PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Miata Bose® Sound System

MRnewsBot
05-19-2015, 12:56 PM
All-New 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata Features Redesigned Bose® Sound System Optimized For Open-Air Driving

MAY 19, 2015 -- Today, Bose announces a new sound system for Mazda’s fourth-generation MX-5 Miata roadster. Redesigned and updated with newly engineered speakers and proprietary technologies, the Bose® system in the 2016 MX-5 delivers improved audio performance -- optimized for driving with the top down.

http://i.imgur.com/pYA9lSa.jpg

“Through the years of our close collaboration with Mazda, we’ve witnessed firsthand how the MX-5 has become an industry icon with a loyal legion of owners and enthusiasts around the globe,” said Marc Mansell, vice president, Bose Automotive Systems Division. “So, we wanted to make the sound system for the new MX-5 better than it’s ever been. We improved audio quality, and for open-air driving, the experience is thrilling. You’ll feel and hear the difference the first time you listen.”

Adjusting for Open-Air Driving

Cabin acoustics in the MX-5 differ significantly depending on roof position. When the top is down, reproducing lifelike sound with a conventional approach compromises clarity and musical detail -- vocals and instruments can be lost when competing with ambient noise. But advanced Bose engineering solves that. Bose tuned the system with two separate equalization (EQ) settings -- one for top-down driving and one for top-up. The EQ settings, combined with Bose AudioPilot® 2 noise compensation technology, adjust automatically depending on roof position, wind noise and road noise.

http://i.imgur.com/J8Ooj3J.jpg

Bose also added new speakers to the driver and passenger seat headrests. Debuting in the 2016 Mazda MX-5, each pair of 2-inch (50mm) Bose® UltraNearfield™ speakers were developed specifically for headrest placement and performance -- rather than simply placing conventional speakers in a headrest to add a feature. The new Bose UltraNearfield speakers work with proprietary Bose TrueSpace® digital signal processing technology -- and it’s this combination that delivers on the promise of headrest speakers. TrueSpace technology creates a wide sound stage, even though the speakers are just inches away from the listener. The music envelops the driver and passenger, it’s spacious and natural, and remarkably, it doesn’t fade in the breeze.

http://i.imgur.com/cYLcBAI.jpg

A pair of 6.5-inch (165mm) speakers are placed in each door for full-range sound, and 1-inch (25mm) neodymium tweeters are located in each A-pillar for enhanced high-frequency clarity. Powerful bass is delivered by a 5.25-inch (130mm) woofer housed in a 6-liter custom enclosure designed to fit under the front passenger footwell without taking up valuable cabin space. Completing the system is a dedicated, 7-channel digital Bose amplifier mounted below the MX-5’s convertible-top storage space.

The 2016 MX-5 Miata continues a long history of collaboration and innovation between Bose and Mazda. The first Bose sound system for Mazda was introduced in 1993, and Bose audio has been offered in Miata models since 1998.

About Bose Automotive Systems

In the early 1980s, Bose engineers created the world’s first factory-installed premium sound systems for General Motors luxury automobiles. Unlike conventional or aftermarket automotive systems, Bose systems were designed and tuned for a specific vehicle -- and changed the industry.

Since then, Bose has developed proprietary speaker designs, advanced amplification and signal processing technologies, exclusive analysis and design tools, and technology for managing engine and powertrain sounds inside vehicles -- all based on a heritage of research and engineering.

Today, Bose® automotive sound systems are recognized globally as the industry benchmark for performance and customer satisfaction. For more information, visit Bose.com/auto.

About Bose Corporation

Bose Corporation was founded in 1964 by Dr. Amar G. Bose, then a professor of electrical engineering at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Today, the company is driven by its founding principles, investing in long-term research with one fundamental goal: to develop new technologies with real customer benefits. Bose innovations have spanned decades and industries, creating and transforming categories in audio and beyond. Bose products for the home, in the car, on the go, and in public spaces have become iconic. From the company’s home entertainment systems and Wave® music systems, to high-quality audio and noise cancelling headphones, digital music systems, Bluetooth® speakers, and professional solutions, Bose has changed the way people listen to music.

Bose Corporation is privately held. The company’s spirit of invention, passion for excellence, and commitment to extraordinary customer experiences can be found around the world -- everywhere Bose does business.

The Bluetooth® word mark is a registered trademark owned by Bluetooth SIG, Inc. and any use of such mark by Bose Corporation is under license.

source: http://www.mazdausamedia.com/2015-05-19-All-New-2016-Mazda-MX-5-Miata-Features-Redesigned-Bose-Sound-System-Optimized-For-Open-Air-Driving#assets_112:23888

Demon I Am
05-19-2015, 01:04 PM
Bose Blows

Phatmiata
05-19-2015, 01:55 PM
I like their home sound equipment, but at any rate its nice to see they brought back the headrest speakers! So if you no likely the Bose it leaves room to modify !!!! :slayer:

Agent☣Orange
05-20-2015, 11:22 AM
I'll wait until I hear it but yes, kinda cool to see headrest speakers return in response to top down driving along with the custom mini sub. I'm sure it won't be long before we read about upgraded sound systems though. I have never been impressed with Bose in Miatas but I'll keep an open mind, remembering that the MX5 is about driving experience for the price point more than premium sound. Bose actually did a very good job in 2012+ Corvettes.

tsingson
05-20-2015, 11:37 AM
BOSE has always been good for home. A lot of their speakers are still using paper cones. I remember almost all of the Maxima BOSE speakers were paper. When I was working at the stereo shop, we would pull them out all the time. Customers wanted better sound.

fwdtamiya
05-20-2015, 11:39 AM
Bose tuned the system with two separate equalization (EQ) settings -- one for top-down driving and one for top-up.
Bringing back ground breaking technology from the NA :lol:

a 5.25-inch (130mm) woofer...designed to fit under the front passenger footwell without taking up valuable cabin space.
That sounds familiar. :lol:

Tkblazer
05-20-2015, 12:47 PM
No highs and no lows, Bose

MemphisMiata
05-20-2015, 12:57 PM
Bringing back ground breaking technology from the NA :lol:

That sounds familiar. :lol:

Yeah, but mine's BIGGER! :)14202