PDA

View Full Version : Rear Main Seal: Just How Hard is It?

jesseshoots
01-19-2012, 04:17 PM
My rear main seal is leaking like there's no tomorrow. I know the part is cheap, but I've never done one.

What's your take on how hard/long it is and what all does the swap entail

Neocataboi
01-19-2012, 05:40 PM
It's pretty hard. if it is your first time give yourself a couple of days. you need to remove the PPF, driveshaft and then the trans. if you are doing it with the car on jack stands it can be a major pain. to get the two bolts at the top of the tranny. I personally think it is fast to simply pull the motor and do everything else while you are at it. i think i can take the motor out in as much time as just the tranny.

jesseshoots
01-19-2012, 06:47 PM
I had the clutch done not too long ago, so there is no need in swapping that, the shop just did a terrible job replacing the seal. But It wouldn't be too awful to pull the motor I guess. That way I could get everything cleaned up and do the timing belt job while I was at it. If only I didn't have a short nose crank haha

RotorNutFD3S
01-19-2012, 08:07 PM
Yep, as weird as it sounds, if jackstands are your only method of lifting, you might find pulling the engine as the easier method. Especially when it comes to reattaching the transmission to the engine, that's a pain if you are laying under the car. I pull/reinstall the engine and transmission as one assembly every time. Don't forget to replace the flywheel bolts either when you replace the seal, they don't exactly wear out, but it's a peace of mind thing IMO. Probably a good idea to replace the transmission's rear seal too, but that's an easy one to do once the driveshaft is out of the way.

jesseshoots
01-19-2012, 08:29 PM
I guess the search for an engine hoist begins! Or I wait until the next MX5ATL tech day ;D

revlimiter
01-19-2012, 10:36 PM
It's just a clutch job. Honestly not that hard. I've done one in an afternoon before.

Of course, pulling an engine isn't hard either. But you need a hoist.

Maikeru
01-19-2012, 10:56 PM
You could do it in one day depending on how many hours your willing to put in. When I did mine, it took two days, but that's because it was in my buddy's garage. I had to leave when he went to work, and wait for him to wake up the next day to get in. lol. For the 1st time, it probably took 6 hours on the ground. Now that I know how to get to all the bolts easily, probably half that.

WASABI
01-19-2012, 11:05 PM
I just had to do the same thing. Replaced the clutch last summer, and rear main seal (but left out 4 bolts), soooooooo she leaked, LOTS. Like I was going through a quart of oil every week. I ended up looking into the leak, thinking I installed the rear main seal incorrectly. So I ripped into it again this summer. Bought another new clutch because I assumed the one in it would be covered in oil. It does help to have friends with lifts!
http://www.fagerquist.com/miata/clutch-seal.jpg

zenit
01-19-2012, 11:20 PM
I'd give yourself a weekend if you're experienced, and a week if you've never done it before.

Once you've pulled it, be careful about going nuts with cleaning and replacement.
That could land you in about weeks worth of work.

For instance, I just cleaned the exterior and bell housing of my trans, and it took four hours. Very, very, dirty.
Trans seals were replaced too. (1 hr)
Then a fluid swap (1 hr)
Just know exactly what you want to do once you've got everything pulled.

jesseshoots
01-19-2012, 11:40 PM
I have a buddy who has done multiple clutch jobs on his NA and would be more than willing to help so I'll probably just do it on jackstands whenever we both have a weekend off from work.

Or how much more difficult is it to pull the motor and would it be worth it?

zenit
01-19-2012, 11:50 PM
I tried to put the car on jackstands and pull the trans from underneath, but the trans input shaft was stuck on the pilot bearing and I had to pull the entire engine/trans assembly.

Also, it's much more pleasant to work on once you have both out. Good luck properly torquing those top trans bolts from underneath.

sharkythesharkdogg
01-20-2012, 09:10 AM
I'm pulling the transaxle on an '08 Mugen Civic right now, and it's making me appreciate these cars that much more.

friday
01-20-2012, 10:31 AM
I'm pulling the transaxle on an '08 Mugen Civic right now, and it's making me appreciate these cars that much more.

Transaxles are shit. FWD sucks for many reasons, and transaxles are one of the big ones.

jesseshoots
01-20-2012, 10:41 AM
Transaxles are shit. FWD sucks for many reasons, and transaxles are one of the big ones.

I agree on so many levels! Every time I work on my buddy's maxima I can't wait to get back home to work on the Miata!