PDA

View Full Version : OEM Oil Cooler

fwdtamiya
11-07-2014, 12:34 AM
You know the ones I'm talking about, sandwich plate with coolant lines from the oil filter on 1.8 cars. Can these be easily retrofitted onto 1.6 cars? I feel like no, because I haven't ever seen this topic.
Anyone have temperature data, if they have done it?

kung fu jesus
11-07-2014, 08:30 AM
No data here, but to do the sandwich plate, I *think* you will need a longer threaded tube from a 1.8? I'm referring to the tube the oil filter threads onto.

Hyper
11-17-2014, 05:33 PM
You know the ones I'm talking about, sandwich plate with coolant lines from the oil filter on 1.8 cars. Can these be easily retrofitted onto 1.6 cars? I feel like no, because I haven't ever seen this topic.
Anyone have temperature data, if they have done it?

Where do you live fwdtamiya (http://mazdaroadster.net/member.php?870-fwdtamiya)?
The reason I ask is because I see a bunch of 90-93 cars on the road which didn't come with the oil warmer, yet they are still rolling strong. Cars in cold climate that might be a different story and so adding the oil warmer might be a good choice for these cars.

etikoner
11-17-2014, 09:42 PM
He's looking for an oil cooler. California is a hot desert. I don't think he want's higher oil temps, lol.

kung fu jesus
11-17-2014, 10:23 PM
Yeah, you have to remember, in Cali, you can go from 72 to 100+ degrees in a couple hours drive. Most of the tracks are in the desert, so 100+ degrees isn't abnormal, and very dry.

Hyper
11-17-2014, 10:26 PM
He's looking for an oil cooler. California is a hot desert. I don't think he want's higher oil temps, lol.

I believe the title of this thread is OEM oil cooler which is the ugly ass piece of garbage Mazda added to 96-05 miatas. I believe these oil coolers are in fact oil warmers. They were designed to bring oil temperature fast by running hot coolant through it.