PDA

View Full Version : Squealing noise produced if coasting in gear.

Willywongka
01-14-2015, 04:59 AM
Hello MR.net

Today my car started making this strange 'squealing / squeaking' sound like a belt is loose if I left my car coast in gear (I have only tried coasting in 2nd and 3rd). I am not sure what it could be, has anyone ever experienced this?

Probably something I don't have to worry about, but it is pretty annoying. Thanks!

-Will

Agent☣Orange
01-14-2015, 05:14 AM
If you already know it's a bad belt then better to replace it (them). Otherwise, tighten.

Martin
01-14-2015, 10:55 AM
Throwout bearing?

Willywongka
01-14-2015, 12:59 PM
If you already know it's a bad belt then better to replace it (them). Otherwise, tighten.
Well I am unsure if it is a loose belt or something else.

Throwout bearing?
Hmm, is it hard to find out if it might be this? It also sounds a bit involved to fix.

kung fu jesus
01-14-2015, 01:03 PM
I had something similar that started as an intermittent sound as you described. It was the crankshaft seal walking out the front.

I went to the garage one morning to go to work, backed out and saw a pool of oil under the car.

BoBo
01-14-2015, 02:07 PM
If it's not the belts, it might be one of the bearings in the tranny. I first thought it was the throwout bearing in my car because it would squeal while coasting, then it became worse. The squealing or whining noise would occur both driving in gear and coasting at random times.

You could have your car started and raised up in a lift at a shop to see where the noise is coming from...or maybe a friend could help you at home.

Martin
01-14-2015, 02:33 PM
Throwout bearing?

Hmm, is it hard to find out if it might be this? It also sounds a bit involved to fix.
I think throwout bearing squeal goes away if you push the clutch pedal down. Maybe I'm thinking of another noise...

Willywongka
01-14-2015, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the input, I just figured out how to add tension to the alternator belt. Hoping this will fix this issue, if not then I'll slowly go down the list of suggestions you guys listed. Oh right, I heard the noise while driving at night... and it was a little on the cold side if that matters at all. I'll drive it during the day and report back.

kung fu jesus
01-14-2015, 03:27 PM
Probably just the belt. Rubber shrinks as it heats up.