PDA

View Full Version : Another airbag / aftermarket steering wheel installation post

OBD1 kenobi
01-19-2015, 10:55 PM
I followed instructions and read/watched as much information as I could about disabling the airbag and installing aftermarket steering wheels. Here are the steps that Im following so far. I started late today so I stopped at the 3rd step. I plan to finish it tomorrow.

1. Disconnect battery-done
2. Depress brake to remove residual energy-done
3. Remove metal plate under stering wheel colum and identify airbag connector (blue and orange connector. Done but could not remove the stinking orange connector. It will need more "encouragement" tomorrow.
4. Remove orange connector and then the blue one.- for tomorrow
5. Remove 4 10mm nuts in back of steering wheel to access airbag- tomorrow
6. Disconnect orange and blue connector and remove tether line
7. Remove airbag and put in safe place.
8. Remove old steering wheel
9. Do the same for the passanger side by removing glovebox and gaining access to connector. (Do I HAVE to disconnect it? Or can I leave it alone?)

My biggest question is, will i lose my horn by deleting the airbag? From what i have been reading it seems like the orange side of the connector is for the horn and the blue is for the airbag (is this correct?) If that is the case, how do I regain the horn. I have seen some videos where someone hooks a cable from the orange connector all the way to the horn button on the steering wheel. But, is there an issue with reconnecting the connector under the dash in order to complete the circuit. I mean, the airbag is no longer there and that way the horn cicuit remains intact ? Im confused about this step because I have seen and read many threads about how to disable the airbag and install a new steering wheel but I have seen very few if any details on how to retain the horn. Most of the threads make it look like you could disconnect these connectors and keep working with the clockspring at the steering wheel base. Im willing to deal with a car without airbags but not without a horn. Thanks for any help that can be provided.