PDA

View Full Version : Oh-io!

XCLR8TN
12-23-2011, 04:01 PM
Yep, any Ohio guys/gals... Here's your thread!

Perhaps we need a roll call? I'll start...

Jess - Akron area, but travel allllll over ;)

MartyMcfly
12-23-2011, 04:17 PM
OHHHH HAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY :tickled_pink:

Graeter
12-23-2011, 04:18 PM
Oh Hey!
Paul - ^By the two above me a couple months out of the year, NW of Cinci the other times (Oxford)

XCLR8TN
12-23-2011, 04:33 PM
Officially graced by the presence of two excellent car guys that happen to own Miatas :) excited to see how both of your cars progress!

Graeter
12-24-2011, 09:06 AM
Officially graced by the presence of two excellent car guys that happen to own Miatas :) excited to see how both of your cars progress!
I`m interested on how your car progresses considering that has been my plan since day one of ownership for my car!! This summer should be real fun!

Doward
12-25-2011, 11:46 PM
*Raises hand*

I only know of this forum thanks to Jess sending me a text, so thanks Jess!

I am in columbus

vejatabul
12-26-2011, 08:07 PM
Sup Jess.

XCLR8TN
12-26-2011, 08:16 PM
Sup josh!

Warl
01-20-2012, 11:25 AM
Heeeey Jess. :P

Oh, My name is Warl, Cleveland area.

XCLR8TN
01-20-2012, 11:28 AM
Oh hai!

MartyMcfly
02-12-2012, 09:20 PM
Its getting close to that time again.

One of the first meets of the year will be here...

Headlands Invasion - Summer Dustoff 2012

Mark your calendars! Rain or Shine!

I have decided to put together another GTG to start the season.

Now remember this GTG is to just hang out, BS and BBQ.
No prizes, no awards, just an enjoyable day to relax and hang with other regional cars, trucks and motorcycle on the beach in a non-competitive environment.

This is open to all types and manufactures of cars, trucks and motorcycles! If it rolls and is street legal then bring it up.

If this event is enjoyable and we get a decent turn out maybe we will do it every year.

Schedule:

Meet at Dave’s Cosmic Subs around 10:30 am to grab some subs and grub.

Dave’s Cosmic Subs
9664 Mentor Ave
Mentor, OH 44060
(440) 639-1969

From there we will head out around 11:40 am to eat lunch at the beach.
If you’re not in the mood for subs there are plenty of fast food restaurants that we will pass on the way to the beach which is only 6 miles away. There is Qdoba, Chipotle, BK, McDonalds, BW3's just to name a few.

And if subs or any of the fast food I mentioned aren't your thing, then feel free to bring a portable grill, german sausage in a can, brauts, chicken or dogs and have a picnic of your own.

GTG is here starting around 12:00:

Headlands Beach State Park:
9601 Headlands Road
Mentor, OH 44060

There will be plenty of room for you to play Corn hole or toss your bean bag at this State Park.

Hope you can make it and we look forward to seeing you. Please feel free to pass the info on to anyone who might have a good time and enjoy hanging out with car people.

P.S. please feel free to leave the douchebaggery at home. We don't want any of the tomfoolery at this event. Thank you.

Doward
02-12-2012, 09:23 PM
Did I miss something or, date? Count me in!

MartyMcfly
02-13-2012, 08:06 PM
Piss, lol.

I didn't write it, I just copypasta'd the email haha.

Sunday, May 6, 2012

XCLR8TN
02-13-2012, 08:20 PM
Yeah, thanks... I was wondering haha

Graeter
02-23-2012, 09:26 AM
Should be able to make it!

XCLR8TN
02-23-2012, 09:44 AM
Heads up, the guys over at mazdas247 have organized a meet this Saturday at the winking lizard in Bedford around 3pm. If you aren't on that board and want to go let me know I'll put you on the list!

MartyMcfly
02-23-2012, 10:28 PM
Im down.

Need to figure out a safe route for a lowered vehicle. lol

ChrisJuliano
02-23-2012, 10:30 PM
http://clubroadster.net/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=57235

:]

MartyMcfly
02-23-2012, 10:30 PM
And which one is the Bedford location? Miles Road?

I might be down for the autoshow, too. Gonna need to take another car or Jess will need to pick me up, lol. Fuck going anywhere near the IX center in my car.

ChrisJuliano
02-23-2012, 10:38 PM
Why is that^^? Bad area?

MartyMcfly
02-23-2012, 10:46 PM
The roads running up the the IX center and the parking lot are garbage. Its right next to the airport so theres a ton of traffic there. Im dragging exhaust already, I dont wanna rip it off.

ChrisJuliano
02-23-2012, 10:57 PM
Ill warn my crew cant be worse than my driveway, topspeed pro1s exhaust suck for lows:[

MartyMcfly
02-23-2012, 11:00 PM
Thats the GReddy clone, right? I'm running a GReddy, so I know your pain.

ChrisJuliano
02-23-2012, 11:04 PM
Yup its bad:X thanks for warning though!

psulja
02-29-2012, 03:07 PM
Might be in the Ohio area next Saturday visiting my sister in Newton Falls to pick up an exhaust with a fellow Miata owner. Just wondering if there are any good/fun roads to check out in the area while we're down there. Any tips?

XCLR8TN
02-29-2012, 03:24 PM
Are you coming from the east or west? I don't know any out that way but if you come back through to the west I can explain how to get to the valley, lots of good roads about an hour west of there.

psulja
02-29-2012, 03:49 PM
We'd be coming from the West

XCLR8TN
02-29-2012, 03:57 PM
I'll try and make a google route for you later :)

psulja
02-29-2012, 04:14 PM
Awesome, Thanks!

XCLR8TN
02-29-2012, 08:45 PM
Well it seems the easiest way would be to find I-80, take that all the way across until you come to the Hudson area and then exit on Route 8 South. (45 min)

However, if you don't want to pay the toll to do that, you can start by going south from Newton Falls and instead of 80, take 76 West to Route 21 North. (58 min)

One thing to note: the time listed above is how long it will take to GET you to the fun roads. The highways are obviously not the fun roads. The good thing about where I'll be leading you is that you can loop around and around a few times on the roads because there's so many of them in the Valley. I know of a few "good roads" elsewhere, but it's just one good road among many normal ones lol.

So, your objective should you choose to accept it: Find Cuyahoga Valley National Park (aka "The Valley").

Here is a google maps link that takes you from Newton Falls to Peninsula via 76W to 21/77N:
http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=newton+falls,+oh&daddr=41.06244,-81.48235+to:41.127402,-81.6525518+to:41.16195,-81.58162+to:Brandywine+Golf+Club,+Peninsula,+OH&hl=en&sll=41.187568,-81.563873&sspn=0.093142,0.154324&geocode=FSZ8dAIdHV8s-ynHuXfawFwxiDH9UwIxXdvSgA%3BFSiQcgIdkq0k-ykbfPrBmSkxiDGWhmQsc-Z49w%3BFeqNcwIduRQi-ynnN0TGY9AwiDGIiGQKRec1KA%3BFd4UdAIdzCkj-ykZlYy3l9kwiDFsDlkIjEzR-g%3BFW4XdQIdI7Yj-yF811SYAJGd-Cn_4Ih-Pd8wiDHkg5XztD4SIw&oq=brandywin,+oh&mra=dpe&mrsp=3&sz=13&via=1,2,3&t=h&z=13

You can exit at Ghent Rd and turn LEFT then continue straight where a road comes in from the left at a traffic light, then at the next light turn right (yellow creek rd). From there you can really explore the Valley... all those windy little roads coming off of Akron-Peninsula and Riverview Rd. are 35/45 zones and have a good amount of hills and curves. All of the ones to the East of Akron-Peninsula Rd start off on a hill. Like, a GOOD sized hill haha. If you're in a Miata I'd hold first gear for as long as possible but would definitely not want 3rd anytime before cresting the top.... if it's a nice day like today (60's, wtf!) watch for bicyclists, but I really haven't seen any since it is winter and all. Deer is the only other thing to watch for. Easy in the day, more difficult at night (I don't know when you're coming out here).

GPS will help you in the Valley for sure. Sometimes you can run a road and end up out of the Valley. You can either run that road back down or use a city street to help get you over to the next one and back down into the Valley. I do a good amount of fun runs down there and the only road I've seen cops on is Yellow Creek. Do NOT go speeding down Yellow Creek in the very beginning where it's mostly straight (right off Ghent road). Wait till after the bridge overhead and if possible, only after the very first sharp[er] left hander. They like to sit in that straight part catching people coming flying down at the end.

The southern part of NorthHampton Rd (before Cascade Valley Park) is very fun, albeit short and kind of a dead end (unless you run it in reverse to come back). Revere Rd. off of Yellow Creek has some good chicanes and elevation changes (if coming from the West turning left onto Revere needs to be done slowly and carefully--it's tight!)

To avoid confusion, Yellow Creek becomes Bath Rd. running it heading East. Also, running East... once you cross a little bridge (left hander), slow down and make sure to stop for the 3 way stop sign. Very very easy to miss the stop signs if you're really moving, and traffic coming at you from the right (blind) doesn't have to stop...

If you want a your guide or a wing(wo)man, shoot me a PM and I can text you my # and meet you in the Valley and hopefully help you navigate some :) I highlighted the roads I like the most though. I have run the Valley to/from work since 2009 hehehe

psulja
02-29-2012, 10:57 PM
Wow, thanks a lot. Depending what time we leave it'd be cool to meet up and have you lead us. I'll PM you and then if we do end up having enough time I'll text you so we can meet up. We'll probably do all the fun driving before picking up the exhaust just so I don't have the exhaust running around in my trunk. PM incoming.

XCLR8TN
02-29-2012, 11:03 PM
All this talk about it.... I just got back from a mini valley run :) worth noting: bath rd east of Akron peninsula is freshly paved, smoooooth, and windy. It's a 35 with a fair amount of houses along it.

psulja
02-29-2012, 11:21 PM
Sure, just rub it in lol. Around here everything is flat and straight. Really boring stuff so it's nice to go out to places that actually have fun roads to do some good driving.

XCLR8TN
02-29-2012, 11:28 PM
I have an iPhone video somewhere.... Let me find it!

Edit: found it. First part is straight/boring, then some curves, then some rainy curves.... Roads are steels corner to Akron peninsula to bath to revere

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJMj4sv3KD8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

psulja
02-29-2012, 11:30 PM
Same as the one in your mazda2 build thread?

XCLR8TN
02-29-2012, 11:45 PM
Possibly, I don't remember which I put in there. I know I had a park driving video in that thread. Same park, but that vid^^ is the part I mapped you to.

The Phen
03-05-2012, 04:23 PM
So umm... Hi, and stuff.

Too bad I wasn't on here earlier. I used to live near Newton Falls and know a few good roads in that immediate area.

XCLR8TN
03-05-2012, 04:28 PM
Phennnnn... Yo!

psulja
03-05-2012, 04:28 PM
I still haven't gone, it's this upcoming saturday.

The Phen
03-05-2012, 04:40 PM
Oooo, gotcha. Well let me see about putting something together for you then.

The Phen
03-07-2012, 08:29 AM
I think I'm gonna post up my MSM issues on here to see if anyone can help diagnose. Fingers crossed!

The Phen
03-10-2012, 03:00 PM
The valley run was fun for sure! Hopefully next time we see you guys, I'll have my MSM on the road.

XCLR8TN
03-10-2012, 03:19 PM
And mine as well...

Doward
03-10-2012, 03:39 PM
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b229/DRFTMX5/dans%20hijack%20album/MIataTurbo%20Cbus%20Meet/GOPR0259-1.jpg

LOL we had our meet on the same day down here it turns out...

The Phen
03-10-2012, 04:16 PM
A pic from ours.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7052/6970317437_9101ded8be_z.jpg

psulja
03-10-2012, 05:09 PM
Ya that was a lot of fun. Wish we had roads like that around where we live. Too bad my car kept misfiring so much every time I got on the throttle, and I'm already feeling sick lol.

Nice to meet you two.

I'll see if I have any pics to post when I get home. Still haven't left my sisters place.

The Phen
03-10-2012, 05:15 PM
I want to see the GoPro video!

psulja
03-10-2012, 05:27 PM
Lol! That was so funny. We were confused where you guys disappeared to.

Should be some good footage lol

psulja
03-11-2012, 10:29 PM
ugh! spoke too soon. all the footage was lost. I guess when the gopro went flying off the car something got messed up and we can't get the video to open up. bummer!

still not sure if we have any pictures, I'll have to ask my brother.

The Phen
03-12-2012, 06:41 AM
d'oh! that's a bummer.

blackchicken
03-13-2012, 11:02 PM
Phen & XLR8TN - This is Chicken lol. Was great to meet you and have you show us some of your local twisties. Sure beats what we have available in SW Ontario. Looking forward to maybe joining one of your meets in summer when you have your miatas back on the road and we are back on sticky summer rubber.

psulja
03-13-2012, 11:22 PM
Too bad you couldn't keep up on that last run, eh?

The Platypus
03-13-2012, 11:27 PM
Hey, I'll be going to Ohio for a few days in April to visit my Dad. Are there any cool places to go with him and possibly my twelve year-old brother? I'll be staying near Columbus.

The Phen
03-14-2012, 07:42 AM
Phen & XLR8TN - This is Chicken lol. Was great to meet you and have you show us some of your local twisties. Sure beats what we have available in SW Ontario. Looking forward to maybe joining one of your meets in summer when you have your miatas back on the road and we are back on sticky summer rubber.

Well... since you mention that...

Mark your calendars for June 1-3. That is the Grand Am race at Belle Isle in Detroit. We're going to have a car corral there. If you're not familiar with the car corrals that we do for the Grand Am races (and I'm sure you probably aren't), see the video below...

We already had the corral at the 24 Hours of Daytona. Up coming corrals are:

New Jersey May 11-13
Belle Isle - June 1-3
Mid-Ohio - June 8-10
Road America - June 22-24
Indy - July 27-29
Mazda Raceway - Sep 7-9

The Miata forums really don't get much information about the corrals because no one really gives a damn since it's not hardparking...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=19XUc2BiIW0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=19XUc2BiIW0

blackchicken
03-14-2012, 07:46 PM
Too bad you couldn't keep up on that last run, eh?

Ain't even tryin' bro... thanks to martee-GoPro-filmer-extraordinaire who was "moderating" my speed throughout with reminders of the speed limit and the majesty of the national park we were driving through... reminders that grew to crazy yelling on that last run when XL8RTN picked up the pace and you trolled her bumper... :mrgreen:

Speaking of cool Ohioan things, I snagged a photo of the coolest vending machine in the state.

The Phen
03-15-2012, 07:01 AM
Huh... we have vending machines that look like that??? Hahaha.

Installed a new head unit in the Civic yesterday. First new radio in that car since... 2003? Matter of fact, it's the first radio that's been in that car since 2007. Next up... exhaust so that I can actually hear the radio. LOL. The exhaust on that car is literally about 3ft long.

richterat83
03-15-2012, 01:46 PM
still too long, needs more front bumper dump

blackchicken
03-15-2012, 11:22 PM
The Phen - yup, edjumakational vending machines. Didn't know the cardinal was Ohio's state bird, now I do, all courtesy of a vending machine. Lol

chiefmg
03-17-2012, 04:57 PM
I can vouch for the Mazda corrals being great. I've been to two and my wife actually went to the one at Mid-Ohio last year without me (she wanted to see Patrick Dempsey). Wonderful bunch of Mazda-heads to hang out with. I'm just sorry I probably won't be able to make it to any this year.

Bryan
03-18-2012, 08:10 PM
Hey, I'll be going to Ohio for a few days in April to visit my Dad. Are there any cool places to go with him and possibly my twelve year-old brother? I'll be staying near Columbus.I'd say go to the arena district to see the Bluejackets play, but that assumes they'll make the playoffs (which ain't happenin' for at least the next decade :lol:).

There's always COSI (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COSI_Columbus) and Mid-Ohio.

The Phen
03-19-2012, 08:30 AM
I can vouch for the Mazda corrals being great. I've been to two and my wife actually went to the one at Mid-Ohio last year without me (she wanted to see Patrick Dempsey). Wonderful bunch of Mazda-heads to hang out with. I'm just sorry I probably won't be able to make it to any this year.

And I'm going to try to whore them out even more this year. haha.

I'm just hoping for no stories like last year...

psulja
03-19-2012, 11:36 PM
Those corrals look like they could be pretty fun. Might be something we can try to meet up for.

What do you mean by stories like last year?

The Phen
03-20-2012, 07:28 AM
Each and every corral has a memorable story that comes from it. I've been helping with these corrals for the last 4 years. Some stories are better than others. Chief here just happened to witness some of the more... memorable ones from the Mitty at Road Atlanta last year.

One of my favorites was at Lime Rock Park (CT) about 3 years ago. My buddy Fez was playing fetch with a friend's puppy at the track during our Sunday BBQ (No motorsports allowed on Sundays in CT). It had just gotten done storming, so the grass was a bit wet. Running around with the dog, trying to get the ball, Fez slipped and laid himself out. The dog walked up, dropped the ball and trotted off. I have a video of it too...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/18204582@N02/3565716855/in/set-72157618735190899

The Phen
03-20-2012, 07:33 AM
Another one...

Bosch 250 @ VIR, after the race. 2011

While sitting at Aunt Millie's Pizza Subs & Suds near the track, Tom was telling us stories of his early days as a JAG, being stationed in California. While talking about this, he mentioned a ship graveyard that he was on watch at. Marlon threw out the name of the town where it was located (I can't remember the name). All of a sudden, out of the blue (and a bit loud), Tom blurts out "Yeah, Vallejo bitches..." Don't ask me why, but it was one of the funniest damn things we had heard, and it proceeded to become a common phrase this year at all of the corrals. You'll commonly hear one of us that was at the race saying it from time to time. This is where it came from.

Keep in mind that Tom is a 53 year old lawyer

chiefmg
03-23-2012, 01:19 PM
I have signed a non-disclosure agreement, otherwise I would regale you with the Mitty story of which Phen speaks...However, I don't think my wife has signed!

darkcambria
03-23-2012, 09:01 PM
I have signed a non-disclosure agreement, otherwise I would regale you with the Mitty story of which Phen speaks...However, I don't think my wife has signed!

I didn't sign anything however if I spill stories on Phen, he has a few to spill on me.

The Phen
03-26-2012, 09:11 AM
I didn't sign anything however if I spill stories on Phen, he has a few to spill on me.

Heh... yeah, you were there too. All my homies were present.

XCLR8TN
04-01-2012, 10:11 AM
Phen & XLR8TN - This is Chicken lol. Was great to meet you and have you show us some of your local twisties. Sure beats what we have available in SW Ontario. Looking forward to maybe joining one of your meets in summer when you have your miatas back on the road and we are back on sticky summer rubber.Hey!! It was great meeting you guys :)

Ain't even tryin' bro... thanks to martee-GoPro-filmer-extraordinaire who was "moderating" my speed throughout with reminders of the speed limit and the majesty of the national park we were driving through... reminders that grew to crazy yelling on that last run when XL8RTN picked up the pace and you trolled her bumper... :mrgreen:
Yeah... sorry... I knew he wanted to go faster so I gave him some speed at the end lol ;) It's too bad you weren't filming to catch the yelling haha

Spinnywhoosh
04-02-2012, 03:41 PM
Hey are there any killer Miatas in the Toldeo area? I'm from Tampa Bay and am coming up there this weekend.. Just wondering if there are any events happening I could stop by and see some new rides.

psulja
06-27-2012, 01:28 AM
I'm really considering doing a "FunDay" at Nelson Ledges. I'm planning on going to Virginia for July 15th (original plan was to leave that morning and drive straight) but now I see they have a funday scheduled for the 14th. That could work out perfectly. I work the Friday until 4:00, I could pack up the car and drive down Friday night to stay at my sister's place in Newton Falls again and go to the track Saturday morning, then continue my trip Sunday morning. Would anybody else want to go to the lapping day? It's $130 for the day.

I still need to find a helmet though :/ and get new front brake pads.

http://www.nelsonledges.com/GOTFunDays.aspx

XCLR8TN
06-27-2012, 04:29 AM
Hey Paul I'll be going the 14th :) autointerests.com has a track day scheduled that day.... What size helmet do you wear?? I can probably bring one, I have a few Moto helmets

Edit: I guess autointerests may be canceling their event there... But I'll still go for the Funday.

psulja
06-27-2012, 09:21 AM
Awesome! I wear a medium I'm pretty sure.

XCLR8TN
06-27-2012, 09:47 AM
You're in luck! I'll bring an extra one :)

psulja
06-27-2012, 09:50 AM
Yay! Just talked to my sister and she's cool with me crashing at her place for the weekend too. Just a heads up, this will be my first track day.

I guess I better order my brakes, shifter rebuild kit and any other parts I might need this week.

Blueiii
07-04-2012, 03:16 PM
Add an Ohio member to the list! I'm picking up my "new to me" car on Sunday.

Bryan
07-04-2012, 10:01 PM
Add an Ohio member to the list! I'm picking up my "new to me" car on Sunday.Which end of the state are you on?

Blueiii
07-05-2012, 05:53 AM
The Toledo end.

Bryan
07-05-2012, 06:09 AM
The Toledo end.
Good deal.

From one Ohioan to another...Welcome :)

Blueiii
07-05-2012, 11:42 AM
Thanks. Been "shopping" for a miata for a while now. I seriously can't wait to pick it up on Sunday.

psulja
07-06-2012, 08:46 PM
Hey Paul I'll be going the 14th :) autointerests.com has a track day scheduled that day.... What size helmet do you wear?? I can probably bring one, I have a few Moto helmets

Edit: I guess autointerests may be canceling their event there... But I'll still go for the Funday.

Bad news... I have to cancel plans to go to the lapping day... things changed and i'm moving halfway across the country to Edmonton, AB on Monday lol.. maybe next summer :/

XCLR8TN
07-06-2012, 09:08 PM
Bad news... I have to cancel plans to go to the lapping day... things changed and i'm moving halfway across the country to Edmonton, AB on Monday lol.. maybe next summer :/

Nooooooooo! I wanted to see you on track lol. You were haulin on those snow tires... Bet you'd be great on track :(

XCLR8TN
07-06-2012, 09:08 PM
Add an Ohio member to the list! I'm picking up my "new to me" car on Sunday.

Hi! Pics of the car?

psulja
07-06-2012, 09:20 PM
Nooooooooo! I wanted to see you on track lol. You were haulin on those snow tires... Bet you'd be great on track :(

I wanted to see myself on the track too :'( Sucks I'll have to wait til next year. I tried to postpone the move to the day after the trackday but the company i'll be working for didn't want to wait that long for me to get out there. kind of bummed about that

Blueiii
07-07-2012, 06:59 AM
Hi! Pics of the car?

Don't have it yet, actually. Picking it up tomorrow, but been lurking here / miata.net . cr.net for six months. (And been shopping off and on for 5 years.)

Bryan
07-07-2012, 07:27 AM
Wow...that's a long shopping period! In 5 years, I've had 3 cars (still on the 3rd one) :lol:

Blueiii
07-07-2012, 09:38 AM
Well. . . I sold my bmw to go back to grad school, so money was really tight. I would say I've actively been looking at cars (regularly) for about a year, and in the past 4 months really started setting up appointments to view, up to about 2 1/2 hours away.

Bryan
07-07-2012, 10:21 AM
Well. . . I sold my bmw to go back to grad school, so money was really tight. I would say I've actively been looking at cars (regularly) for about a year, and in the past 4 months really started setting up appointments to view, up to about 2 1/2 hours away.
I understand. I picked up my first Miata a few months after I moved out on my own and had been in a full-time job, so I had money.

wannafbody
07-07-2012, 10:29 AM
Any of you guys run at Nelson Ledges? I'm about an hour or so out and would consider doing a HDPE there.

Grumpy
08-08-2012, 08:12 PM
Now that I'm moved in and have joined my car( it got here 4 days before I did) I can check in here. Hiya folks!

The Phen
08-09-2012, 07:02 AM
What is happening yo?

Bryan
08-09-2012, 08:43 AM
Looks like I'm in-state this weekend after two weekends on the road :)

The Phen
08-09-2012, 08:57 AM
Nice! I found out that I'll be leaving the country again for a few months in October. Yay?

The Phen
08-21-2012, 11:45 AM
What's happening locals?

Bryan
08-21-2012, 12:14 PM
I was in Waynesburg over the weekend visiting my parents. It's the first time my son has been to my hometown since he was born.

Unfortunately, I really didn't have time to socialize :(

The Phen
08-21-2012, 01:00 PM
Aaah, that's a bummer. A lot of my work trips have brought me close to friends lately but again, never time enough to capitalize on it.

Bryan
08-21-2012, 01:05 PM
Yeah...one thing nice about Waynesburg is that it's SOOOOOOOOOOO quiet...

...Whether it's morning...

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8305/7831935614_266e7a14ff_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/39576102@N00/7831935614/)
08-18-12_0003 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/39576102@N00/7831935614/) by bryanewyatt (http://www.flickr.com/people/39576102@N00/), on Flickr

...or at night.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7256/7832243860_49f6afa539_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/39576102@N00/7832243860/)
08-17-12_0013 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/39576102@N00/7832243860/) by bryanewyatt (http://www.flickr.com/people/39576102@N00/), on Flickr

The Phen
08-21-2012, 01:12 PM
Very neat shot with the stars. How long of an exposure did you use?

Bryan
08-21-2012, 01:19 PM
Very neat shot with the stars. How long of an exposure did you use?
30sec. Would have used longer, but I didn't have a remote.

Grumpy
08-21-2012, 02:19 PM
Def. a very cool shot with the stars! so wtf is up with my company not having breaks/lunches, just cause ohio has no employee protection laws. this kinda sucks working over 6 hours with no lunch.

The Phen
08-21-2012, 02:58 PM
They do for minors. I guess I never realized they don't have it for regular workers because I've had good employers thus far.

Blueiii
08-21-2012, 04:33 PM
There are laws about it. . . its been YEARS since I had to deal with it, but if I recall its:
Anything over 6.5 hours = 1/2 hour unpaid break
Over 4 but under 6.5 = 15 min paid break

Anyone from here heading to the Toledo SCCA event this weekend? I know there are a bunch of miata guys coming in from throughout the state.

The Phen
08-22-2012, 07:40 AM
There's supposed to be some non Miata guys from my area going to it. I'm not able to as I'm out of town for a family reunion this weekend.

Grumpy
08-23-2012, 11:52 AM
couldn't find any ohio laws, and there is no federal one. guess that's why I worked 9 hours with one 15 min break. bleah.

Blueiii
08-23-2012, 12:32 PM
I stand corrected.

Q: Do employers need to give employees lunch and restroom breaks?

A: No, under Ohiolaw the employer is not required to give lunch or restroom breaks. However, if the employee is under 18 years of age, an employer is required to give the employee a half hour break for every 5 hours worked.

The Phen
08-28-2012, 08:30 AM
What's happening folks?

Bryan
08-28-2012, 08:31 AM
Goin to Texas for Labor Day weekend. Should be a good time :)

Grumpy
08-28-2012, 07:43 PM
guess that means you won't be here for the RC thing at the museum then? dang. was looking forward to meeting you!

I'll be in Cinci (just south of west chester) this coming weekend for work, but since I'm working the nights, (5pm to 5 am saturday and sunday nights) I didn't figure any way to get together. Is there anything going on early sunday? cars and coffee maybe? I know you mentioned Fuel on Sat, but thought I'd ask. I would be commuting with others, unless I get plans.

Bryan
08-28-2012, 08:55 PM
guess that means you won't be here for the RC thing at the museum then? dang. was looking forward to meeting you!

I'll be in Cinci (just south of west chester) this coming weekend for work, but since I'm working the nights, (5pm to 5 am saturday and sunday nights) I didn't figure any way to get together. Is there anything going on early sunday? cars and coffee maybe? I know you mentioned Fuel on Sat, but thought I'd ask. I would be commuting with others, unless I get plans.I'm sorry about that. My wife wanted to see her family before Thanksgiving, and this was the most logical weekend to make that happen :(

I think FUEL has bikes in on Sundays. You can check their Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/FuelCoffeeCincy) for more info.

Grumpy
08-28-2012, 10:35 PM
No worries Bryan, family comes first, as it ought to. depending on work and life, I may head over there to watch anyway.

Miata Biker Guy
08-29-2012, 07:08 AM
Just saw this thread! And wanted to give a shout out to some OH-IO peeps! I am from the Collinwood area of Cleveland, moved and went to Highschool in Aurora, and now live in Sunny Tampa Florida with my top down all the time! Lets Go Buckeye's!!!!!!!!! And Lets Go Browns!!!!

Bryan
08-29-2012, 10:08 AM
Welcome :)

The Phen
08-30-2012, 07:45 AM
What's up folks???

Bryan
08-30-2012, 08:34 AM
Trying to make it through the week so I can get to a long weekend :)

The Phen
08-30-2012, 08:35 AM
Trying to make it through the week so I can get to a long weekend :)

Amen. 4 day weekend for me. Go back to work for 2 days, then off to Laguna Seca!

Grumpy
08-31-2012, 12:09 PM
well, work in Cinci was cancelled, so instead of making money, I'll be spending money. Considering going to the Renaissance festival in Waynesville. It's been a while since I've been to one. Anyone else go to these?

3MiataFamily
09-18-2012, 11:42 PM
For those in the Cleveland area...

http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread.php?3350-Fireball-Run-Adventurally-Northern-Exposure

Departing on this adventure on Wednesday.

if you are near any of the following towns...Independence, OH Sept 21..Jamestown, NY Sept 22..Wellsboro, PA Sept 24..Watertown, NY Sept 25...Schenectady, NY Sept 26..Waterbury, CT Sept 27..Ogunquit, ME Sept 28..Bangor, ME Sept 29

Come out and see us!!..we love meeting other Miata folks!!

3MiataFamily
09-20-2012, 08:58 AM
Should be arriving in Independence,OH about 2 30 this afternoon

Feel free to look us up at the Doubletree Inn...Fireball Run HQ

3MiataFamily
09-20-2012, 11:55 PM
Doubletree Inn is hosting a cruise in/car show on Friday evening starting at 5pm...come on out and meet Nadine, the LS1 V8 Miata...

The Phen
09-21-2012, 07:45 AM
I may swing out that way today. Supposed to go hiking with a friend of mine, but maybe I can drag him out here first. Haha.

3MiataFamily
09-21-2012, 08:00 PM
It rained this evening and the car show/cruise in fizzled pretty early...BUT!!

All teams in house...lots of folks from all over and everyone is super nice. Local media coverage ..Fireball production crew filming their asses off..Nadine still getting lots of Holy S#%t! comments and people are amazed at the trunk lid. Chris and I took care of some last minute things today and got back to the Doubletree just before the evening activities started. Contacted a local Boy Scout Troop and Cub Scout Pack to meet up with tomorrow at driver/team official check in...really big deal in the middle of downtown goes most of the day. Something called Fall Fest...Elmwood park...Selig Blvd..open to public...goes most of the day.

Stay tuned!

3MiataFamily
09-22-2012, 11:01 PM
Gentleman and his wife from Northshore Miata Club stopped in to see us today...

They seemed to enjoy the atmosphere and all the cars...loved Nadine!

Grumpy
10-24-2012, 09:05 AM
A few of the local club (Miami Valley) is meeting up with the Ohio Valley club to take a drive through the Shawnee forest on saturday. gonna be a long day of driving, but hopefully worth it! The roads there look fun!

Grumpy
10-28-2012, 10:06 AM
Possibility of rain and 40deg temps, = cancelled run. I has a sad.

Blueiii
10-28-2012, 12:57 PM
Might there be interest in planning an Ohio GTG somewhere more central next Spring?

Bryan
10-28-2012, 08:16 PM
Is there somewhere to drive in Central OH? I mean, if we're just hanging, out, I'm cool with that, too.

Blueiii
10-28-2012, 09:53 PM
Got me - I just figured it would be best to pick a place to bring in all the Ohio guys. . . It would be especially fun to do an autocross weekend or Mid-Ohio. (I've never tracked my car and only autocrossed; I'd love to track her sometime.)

Bryan
10-28-2012, 10:31 PM
Got me - I just figured it would be best to pick a place to bring in all the Ohio guys. . . It would be especially fun to do an autocross weekend or Mid-Ohio. (I've never tracked my car and only autocrossed; I'd love to track her sometime.)
Trackday would mean I'm out...no roll bar :(

Blueiii
10-29-2012, 05:58 AM
Autocross day? Then you don't need a bar. Actually, a bunch of guys from Columbus bring their miatas up to Toledo for one of the races. Maybe even plan it around that weekend?

Bryan
10-29-2012, 09:24 AM
I'm really good for whatever. Just need to know well in advance so I can get my permission slip stamped.

XCLR8TN
10-29-2012, 11:20 AM
I really wish I was getting notifications on here... for some reason I'm not and missed out on all the fun from the page before. :(

Traveler
12-07-2012, 12:29 PM
Hi folks -
I'm contemplating a move to Columbus Ohio, and just wondering about the Miata community there. I've been out in LA for a couple years, and I know I'd miss the KINOD Miata community here, and all the SoCal tracks!! Are there regular meets of any sort in Columbus?

As for tracks, my 949Racing friends were recently at Mid-Ohio, it looks pretty good. Also I noticed a few pages back in this thread a track called Nelson Ledges. Is it easy to get several Saturday track days in Ohio, in a given year?

XCLR8TN
12-07-2012, 02:53 PM
Hi folks -
I'm contemplating a move to Columbus Ohio, and just wondering about the Miata community there. I've been out in LA for a couple years, and I know I'd miss the KINOD Miata community here, and all the SoCal tracks!! Are there regular meets of any sort in Columbus?

As for tracks, my 949Racing friends were recently at Mid-Ohio, it looks pretty good. Also I noticed a few pages back in this thread a track called Nelson Ledges. Is it easy to get several Saturday track days in Ohio, in a given year?

I met Emilio at Mid Ohio at that event! I'm currently at Thunderhill helping out at the T25. :)

Mid-Ohio will be more expensive than Nelson for sure. Nelson is very bumpy, I like it because it feels like you're flying down a country road lol. There are trackdays there pretty often with groups, or you can do fun days. :)

wannafbody
12-07-2012, 03:55 PM
Nelson Ledges is a tight technical course with a top speed in a Miata of about 100 mph. Prices are pretty cheap for a track day compared to other tracks. If you guys do a day there PM me, I'd be interested.

Traveler
12-07-2012, 07:34 PM
I met Emilio at Mid Ohio at that event! I'm currently at Thunderhill helping out at the T25. :)

Wait a second....Were you the guy that flew out here and was staying with 949 driver Sonny W. the past few days in SoCal? If so, I'm the other guy that lives in that house! I was in Columbus last week, and all over the east coast the past 3 weeks.

Nelson Ledges is a tight technical course with a top speed in a Miata of about 100 mph. Prices are pretty cheap for a track day compared to other tracks. If you guys do a day there PM me, I'd be interested.

Tight and technical, I like it. Although I also like some elevation changes and Nelson Ledges looks pretty flat. I'm being too picky though. Good to hear that track days are easy to come by!

No regular Miata meets in Central Ohio? I'm thinking the KINOD community here is kinda unique, and maybe hard to replicate - especially without a bunch of 20-something Asians lol. Where I used to live in Georgia, there was a Miata club, but it was a wine and cheese kind of group. I met a couple of them, saw their website that seemed to be focused on progressive dinners and calm countryside drives on beautiful fall days. I never showed up.

Bryan
12-07-2012, 09:03 PM
No regular Miata meets in Central Ohio? I'm thinking the KINOD community here is kinda unique, and maybe hard to replicate - especially without a bunch of 20-something Asians lol. Where I used to live in Georgia, there was a Miata club, but it was a wine and cheese kind of group. I met a couple of them, saw their website that seemed to be focused on progressive dinners and calm countryside drives on beautiful fall days. I never showed up.
Weather has a lot to do with it, admittedly.

Doward
12-07-2012, 10:27 PM
I was also up at Mid Ohio with Emilio and Tom.
There is a Buckeye Chapter of the Miata Club of America here, thats your wine n cheesers. Except we host our own private autocrosses! We usually have 6-8 per year, spring through fall. Then there are a couple of us from MiataTurbo.net that get together 2-3 times a summer. The weather makes it hard for a KINOD like thing to take hold. Im at every Mid Ohio NASA event instructing and am always trying to get people to come up.

The Phen
12-09-2012, 08:28 PM
There's quite a few folks from the Akron / Cleveland area that come down to Mid-Ohio for the NASA events. Just... very few of them have Miatas. Strong Ohio membership all around on the other forums that I'm on. Will keep you folks posted on events that come up. I always have cookouts at my place throughout the summer, also have wrenching meets from time to time too. I'm 2 hours north of Columbus tho.

Blueiii
12-09-2012, 10:47 PM
Where at 2 hours north of C-bus? If you have wrenching meets I will (likely) be there!

MartyMcfly
12-10-2012, 03:06 AM
facebook.com/fatmansinvasion

Easily one of the largest car events in the region. Everyone should show up for the spring opener! Like the page on FB and they'll update you when the date is available.

The Phen
12-10-2012, 08:43 PM
Where at 2 hours north of C-bus? If you have wrenching meets I will (likely) be there!

I'm near Akron in Munroe Falls.

XCLR8TN
12-13-2012, 12:51 PM
Wait a second....Were you the guy that flew out here and was staying with 949 driver Sonny W. the past few days in SoCal? If so, I'm the other guy that lives in that house! I was in Columbus last week, and all over the east coast the past 3 weeks.

Tight and technical, I like it. Although I also like some elevation changes and Nelson Ledges looks pretty flat. I'm being too picky though. Good to hear that track days are easy to come by!No... I'm a chick, lol.

Nelson is pretty flat. I took video in the Miata when I went:

http://youtu.be/U0AtN9JRSh0

And, I never joined the local Miata club mainly because it was all older married couples. I want to go fast, lol.

Bryan
12-13-2012, 01:34 PM
And, I never joined the local Miata club mainly because it was all older married couples. I want to go fast, lol.Hey! I'm old[er than you] and married, and I like to go fast...:cry2:

XCLR8TN
12-13-2012, 01:37 PM
Haha, I don't mean it like that. Just those people weren't on the same page I was. I'm not generalizing, I went to a few meets to feel them out.

I may show up again once my car is done though lol :)

Bryan
12-13-2012, 05:00 PM
Haha, I don't mean it like that. Just those people weren't on the same page I was. I'm not generalizing, I went to a few meets to feel them out.

I may show up again once my car is done though lol :)
I know what you meant. It's all good :)

The Phen
12-19-2012, 07:53 AM
I'm home! Haven't had more than 10 minutes to myself, but I'm here anyway.

chiefmg
12-19-2012, 07:41 PM
Home, but still crazy.

What Bryan has said is why I haven't signed up for the Cincy Miata club. I'm not hardcore by any means but I do like my performance. I don't need anyone telling me I shouldn't do what I want to my car. Plus I'm not a big joiner anyway (being gone so much has a lot to do with that).

Grumpy
12-19-2012, 08:15 PM
Guess all the clubs in Ohio are similar, lol. Same situation here. I did join if only cause I miss hanging with miata folks. They're having a polar bear run on New years eve (day). We will see how that goes!

Traveler
12-20-2012, 02:27 AM
Well, it's definite, as of this afternoon: I'm moving from Los Angeles to Columbus. I'll probably be locating myself in the Worthington/Westerville area, but definitely the north end of town. Looking forward to meeting Miata peeps in Ohio, and doing some track days at Mid-Ohio and Nelson Ledges....and wherever else might be within about a 3 hour drive.

I'm not at all a knowledgeable mechanic (though I've done all the mods myself, with the help/guidance of friends), and not really a very knowledgeable driver when it comes to the technical stuff - though I've been running at the top of the Intermediate run groups at the Cali track events, and at least mid-pack in the Advanced Intermediate groups. In April I'm driving back out to Cali for a big event at Laguna Seca, and my first open passing track day!!!

My car is a 2005 Mazdaspeed, Black Mica. Flyin Miata Intake kit, Boss Frog double hoop roll bar, Racing beat front sway, Flyin Miata springs on my stock Bilsteins, and a few other odds and ends. And 6ULs/R-S3s for track days. The car will remain mine until I'm too old to drive! :)

In SoCal we have Speed Ventures, ExtremeSpeed, etc: organizations that rent tracks for the weekend, and then run track events for everybody who signs up (Speed Ventures does a season long Miata Challenge series, competition for lap times). Are there parallel organizations running track events in Ohio? I looked at the Mid-Ohio site and didn't see much of that kind of event. Maybe its mainly NASA events?

Strong Ohio membership all around on the other forums that I'm on. Will keep you folks posted on events that come up. I always have cookouts at my place throughout the summer, also have wrenching meets from time to time too. I'm 2 hours north of Columbus tho.

What forums have the strongest Ohio Miata communities?

No... I'm a chick, lol.

Yeah, sorry for the assumption lol. I learned your identity talking with Sonny when he got back from Thunderhill 25. He says, by the way, that you and another girl there were awesome and worked pretty much straight through. :)

Doward
12-20-2012, 08:48 AM
Well, it's definite, as of this afternoon: I'm moving from Los Angeles to Columbus. I'll probably be locating myself in the Worthington/Westerville area, but definitely the north end of town. Looking forward to meeting Miata peeps in Ohio, and doing some track days at Mid-Ohio and Nelson Ledges....and wherever else might be within about a 3 hour drive.

Grattan, Gingerman, BeaveRun, Nelson, Mid Ohio, etc
Check the NASA Great Lakes and NASA Midwest schedules. We have a crossover event once a year. Usually at mid Ohio.

In SoCal we have Speed Ventures, ExtremeSpeed, etc: organizations that rent tracks for the weekend, and then run track events for everybody who signs up (Speed Ventures does a season long Miata Challenge series, competition for lap times). Are there parallel organizations running track events in Ohio? I looked at the Mid-Ohio site and didn't see much of that kind of event. Maybe its mainly NASA events?

We certainly don't have the same selection or volume of events. NASA/SCCA are the big two, Chin Motorsports and MVP Track Time host a few weekends per year. I also take advantage of BMW. And Porsche club events.

What forums have the strongest Ohio Miata communities?

Honestly, Facebook. Lol. "Ohio Miata Owners"
There are Ohio threads on all the big forums I suppose. But theyre not very active.

Traveler
12-20-2012, 10:33 PM
Thanks for the information : )

Bryan
12-21-2012, 02:47 PM
What forums have the strongest Ohio Miata communities?I've yet to find an answer to that question.

chiefmg
12-22-2012, 05:24 PM
I'd say it's the one that someone puts the most time into. Right now I'm seeing a lot of activity on the Facebook Ohio Miata page.

Blueiii
12-22-2012, 06:13 PM
Yup - I'm on there, too. Kind of curious to see if there will be any events this summer. (Wrenching weekend, perhaps??)

beans
01-31-2013, 09:40 AM
Did I hear spumante?

Bryan
01-31-2013, 01:23 PM
Did I hear spumante?
What's that?

beans
02-01-2013, 11:39 AM
Italian sparkling wine. I keep it classy.
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/343/462/79a.gif

Bryan
02-01-2013, 03:13 PM
Indeed :lol:

Blueiii
02-03-2013, 05:11 PM
Dang, I thought you said spumoni....

beans
02-04-2013, 11:23 AM
I feel like a huge pile of dump today. Called it quits at 10PM last night, too. Damn bloody mary's and jambalaya.

Left0verCurry
06-18-2013, 06:39 AM
Bumping this thread, i think i might be moving close to dayton pretty soon.

Bryan
06-18-2013, 08:12 AM
Any of you guys going to MATG?