PDA

View Full Version : Textured paint below belt line

Jimmy Vee
12-09-2014, 06:30 PM
Does anybody have any close-up images of the texture on the paint below the indented belt line on the NA, preferably on a BRG.

I picked up my car from the painters last night and it looks great except for the texture, which I'm still not to sure about, I think they may have gone a little overboard. I haven't really payed all that much attention to it before when looking at other NAs, so I only really have my memory of the 25 year old classic red from before the respray and a few low quality images I can find on the web to compare it to.

http://i.imgur.com/45jGorX.jpg

vote4pedro
12-09-2014, 08:04 PM
my car is black, so the pic of it would be useless. I found this one on line though. your texture looks a bit 'rougher'.
isn't there supposed to be the black rocker trim? or you opted out of that? could be the missing black is bothering you as opposed to, or in addition to the texture.

Jimmy Vee
12-09-2014, 08:41 PM
Looking at that image, the 'grains' look about the same size, they just seem deeper on on mine.

There was mention of doing the black trim with the painters, I'm not sure why it didn't get done. I'll have to follow that up with them.

Flyin 92
12-09-2014, 08:43 PM
I don't think the stone guard is supposed to be that rough. Its not a bad thing, but it does look a bit over done.

BoBo
12-09-2014, 09:10 PM
The lower part looks pretty nice actually. My 96 right now has that kind of finish at the bottom. When I get my 96 re-sprayed, I'm gonna have the painters redo the rubberize coating parts of the car. Some MG migets & Porsche's have that similar rubber finish. I wouldn't worry about it, your car looks great as it is. My grandfather's 06 911 have that same rubberized texture as well. BTW, is that a single or a 2-stage paint job?

etikoner
12-10-2014, 09:56 AM
Hmm. I gotta take a look at my car again. I don' think I have the texture or the black bottom now on my car..

KAL
12-10-2014, 10:40 AM
I quite like the original black stripe, makes the miata look lighter and tighter

BlitzWing
12-11-2014, 07:10 AM
reminds me of my mk1 brg it was quite rough. IMO it looks nice.

fwdtamiya
12-11-2014, 02:54 PM
Mine isn't that rough. But I don't think it matters much.

http://www.speedhunters.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/JCCS-Wheels-23.jpg

BoBo
12-11-2014, 03:18 PM
^ Your paint looks feakin nice! I'm still saving up for a paint job.

Jimmy Vee
12-11-2014, 04:25 PM
I don't mind it now. I think it was just a bit of a shock coming from the old paint where I could hardly notice the texture to this. Definitely needs that black strip though.

How it looked before. vvvvv
http://i.imgur.com/PhU4pc1.jpg

proper photos of full car coming soon

Dandy
12-11-2014, 06:51 PM
Yes, the black line really helps with the lines of the NA. Otherwise the middle of the car looks lower than the bumpers.

It is kind of hard to get a true feel for what you are seeing with the lower textured area from a close up photo. However, it looks appropriate to me from what I know of the paint on early NA's.

jawolf518
12-27-2014, 04:05 PM
Does anybody have any close-up images of the texture on the paint below the indented belt line on the NA, preferably on a BRG.

I picked up my car from the painters last night and it looks great except for the texture, which I'm still not to sure about, I think they may have gone a little overboard. I haven't really payed all that much attention to it before when looking at other NAs, so I only really have my memory of the 25 year old classic red from before the respray and a few low quality images I can find on the web to compare it to.

http://i.imgur.com/45jGorX.jpg

Just bad orange peel. It's hard to get down there good with paint and usually it's a spot where you see this.

Malibu Q
01-04-2015, 07:38 AM
The anti-chip coating I get comes premixed in a tall can and is applied with it's own special under body gun. It can be hard to get wet enough that it 'lays down' properly, particularly on a hot day. It may be that they didn't sand out all the texture from the old application which will amplify the roughness.

Rogue
01-04-2015, 11:29 AM
I remove that crap when I paint a Miata, it looks much cleaner.

Sharpie
01-08-2015, 04:53 PM
I remove that crap when I paint a Miata, it looks much cleaner.

Unless it's my dad's ;-)