PDA

View Full Version : NB top hats on NA Miata

Phatmiata
02-21-2015, 09:46 PM
So looking at some suspension options and wanted to run NB top hats and bump stops to get better suspension travel.

Does anyone have a list of the OEM part numbers that are required for this swap?

Inspecta
02-21-2015, 10:55 PM
Look into 01 civic si bumpstops. They are around $5 a piece and are a nice progressive stop. You can cut them to your desired length as well.

Phatmiata
02-22-2015, 08:52 AM
I found the diagram, now to order parts……..

has anyone else here retro fit this setup on their NA ?

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8656/16407260777_0df27f9bf5_b.jpg

Phatmiata
02-22-2015, 08:54 AM
is part# 28-111B the one everyone replaces with the FatCat parts? I have some bump stops in the grage from an NB but if the Fatcat versions are more durable I might go that route.

mx54life
02-22-2015, 12:32 PM
is part# 28-111B the one everyone replaces with the FatCat parts? I have some bump stops in the grage from an NB but if the Fatcat versions are more durable I might go that route.

I have those FCM bumpstops on my illumina+ eiibach set-up. They are shorter than OEM which should work well as long as you are moderate lowered and "not riding on them". They are claimed to be made better than stock or the competition but I can't justify the logic of high-end rubber and its function is suppose to stop the shocks from bottoming once in awhile. But they're not so expensive so I guess it is ok to have them. On another note if you are not lowered thus using stock springs you should be good with OEM. I also use the NB top hat up front and FM purple top hat at the rear for more spring travel.

Phatmiata
02-22-2015, 12:52 PM
Planning to run Coilovers with 1.5" drop, my last Miata was really low with Coilovers and pillow ball upper mount but it was a Tanabe Sustec Pro track suspension so it felt super bumpy on the street. This next setup is for a street miata that can run track events if I feel the urge, but I would like a combination of the best handling and ride comfort. And ride comfort being the main concern right now.

mx54life
02-22-2015, 01:35 PM
I had an 06 NC before and ran on OEM Bilstein + RB (1" drop) was probably on my better ride. Actually handled better than my stock S2000. My DD will be a revalved bilstein + custom swift springs. I had a buddy back in Vegas that had this on his S2000, it was way best combo I have ever driven. Well composed street driver and confident on the twisties. It was an expensive set-up but man talking about finding the compromise in street use. I have not driven an LE but from what I have gathered it is probably one of the best miata suspension build for street. No brainer they use Bilstein. Are the LE springs different from the rest of the NA?
I am not convinced that the top hat and bumpstop is where u wanna put your money IMO. If u already the Mono tube Bilstein you will probably served well with a top notch springs.
IMO stock bumpstops gets ruined the set-up is too low and they are being riden. But even the best of the bumpstop when riden gives out the worst ride LoL try mine. Now if the tophat is due for a change a NB is well worth the money as you gonna spend some anyways.

Rogue
02-22-2015, 08:23 PM
I ran a set of NB tophats on my LE Billies (w/Tanabe springs) and it rode really nice, but it settled too low and I went back to NA tops (w/FM springs)
I also run Fatcats on all mine, they are that good….Ive had one set since Shaik first released them. (over 100k on them)
I'm pulling whats left of some OEM NB bumps from some Konis right now, don't waste your time.
Im putting NB tops on my ASTs for my X95M, here pretty quick.

Phatmiata
02-22-2015, 08:46 PM
I have some leftover NB parts in my garage from the 96 miata when I was swapping out the coilovers, but I sold that car off with NB top hats. I have some suspension from an NB that was parted out at my storage but not sure what shape it's in.

Hammerhead
02-22-2015, 09:22 PM
I ran a set of NB tophats on my LE Billies (w/Tanabe springs) and it rode really nice, but it settled too low and I went back to NA tops (w/FM springs)
I also run Fatcats on all mine, they are that good….Ive had one set since Shaik first released them. (over 100k on them)
I'm pulling whats left of some OEM NB bumps from some Konis right now, don't waste your time.
Im putting NB tops on my ASTs for my X95M, here pretty quick.

OK, I'd like to get into this conversation, too. I have a set of FM springs and sways waiting to go into my DD LE to replace my (too low) Eibach Pro-kit springs and Illumina shocks. My intention is to run 25mm spacers with my 15-inch BBS wheels (from a 95M). There are two reasons for this: [1] to fit over my Wilwood BBK and [2] to bring the wheel/tire flush with the fender. I expect that I will be raising the car from its current drop with the new FM springs and I will need to accommodate any movement or sweep of the wheels.

I have 3-1/2 sets of the 93LE Bilsteins and I think I'll just get a set rebuilt and revalved for the FM's spring rates.

I'm wondering a couple of things: [1] should I add spring collars to add height if I need it for the stock fenders to clear the wheels because of the spacers and [2] should I add NB tophats and bumpstops? <- I am guessing not, because my ride height should be lowered by all that much...

Rogue
02-22-2015, 11:10 PM
I have been running 95M BBSs on my 93LE (Billies, FM springs, FCM bumps) with 205/50/15s since 2005.
The ride was significantly better than the bone stock set up on our 2nd 93LE.
No issues, but not slammed. Those shocks are on my wifes '97PEP at the moment running NB2 16' twists.
IMO every 93LE should have come with 15" BBS's ;)….(I also run a set on my wifes '92 BnT)
http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o756/RogueRace/Miata%20Solutions/93LE737Gap08_zpsc4ec84f2.jpg (http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/RogueRace/media/Miata%20Solutions/93LE737Gap08_zpsc4ec84f2.jpg.html)

Hammerhead
02-22-2015, 11:13 PM
I have been running 95M BBSs on my 93LE (Billies, FM springs, FCM bumps) with 205/50/15s since 2005.
The ride was significantly better than the bone stock set up on our 2nd 93LE.
No issues, but not slammed. Those shocks are on my wifes '97PEP at the moment running NB2 16' twists.
IMO every 93LE should have come with 15" BBS's ;)….(I also run a set on my wifes '92 BnT)
http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o756/RogueRace/Miata%20Solutions/93LE737Gap08_zpsc4ec84f2.jpg (http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/RogueRace/media/Miata%20Solutions/93LE737Gap08_zpsc4ec84f2.jpg.html)

If I may ask, what's your fender gap with the FM springs?

Phatmiata
02-22-2015, 11:39 PM
That car looks great btw.

Inspecta
02-23-2015, 09:22 AM
Argh, you jerks and your 15" BBSs! I hate the tire selection for the 14" version.

Dandy
02-23-2015, 10:01 AM
Rather than doing the NB tophat conversion, I got a shock mount kit from from FatCatMotorsports. Several parts in your illustration are replaced in addition to the bumpstops. You can see the parts here: http://www.fatcatmotorsports.com/FCM_shock_mount_with_MCU_bushings.pdf. My kit included everything listed on the first page with the exception of #4 (NB shock mount) and instead it included 2.5 inch isolators (risers) shown in the illustration on step 5 of the instructions.

The kit was assembled to be used with stock 93LE Bilstein shocks and a Ground Control coilover conversion kit: http://www.ground-control-store.com/products/description.php/II=43/CA=23. The kit was ordered with custom Eibach springs - 400lbs front, 300lbs rear - 7" front length and 8' rear length.

The parts were gathered with the idea of a modest 1" - 1.5" drop and an emphasis on ride quality (grand tourer) over ultimate track handling.

If you have the patience to wait, a consultation with Shaikh at FatCatMotorsports could be well worth the time spent. The value in FCM is not really the materials used but the thought and engineering knowledge behind it. Different packages are recommended based on shocks and intended use of the car.

Are the LE springs different from the rest of the NA?

Yes, LE springs are slightly different than the rest of the NA's. They are a bit shorter and the spring rates are 154lbs front, 94lbs rear vs. 167lbs front, 97lbs rear for other 90-93 NA's.

Hammerhead
02-23-2015, 03:40 PM
Argh, you jerks and your 15" BBSs! I hate the tire selection for the 14" version.

LOL! I have 15-inch BBS on both my LEs. :)

Phatmiata
02-23-2015, 04:18 PM
I don't think I could ever sell my set, they are too nice looking, I would probably mount them on the wall in the house if the wife would let me. :teehee:

mx54life
02-23-2015, 07:50 PM
Would those OEM BBS 15" fit a BBK say a Wilwood Dynamite/Dynapro w/o a spacer?