, or cracks let in dust, dirt, and water which can greatly affect the calipers' performance.

Hawk, Porterfield, Carbotech, and Axxis/Akebono are all pads I have used on the street with good results.

charchri4
10-25-2014, 01:50 PM
IMO hawk pads act like an on off switch with no middle ground on a miata. I have used them for years in F bodies and loved them but in my Miata the pedal feel and response is terrible. Just no way to modulate them. It's better hot but on a cool day in an autocross I'd rather have anything else but hps pads.

http://i59.tinypic.com/33dw6tu.jpg

radmachine
03-07-2015, 05:42 PM
I ran the Carbotech xp10/xp8 setup on track and street and loved it. May be a little over the top for what you're looking for but worth the spend.