PDA

View Full Version : My Turbo NA and ITB'ed NB competing in the Lime Rock AxIS this year (Video Content)

Quinn
11-04-2014, 11:44 AM
These posts are taken from my CR threads. I will be competing in the championship shootout on November 15th and will be running my NB :8):

From the July 19th:

This weekend I ran the Lime Rock Open Auto X with Nutmeg Miata Club. I ran 5 years of Auto X before getting into track days and getting my competition license. Once I got out onto a track, I never felt the same about Auto X. Too long of a day for too little driving. However, Joe Wall convinced me to run this weekend. The format is relaxed and you get sessions of 5 minutes or so to do laps, which is pretty cool. I wanted to install my oil cooler before the event, but luckily the high was only 78 and the sun was hidden all day by overcast. Kinda perfect weather actually. The setup is on Lime Rock's go kart track. They split the morning up into two groups running on the upper and lower portions of the track, followed by a timed session on the lower, and then the full course for the afternoon. The top 20 times of all the Lime Rock open Auto X days throughout the season are invited back in the fall for a shootout free of charge with catering to compete on the full go kart track. For the timed sessions, I had FTD. This puts me in 2nd place overall for the top 20 by .07 seconds to the leader. So I earned an invitation to the shootout in the fall and am considering attending.

The track surface was rather slippery. My car has 1 year old 225/45/15 BF Rivals on 15x9's and I was barely able to put power down and go straight in comparison to how much grip I have on the street. I am not complaining though because it gave me the opportunity to really let the rear move around and hang the car out, which was rather entertaining (and exhausting lol). The videos are as follows. First is free runs on the upper portion, second is free runs on the whole combined track, and third was the timed runs. In the free run videos I was dicking around for the first halfs while tires were coming up to temp and then putting in a couple more serious laps for the second halfs. All in all it was a good day and the NA was a hoot to drive.

I built this car to be a street car, but with the dual purpose of being able to drive it aggressively whenever the mood strikes. This weekend was a good testament to the car's capabilities since it's purely been a street machine. Throughout the day I was dialing in the suspension to adjust to the slippery surface of the kart track. The only downside is that the seats while awesome looking and comfy, offer little lateral support and I got pretty beat up getting tossed around and bracing myself leaving me with bruised knees and elbows lol. The little Miata chassis is already overpowered with 254 whp, add that to a surface lacking grip and you find yourself working your ass off behind the wheel trying to tame it. I came off the track on several occasions breaking a good sweat haha.

For those who are curious, an overview of the car's setup:

1991 with 94k original miles. 20k of those miles turbocharged.
1.6 L
Stock internals minus ARP Head Studs
254 whp / 232 ft/lbs @ 18 psi
Tein Flex 7kg F / 8kg R
RB 1.125" Tubular front bar
Stock rear bar
Energy Master Set Poly Bushings
15x9 + 10 Work Equips
225/45/15 BF Rivals
-2.6 camber F and Rear
1/32 toe in F
1/8 toe in R
Minimum Caster
Depowered steering rack (cut and looped line method)
Hawk HP+ Pads on 1.8 brakes
FM Frame Rails

Free runs on the upper track:

SQzN6-AbuJA

Free runs on the lower track:

OFzLyeK32ws

Timed runs on the lower track. Second hot lap was the FTD run.

A_d9emBDZ5o

From the October 30th semi-finals:

As some of you may have remembered, I ran the Lime Rock / Wells Fargo AxIS Shootout event back in July in my turbo Miata:

http://clubroadster.net/vb_forum/89-roadster-projects/12349-quinns-na-miata-build-7.html#post3974537

During the timed session of that day I managed to set FTD, which placed me 6th overall from all the different clubs that ran the event over the course of the year. Almost 250 drivers total. This past Thursday Lime Rock invited the top 30 back to compete and potentially earn the opportunity to run the championship shootout on November 15th. Only the top 20 cars will be eligible for the shootout. Given the layout of the course and the fact that I felt pretty safe with my 6th place time, I decided to run my NB during this time because my gut feeling was that it might be better suited for this type of track. Turns out that my gut feeling was right because not only did I set FTD again, but I set the short course lap record, which was previously held by Steve Katz in a 2009 Dodge Viper ACR. I am now locked in for the championship on the 15th and will be running my NB again. What was really awesome was that after the event had ended, Skip Barber himself came over and congratulated me saying how happy he was to see a Miata on top for the first time ever since they have been running this series. We had a nice little chat about some of the development work I did on this car. All in all it was a great day. I am so thrilled that I was able to take one of my street cars (really my first serious car build and car I learned how to drive competitively with) and go out, run it as I do on the street and be able to perform this well with it.

Here is some in-car footage:

***Please note that some phone's built in speakers seem to have an issue producing the audio properly in these videos. If you have an issue, use headphones in your phone or watch them on a PC***

Here are is footage from on of the practice sessions:

txoMcWgTnhE

Here is the in-car footage from the timed runs. The third hot lap was the record breaker. I was lost in the zone and almost ran a 4th lol. I'm pretty sure the car would have gone faster that lap too

LGRHfUnb9N0

If anyone has suggestions for the phone audio issue, let me know. Even copying the file directly to my phone and trying to play it with the built in speaker the audio is jeffed. I plug headphones in and it is fine.

Here are the current standings:

http://www.limerock.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=690&Itemid=286

Stay tuned for more updates!

etikoner
11-04-2014, 11:58 AM
Looks like an awesome course to run on. Sliding around in the Turbo NA looks like good fun, but I can see how the lower powered NB really shines in situations like these.

I see how he Lotus seat hold's you in a bit better than the retro seats in the NA, but would you consider throwing the Bride seat back in and maybe being held in better will give you an even faster FTD? lol Just a thought.

Phatmiata
11-04-2014, 01:02 PM
serious awesome stuff right here!! Hope to see more from you on the forum! :bow:

Quinn
11-04-2014, 02:42 PM
Looks like an awesome course to run on. Sliding around in the Turbo NA looks like good fun, but I can see how the lower powered NB really shines in situations like these.

I see how he Lotus seat hold's you in a bit better than the retro seats in the NA, but would you consider throwing the Bride seat back in and maybe being held in better will give you an even faster FTD? lol Just a thought.

I sold the Bride's unfortunately. Yeah, the lotus seats work better most likely because of the suede. I designated these cars as seats cars, hence while I got rid of the bucket seats. I was able to get by with them as is, although I was pretty bruised up after each event, especially with the red car lol.

As far as faster FTD, I set that time on my 4 year old Kuhmo XS'. The top 4 guys aside from me all did their times with R Compounds. With that said, I have a new'ish set of Hoosier A6's for the finals. They run the final on the bigger course. I bet I would have taken the short course record by a good margin if I had the A6's on the car for the semi-finals.

serious awesome stuff right here!! Hope to see more from you on the forum! :bow:

Thanks Randy. I posted this here because I remembered our conversation from a while back lol.

3MiataFamily
11-04-2014, 11:59 PM
Well...this is a great day for the miata folks...and a great day for Quinn.

I am really pleased that Quinn really showed what these cars can do...in capable hands and a well built car...

and cannot wait for Nov. 15 Shootout day. Miatas will be well represented...5 Miatas in the top 20 going into the final day...yours truly included.

3MiataFamily
11-10-2014, 06:28 PM
Got the following from Ryan at LRP today...

4 Miatas still in the top 20...and 7 entrants overall in the top 20 that participated in either the Nutmeg Club or the MassMiata Open AutoX day...not bad folks...

Lime Rock Park’s 2015 Autocross Series saw more than 250 entrants over the season, from the first competition in late March to the final autocross day last Saturday, November 8.

Over the season, we saw everything from bone stock first-gen Miatas to a blown MR2 – and everything in between, including a Honda-powered Formula F. We saw a 1974 Lotus 7 or two... Viper ACRs, and seemingly every Porsche that’s come off the line – and every BMW too. It really wasn’t until this year that we truly understood how many underpowered Japanese roadsters make their way here (looking at you, Miata and S2000 owners), and how many over-powered American muscle cars do, too.

Lots of great, great wheels. You guys are amazing.

But now it’s time for AxIS... the Shootout itself. Saturday, November 15.

The top 20 quickest drivers, getting two (2) warm-up laps, then five (5) hot laps. Who is the 2014 champion of the Autocross Invitational Shootout Presented by Wells Fargo Advisors?

The 2014 Top 20 has some familiar faces:
Dean “No Lucas Electrics in this Jag” Cusano
Gordy “A go kart would be pretty quick around here” Wagner
Ryan “All about that third-gen MR2” King
Eric “What’d you say about underpowered Miatas?” LaCore

Chasing these guys will be 16 new faces, including the lower autocross lap record-holder Quinn Kizis and his tuned 1991 Miata.

Here are the AxIS Ground Rules:

1. No “celebrity” or “guest” or “professional and whatever you want to call it” drivers. Hey, it’s your skill that got you this far…

2. The vehicle you run MUST conform to our sound regs. This is a MUFFLED event, so 86dB, ya wankers!

3. Friends and family are welcome to spectate. We won’t take it personally if you spend time with them, really…

4. You must thank your friend and ours, Chris Benjamin, of Wells Fargo Advisors. He’s the one that makes it possible for us losers to stand around with awesome machines and see which one is fastest.

You know what, thank him again, and again, here: christopher.benjamin@wellsfargoadvisors.com

So here’s how the day is going to go:

11:30 a.m.: Arrival
12:00 noon: Practice
2:30 p.m.: Timed runs on a debate-free electronic timing system, presented by Spectro Oils. (You might want to thank them too, profusely, here: http://www.spectro-oils.com/.)
4:00 p.m.: We’ll wrap it all up in the Infield Chalet... cry about the hundredth that was missed, whine about the lack of tire temperature... all in the company of good beer and even better company

If you’ll be here, let us know via email. If you’re a bit square and can’t make it, also let us know so we can fill the spot with no. 21.

Thanks, good luck, have fun,

Jeff, Ryan and Walter

2014 AxIS Presented by Wells Fargo Advisors Finalists:

1. 18.754, Quinn Kizis, 1999 Mazda Miata, 10/30 Sandlot Smackdown
2. 18.873, Dean Cusano, 1984 Jaguar XJS, 10/30 Sandlot Smackdown
3. 18.881, Eric LaCore, 2005 Mazdaspeed Miata, 10/30 Sandlot Smackdown
4. 18.89, Steve Katz, 2009 Dodge Viper ACR, 7/26 NY/CT Viper Club
5. 19.00, Ryan King, 2000 Toyota MR2 spyder, 8/16 Mass Miata Club
6. 19.288, Matthew Dunham, 2004 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 10/30 Sandlot Smackdown (next fastest 19.529)
7. 19.28, Keanna E. Chang, 2002 Audi TTRS, 11/8 Coaching Autocross Day (next fastest 19.55)
8. 19.422, Jason Levine, 2001 Honda S2000, 10/30 Sandlot Smackdown
9. 19.43, Gordy Wagner, 1997 BMW M3, 8/5 Coaching Autocross Day
10. 19.495, Kevin O’Neill, 2007 Chevrolet Corvette, 10/30 Sandlot Smackdown (next best 19.635)
11. 19.58, Matt Persanis, Lotus Elise, 10/18 Pelham Motorsports Club
12. 19.589, Tom Venturino, 2012 F1600/Honda, 10/30 Sandlot Smackdown
13. 19.769, Chris Hedberg, 2013 Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport, 10/30 Sandlot Smackdown
14. 19.77, John McGrath, 2012 Ford Mustang, 8/16 Mass Miata Club (next best 19.90)
15. 19.77, Steven Constable, BMW M3, 11/8 Coaching Autocross Day (next best 19.96)
16. 19.78, Alberto Savoretti, 2013 Subaru STi, 11/8 Coaching Autocross Day
17. 19.79, Joe Wall, 1994 Mazda Miata, 8/16 Mass Miata Club
18. 19.81, Ryan Burrell, 2006 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 7/1 Coaching Autocross Day
19. 19.84, Chris Wild, 1991 Mazda Miata, 8/16 Mass Miata Club
20. 19.88, Timothy Cloutier, 2010 Dodge Viper ACR, 7/26 NY/CT Viper Club

Please note..spectators are more than welcome as stated above.

Joe

Phatmiata
11-10-2014, 10:58 PM
Very impressive !!!! Number 1 spot too !!

3MiataFamily
11-11-2014, 12:35 AM
Quinn now holds the lower course lap record..in a normally aspirated Miata...damned impressive..

Eric is in 3rd with a mazdaspeed...followed by a bunch of high horsepower guys...

and sitting in 14th overall is the old fart in a stock motor ..190k mile..94 Miata...and another stock motor 91 Miata in 19th overall..

20% of the top 20 are Miatas...not bad ...

Personally, I am just glad that i remained in the top 20 and am invited to the Shootout...haven't had this much fun in years...:toomuch:

3MiataFamily
11-15-2014, 10:17 PM
ok..here we go..

Conditions..brutally cold..and windy...but enthusiastic entrants.

inverse running order for timed runs..which were NOT on the full course...but lower loop only with a switch in the direction of the chicane...which we were not able to practice prior to running it...

it got really cold by the time Quinn ...top dog going in..was able to make his laps...plenty of time to get his tires warm because of the way they had the course laid out...and he really went for it...and did an outstanding job...only to fall just a tad short ...falling to the FORMULA FORD OPEN WHEEL RACE CAR...by less than .2 seconds...

outstanding run accomplished under less than ideal conditions...in a MIATA!!

followed by Ryan King in his Toyota MR Spider turbo

Congratulations to Tom Venturino in the FF...for his victory today

and BTW..all 3 of the top drivers participated in either the Nutmeg club event or the Mass Miata event earlier this year.

3MiataFamily
11-17-2014, 12:10 AM
video from yesterday here...

http://youtu.be/FsQTp1biseo

please ignore the first driver shown...that is me...:fp:

towards the end the top 3 drivers are featured...

The toyota MR Spider turbo driver name is incorrect..should be RYAN KING

Followed by Quinn in his NB and Tom in the FF

3MiataFamily
11-18-2014, 10:08 PM
Final standings are published...and a short article with pics

http://www.limerock.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=25&Itemid=55

Quinn
11-19-2014, 04:52 PM
Here is the in car footage of the first practice session. Cold temps + my Kuhmo XS allowed for a lot of rear movement. Some good hoonage after 3:30. I will have more videos such as practice with Hoosiers on, my timed runs, and a GQM Garage Show recap posted shortly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4oFeDQWlqA

etikoner
11-19-2014, 06:52 PM
Damn, that's some awesome driving. I wanna get some gloves like yours, too haha.

Quinn
11-20-2014, 02:24 PM
So here is my recap from the Lime Rock Wells Fargo AxIS 2014 Championship:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7468/15649397059_5c3c06b5c7_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/pQTfwF)DSC_8817 (https://flic.kr/p/pQTfwF) by Maximus5891 (https://www.flickr.com/people/64343202@N02/), on Flickr

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7542/15215237474_717103a0b7_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/pbw51A)DSC_9095 (https://flic.kr/p/pbw51A) by Maximus5891 (https://www.flickr.com/people/64343202@N02/), on Flickr

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r103/jdm_quinn/20141115_171851_zpsfuvsqifg.jpg (http://s142.photobucket.com/user/jdm_quinn/media/20141115_171851_zpsfuvsqifg.jpg.html)

Here is the in car footage of the first morning practice session. The outside temps were very cold in the 30' F range. I hadn't put the Hoosier's on at this point, so this session was run on my 215 square setup Kuhmo XS tires. During this video I was having a little battle with my friend Ryan King in his Turbo Toyota MR-S. When I put some pace on him after the 3 minute mark, I decided to have some fun and hoon the car around a bit. The new alignment works really well for being able to balance driving for grip or hanging the tail out. The car makes 172 whp naturally aspirated and has a 4.77 final drive.

e4oFeDQWlqA

Here are my timed runs for the 2014 Lime Rock Wells Fargo AxIS championship shootout. I had qualified for the championship with the fastest time of the year and overall short course lap record with my 1999 Mazda Miata. I finished 2nd in the shootout shot of just .199 seconds to a Honda powered 2012 Formula Ford.

A couple key notes:

- Temps were in the low 30' F range.
- They made a last minute call to run the short course for the timed portion making this a borderline mini Nascar oval. The addition of the top track makes the course a lot more technical and fun. This call was a disappointment to say the least.
- They ran the timed order slowest to fastest so I got stuck going dead last after there was no sun left on the track and outside temps had gone down.

Overall I am thrilled with the performance of my true street car Miata. This is a car I have been building and developing myself from scratch since 2006. I ran this car in the competition just as I run it on the street with a full interior and a hardtop on, with the exception of a tire change for the timed portion. I built this car with balance and driver engagement/enjoyment as the number one focus, but yet having it still be a capable performance car. At the end of the day I think it achieved that and then some. Being defeated by only .199 seconds by a single seat Formula Ford race car that weighs a good 1200 lbs less, has much more mechanical grip, and a better power to weight ratio is a true testament to the performance capabilities of my Miata. I will most likely campaign it again next year unless they do not change the rules to only allow VIN number cars. If that's the case I will just pick up a used 125cc shifter kart and show them how flawed that rule really is

Thanks again to Wells Fargo and Spectro Oils for hosting the event. Kudos to Dean Cusano, Eric LaCore, and Ryan King for a great battle with real self built VIN number cars! Also thank you David McCaughan for the outside video footage.

*** Hot Laps start at 3m 26s**

qog7EMl11d0

If you want to hear an in-depth review of the day and me crap on about being ricer, here is the GQM Garage episode about the championship:

7bNiXBfHS-c

etikoner
11-20-2014, 08:26 PM
I'm curious how much those RPF1's weigh in at with those slicks. I think RPF1's + 949 valve stems + Azenis were at 28lbs total (or somewhere around there) lol

Congrats on the coming out on top and showing how a properly prepped miata can do!

3MiataFamily
11-21-2014, 12:04 AM
Everyone that was at this event was pulling for Quinn to beat the FF...myself included...he gave it all he and that car had at that point in time of the day...and did the Miata community proud...no doubt about that.

there were 5 miatas in the top 20 shootout...Quinn and Eric LaCore in his Mazdaspeed beat me and a buddy driving my car...Eric Lacore finished 9th..myself in 10th and my buddy Eric VonD in 11th...and we bested the Spec Miata racecar

this is a great format to go out and have some fun...just being invited to this was great for this old guy...which was my goal for the year. Next year I hope to improve my final standing, and hopefully the powers that be will not allow formula cars, or go-karts to participate. yes, one guy showed up in a go-kart

I am looking forward to visiting Quinn's garage at some point over the winter and checking out what he has up his sleeve.