PDA

View Full Version : Installing convertible top on '95 Miata M Edition. Any words of wisdom?

Jughead
01-30-2015, 12:39 PM
Hi all,

Jughead here - new to the forum.

I just bought a new Robbins top for my '95 Miata from TopsPlus, inc., and I plan on installing it myself. (I'm relatively handy/experienced. For example, I replaced my rear brake pads and rotors yesterday.)

I'd be interested if anyone has installed a convertible top themselves, and can provide any guidance, gotchas, lessons learned, etc. I did order a "how to" video and will watch it before it comes. I'll also wait for a nice hot, sunny weekend and give myself LOTS of time.

Anybody have any experience - good, bad, ugly, etc?

Thanks in advance! Jughead

Sean5294
01-30-2015, 01:10 PM
Check out Youtube, they have a bunch of videos on how to do it.

May the force be with you :)

Phatmiata
01-30-2015, 01:51 PM
Give yourself several hours, best to tackle this over the weekend.

where are you located? Maybe get with a local Miata club at a tech day to get some help?

My local club does some good sized tech days and they install rollbars, tops, suspension, etc. really nice and everyone helps each other out for the most part.

Demon I Am
01-30-2015, 04:13 PM
have somewhere covered to park your car, or at least a tarp, in case of a rainstorm

Phatmiata
01-30-2015, 04:15 PM
have somewhere covered to park your car, or at least a tarp, in case of a rainstorm

especially if you live in Florida!! hahahha

mx54life
01-30-2015, 04:28 PM
Two sets of hands is always good. But yes you can do it yourself. I did mine well under 3 with about 2 heinekens lol. Also remove the old one as a unit and then you'll have a good and fresh idea when you install the new. Oh a nice pair of gloves will help, a friend did "hers" bare handed had a cut long story short, took the job a week to finish lol.