PDA

View Full Version : Is this a sign of heater core needing replacement/repair?

mx54life
02-11-2015, 08:58 PM
Ok so I am about to commence installing my 93 LE dash on my 95 shell when my OCD kicked in. I decided to take the heater box out since I figured being there for 20 years all sorts of bugs and dust must have collected inside. As I was hosing it down I noticed a cover held by two screws on the side over the core inlet and outlet pipes and so upon taking them out this is what I found.....

Is this a sign of leaking? I did not see any trace of coolant leak anywhere on the floor or dash wall. If so can this be fixed or am I better off buying a new one. Is this a known problem? If so any preventive measures I can do? Thanks in advance.
http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a578/ebaradas/IMG_1859_zpsep32ld1t.jpg (http://s1284.photobucket.com/user/ebaradas/media/IMG_1859_zpsep32ld1t.jpg.html)

mx54life
02-15-2015, 01:31 AM
Any thoughts guys? I was looking at a used one being sold on Ebay and it looks like this one too. I emailed the seller but he doesn't know either. So I wonder if this is normal or a small leakage is starting.

Malibu Q
02-15-2015, 01:39 AM
It's more likely to be condensation on the solder flux causing the green stain, although if you want to be sure, take it to a radiator shop and have it pressure tested.

mx54life
02-15-2015, 02:03 AM
It's more likely to be condensation on the solder flux causing the green stain, although if you want to be sure, take it to a radiator shop and have it pressure tested.

Thanks I will do just that.

Malibu Q
02-15-2015, 02:33 AM
Oh, and replace that short rubber hose inside the heater box while you have it apart. You won't regret it.

Satisaii
02-15-2015, 10:45 AM
I know from experience that it is a part that you don't want to fail. We have had it happen... hot antifreeze on the feet, a tow home, and a wet mess in the car. Furthermore, we have had 3 NA street cars pass through here with the heater cores disconnected. It may be nothing, but why would someone disconnect the heater core in an otherwise stock car? Make sure it is good. Replace it if there is any doubt. You don't want to pull the dash again.

Phatmiata
02-15-2015, 12:55 PM
did you just wash all the parts? I see water beads everywhere?

mx54life
02-15-2015, 02:02 PM
did you just wash all the parts? I see water beads everywhere?

Yeah I just wash it when I snap a pic but that bluish green stuff is already there. Sharp eyes your highness lol.

mx54life
03-06-2015, 02:42 PM
Hey guys so after a pressure test a local radiator shop told me that my heater core needed to be resoldered and he charges $70 to do this. My question is would this be worth it or would I better be serve by putting money on a new one?

ScratchNSniff
03-06-2015, 06:15 PM
How much is a new one???

mx54life
03-06-2015, 06:42 PM
How much is a new one???

Cheapest factory part I've seen $270.00

BoBo
03-06-2015, 07:34 PM
Hey guys so after a pressure test a local radiator shop told me that my heater core needed to be resoldered and he charges $70 to do this. My question is would this be worth it or would I better be serve by putting money on a new one?
Go for it, back in the days it was only $30 but you are still getting a deal. Will they give you a 1 year warranty?

mx54life
03-06-2015, 07:53 PM
No warranty. He said it is guaranteed fix as he will pressure test prior to giving it back but if it leaks later it may be from another cause.

Has anyone here use a heater core from an NA6? I have read that it should work but no further clarification as to how much work needs to be done to make it fit. The NA6 HVAC heater core is much cheaper even brand new.

JamieH
03-06-2015, 07:58 PM
No warranty. He said it is guaranteed fix as he will pressure test prior to giving it back but if it leaks later it may be from another cause.

Does no one stand behind their work any more?

BoBo
03-06-2015, 09:32 PM

Has anyone here use a heater core from an NA6? I have read that it should work but no further clarification as to how much work needs to be done to make it fit. The NA6 HVAC heater core is much cheaper even brand new.
Since you live near Ranch Cordova Gary might be able to supply you with a low mileage unit for cheap. Check out H&M AUTO DISMANTLER I got a lot of good parts there.

ScratchNSniff
03-06-2015, 10:26 PM
Eeek...$270 is quite a bit...I can check the ones I have on the shelves and see if there are any in much better shape...if I have one, you are free to it if you cover shipping...

mx54life
03-07-2015, 03:43 AM
Eeek...$270 is quite a bit...I can check the ones I have on the shelves and see if there are any in much better shape...if I have one, you are free to it if you cover shipping...

Thanks for the offer. But if someone can confirm if an NA6 HVAC heater core can be used for the NA8, NA6 heater cores are actually way cheaper like $83 B/N.

jux
03-08-2015, 12:03 AM
So you're set on using a new piece? That's kinda what I'm getting, here.

A buddy has a core from an NB2 in his NA6...if that helps. Not sure if he had to modify anything to male that work.

mx54life
03-08-2015, 12:28 AM
So you're set on using a new piece? That's kinda what I'm getting, here.

A buddy has a core from an NB2 in his NA6...if that helps. Not sure if he had to modify anything to male that work.

That's good to know thanks. Well yes I won't mind shelling out for a new one if the price is not too far from a resoldered one. My thing with this heater core is that it is a pain to get to so redoing it in after another 20 years makes more sense. My son wants this project so I'm looking to make this reliable for him.

I'm gonna get an NA6 one and compare it to the NA8. If it would require little adjusment I will use it.