PDA

View Full Version : Experience with Skunk2 Pro ST coilovers?

MadCat360
02-28-2015, 03:04 PM
Hey guys,

I've been searching high and low for any info on Skunk2's coilover offering and it's strangely absent from most search results. I found a set for $850 and it seems like a good deal. Anyone tried these? Thoughts on longevity?

Thanks.

Vegard
02-28-2015, 03:38 PM
No info means it's probably not any good, I've never seen them mentioned anywhere.

mx54life
02-28-2015, 04:09 PM
I have looked at this set a couple of months back but I end up with Teins Street Flex $950 out the door, for simple reasons of company support is well established (purely suspension company so figure they will live and die with their product), Rebuildable for $100 per corner (so can be custom spec), steel body therefore no cracking here, lastly the positive review out counts the negative ones plus the negs are pretty much subjective. In the end it is costing me about $80 a month with paypal credit no interest x 12 mos win win again just my 2 cents. GL with the project.

HopalongHopalong
02-28-2015, 05:00 PM
Never had it on a miata but did have a it on my old civic. It was ok. If I was to to do it again I would purchase something different

brontosaurus
02-28-2015, 09:16 PM
Suspension info like "it was good" or "it was bad" is utterly worthless and not even worth posting.

MadCat360
02-28-2015, 10:10 PM
I have looked at this set a couple of months back but I end up with Teins Street Flex $950 out the door, for simple reasons of company support is well established (purely suspension company so figure they will live and die with their product), Rebuildable for $100 per corner (so can be custom spec), steel body therefore no cracking here, lastly the positive review out counts the negative ones plus the negs are pretty much subjective. In the end it is costing me about $80 a month with paypal credit no interest x 12 mos win win again just my 2 cents. GL with the project.

Well unfortunately the Teins are out of my budget and they don't really have the features I would like. I was also looking at the Megan EZ-streets and see generally positive things about them (obviously not stellar reviews though). I had my mind set on the Megans until I found these Skunk2 dealios. $850 is about the max I'm willing to spend. It's not a competition car. As long as the ride isn't like a Raceland or there aren't long term durability issues I'm fine with just perking up the handling so that it doesn't fall on it's face when I take it to the track. Seriously the brake dive is incredible.

The Skunks just drew me in because the fit, finish and build quality looked better than the Megans. Both have all the features I'm looking for (primarily 8k/6k springs, top hats, and adjustable dampers).

mx54life
02-28-2015, 11:30 PM
Suspension info like "it was good" or "it was bad" is utterly worthless and not even worth posting.

^^^Yes Sir. This is exactly why I opted for the Teins as their Street Flex have been dyno'd and race tested, not just subjectively reviewed by weekend warriors. They have been the unit by which some coilovers are build upon. I don't race either and the Teins are definitely an overkill for my use but I just want to make sure I spend on a well developed unit rather than a copy. Not that the latter is inferior but that I am guaranteed that my choice is superior for the price I opt to pay. Then again if you found what you want and the price is good go for it......you can't go wrong if you are happy.

radmachine
04-09-2015, 06:02 PM
Check out the Tein street advanced. I've heard good things about them so far. Decent on the wallet too.

Tkblazer
04-09-2015, 08:47 PM
The project g guys run them on their cars. They don't really do any performance driving and have them set pretty low. Joe did tell me they ride well at those heights, so you can gather the are good street/dd coils. Have you considered the fm vmaxx at all?