PDA

View Full Version : Source for colored Silca UltraLite NA key blanks

jstammer
02-28-2015, 10:44 PM
I have one of these keys and it is very nice. Many Miata nuts have been looking for these, and since I found a source for them, I wanted to share.

Silca UltraLite colored key blanks for NA models on ebay.

Coming out of Finland, $15.99 shipped. I just bought a red one. Already have a green one. These are sweet, but will bend if you aren't somewhat careful with them.

Here is a link to the guy's auction. Currently available in six colors: light blue, dark blue, green, orange, gold, red.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/UltraLite-color-key-blanks-for-1990-1997-Mazda-Miata-MX5-MX-5-NA/201151805948?_trksid=p5713.c100282.m3503&_trkparms=ao%3D1%26asc%3D29396%26meid%3D195716d2c7 a34b99aa3f6766f1df79a3%26pid%3D100282%26&rmvSB=true

Phatmiata
02-28-2015, 11:38 PM
These are actually made in China, not Finland. I looked into these a few years ago, but I would only recommend them as a spare because they are made from some metal alloy that bends/breaks easy. They cost less than a buck each if you buy them in bulk like the guy in Finland did. One of the guys from SoCal (EUNOS 96) Tom Probert bought a few boxes and was selling them on Facebook for $5.00 each shipped last year.

jstammer
02-28-2015, 11:40 PM
Well just poop on my parade why don't you. LOL.

BTW, love the Hot Wheels thread!

Phatmiata
03-01-2015, 12:03 AM
Just wanted to make sure folks don't use those as daily driver keys was all. It would suck if it broke off in your door or ignition. :shock:

jstammer
03-01-2015, 12:20 AM
That it would. When mine arrives I will compare it to the genuine Italian made Silca UltraLite that I already have.

jstammer
03-02-2015, 03:59 PM
Just an FYI, take this however you wish. Got an email from the guy in Finland as he stumbled upon this thread.

in his email he states that these are indeed original Silca keys, made in Italy. He found a source via the Silca factory and actually had to get a permit from Silca to buy these as there is an official Silca importer already in Finland.

Again, I will compare to my known genuine Silca UltraLite key once this arrives and post my opinion. My son has one of Probert's keys and it is a softer metal and will bend, but has held up in daily use. I will compare the one from Finland to both.

jstammer
03-12-2015, 03:36 PM
My red key has arrived. It looks different than the Probert key from facebook. This one, from Finland, looks like the one in the ads I have seen from Silca. It is also much more difficult to bend. In fact, I was unable to get it to bend at all.

The facebook one, didn't take much effort and has a textured back side to the top of the key and "mazda" imprinted on it. The genuine Silca key does NOT have "mazda" on it, but instead has "MAZ" in a corner.

I'm loving it and plan to get it cut as soon as I have some time. Life's been crazy the past three to four weeks for me.

My opinion... if you've wanted to get one, this is the only source I have been able to find in over a year or so. And they are the official Silca UltraLite NA key blanks.

fwdtamiya
03-21-2015, 09:22 PM
I've seen these advertised as being titanium, I didn't think so because of the way the metal felt in my hands and how flimsy it seemed, thanks for the heads up Randy.

etikoner
03-22-2015, 08:33 AM
I tried burning mine with a torch when I got it and nothing happened :/