PDA

View Full Version : 1990 springs on a 1997?

NeverEnough
12-15-2014, 10:50 AM
Any reason it would be a bad idea to put stock 90 springs, or any other year NA for that matter, on my 97?

Also, are there any inexpensive lowering springs out there that are not junk?

Rather than drop a bunch of money, I have decided to just go with Sensen shocks & low mile OE springs if I get to it before the car gets sold.

Rogue
12-15-2014, 12:22 PM
'90 spring will lower a '97 a bit, but I would just put FM springs on it if your keeping it.
Thats what I did to my wifes black '97PEP, and run NB 16" twist on it
Just the other night coming from Xmas shopping, we both commented on what a good looking Miata it is.
Certainly for a $1300 Miata :lol:

The Driver
12-15-2014, 12:47 PM
Any reason it would be a bad idea to put stock 90 springs, or any other year NA for that matter, on my 97?

Also, are there any inexpensive lowering springs out there that are not junk?

Rather than drop a bunch of money, I have decided to just go with Sensen shocks & low mile OE springs if I get to it before the car gets sold.

It's a very good idea, specially because the factory 97 springs are the longest ones offered by the factory, while the '90 to '92 are the shortest.

BoBo
12-15-2014, 03:18 PM
OP, the earlier springs should work no issues. The later springs are a bit higher with more spring rate to improve suspension travel and compensate for the added weight of the later miata's. I just measured my 96 with stock springs, and it's a little under 14 1/2front and a bit over 15 1/4 rear. Ride height should vary depending on springs and tophat wear. I remember my car being slightly higher on the back 2 years ago.

I have tried most of the aftermarket lowering springs out there and none really works excluding (FM)...at least for me. Eibach pro kits looked promising but kind of sagged after a while, Koni sports adjustable perch can slow it down. Racingbeat springs are the worst, and will bottom out without having to drive hard. Tein S-tech is better than both, still not enough spring rate. I will be installing my FM springs next week, since my miata is no longer a commute car. I gotta say OEM springs ride nice.