PDA

View Full Version : Short shifter or OEM rebuild?

Imontalto
10-20-2014, 05:09 PM
So, I've searched around and I see a lot of support for both. It's come time for me to look in this direction and I would like to be a part of the conversation instead of just reading about it. As it stands now, it is unreasonably hard to get the car to shift into second, and third gear is becoming temperamental as well. I'm also getting a lot of vibration when I get near redline. I'm not looking to spend $300 on a short shifter, so I would mainly be looking at the ECM or eBay short shifter, if I went that rout.

revlimiter
10-20-2014, 05:17 PM
If it's hard to get into gear now, a traditional short shifter would make it that much worse. The only one that actually IMPROVES shift feel and function, as far as I know, is the MiataRoadster one. I'd consider the ebay ones to be a waste of money.

2 new boots and some fresh transmission oil should help you out.

atank
10-20-2014, 06:37 PM
^^X2 on what Adam said, I have the MiataRoadster one and its great!

http://www.miataroadster.com/miataroadster/miataroadster_short_shifter_kits/g-63251.aspx

Imontalto
10-20-2014, 06:46 PM
Yeah, I've been on the side of just rebuilding the stock shifter, since it is the cheaper route. But my logic has been, that if I'm going to take it apart, I may as well explore my options for shiny new things! I guess if the cheap ones are crappy, I'll just get a rebuild kit. I have lots of other expensive things before I get to a $300 shifter! Just another thing to put on the long list of things I want!

Hyper
10-21-2014, 09:16 AM
BUY brand new motor mounts and rebuild shifter.

Agent☣Orange
10-21-2014, 09:44 AM
Yeah, I've been on the side of just rebuilding the stock shifter, since it is the cheaper route.. I guess if the cheap ones are crappy, I'll just get a rebuild kit. I have lots of other expensive things before I get to a $300 shifter!

Here's a little writeup on improving the stock shifter:
http://gearheadsmiataclub.net/vB/showthread.php/73-DIY-OEM-short-throw-improved-shifter-project

revlimiter
10-21-2014, 11:00 AM
One thing you should do is add up the cost of your shifter rebuild. Boots, bushings, etc. Then subtract that cost from the MR short shift kit. The kit really becomes a bargain after you do that. The amount of OEM parts that Bill includes (everything) is truly staggering. The only thing he doesn't include is gear oil for the turret.

Phatmiata
10-21-2014, 12:53 PM
One thing you should do is add up the cost of your shifter rebuild. Boots, bushings, etc. Then subtract that cost from the MR short shift kit. The kit really becomes a bargain after you do that. The amount of OEM parts that Bill includes (everything) is truly staggering. The only thing he doesn't include is gear oil for the turret.

Go this route for sure, its is by far the MOST complete kit, and everyone loves it!

as for the cheap eBay SSK, yeah they are crap, I bought one to play around with but the damn thing was pissing me off so bad I ended up putting the OEM one back in and putting the eBay one in the garbage.

Agent☣Orange
10-21-2014, 02:54 PM
I had the MiataRoadster shifter too and it was ine of the best mods I had done. Made me wish I had bought one sooner but I also had things I wanted to get first.

Imontalto
10-21-2014, 04:14 PM
I think I'll definitely go for the MiataRoadster shifter, down the line. Do you think replacing these things
http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=371016049664
would have a significant difference? I replaced the rubber boot a couple months ago, as it was pretty tattered. I didn't even look at any of the other stuff.

kung fu jesus
10-24-2014, 07:55 PM
Food for thought...

Vibration and a difficult-shifting transmission is a sign of other things. A short shifter or rebuilt stock shifter is only a placebo. Worn engine mounts, worn diff mounts, worn synchros, bad slave and/or clutch master cylinder, old and dirty fluid, worn or swollen clutch hose are plausible culprits. Until you are sure none of those are the issue, you can damage the gear box.

I am sure Bill Wilner's shifter is a great piece. In my experience, he sells top notch stuff. However, I have never seen a short shifter in a serious Miata racecar, only thoroughly rebuild, stock units.

MiataRoadster
10-24-2014, 11:30 PM
It sounds to me like you may have a deteriorated plastic tip bushing, especially if it's never been changed in 22 years.

Before making any of the larger investments suggested above, to isolate whether that bushing is the root of your problems, consider investing $15 in one of my proprietary Delrin "top hat" tip bushings:

http://miataroadster.com/miataroadster/miataroadster_delrin_shifter_tip_bushings/g-63717.aspx

You won't enjoy the improved precision and leverage of my full shifter kit, but if that is what's causing your problem, you'll be able to shift through the gears smoothly again. And if you do decide to order one of my kits later, I'd credit you the bushing price toward the kit price because it's the same part that's included in my famous kits.

And for the record, every one of MiataRoadster's sponsored racers (including Billy Davis, 2014 SCCA Solo CSP National Champion, pictured below) run my tall/angled shifter kits.

revlimiter
10-25-2014, 02:12 PM
^ Moti (Blackbird Fabworx) swears by your kit in his race car "Creampuff." And everyone on MT with a 6 speed equipped Miata racer gushes about the MR short shift kit.

Imontalto
10-25-2014, 03:46 PM
I took a quick look underneath my top boot, and things don't look too great. The small rubber boot is completely destroyed, as was the top boot before I replaced it. It also seemed like the bolts on top of the transmission were a little loose. I didn't really delve any further than that, but I'm pretty sure that nothing has been touched since the factory. I went ahead and ordered a weighted wood shift knob from knobmeister to try and compensate for any notchyness. I just put the order in for the Delrin bushing from MiataRoadster. Now I just need to get the small boot and some new bushings and seals for everything else... That should hold me over until I can afford the whole shabang that is the MiataRoadster short shifter. Also, I'm going to replace my engine mounts as they look pretty beat up as well. Hopefully that will rectify the majority of the problems.