PDA

View Full Version : 1.8 GTX cam cover swap

D L M
01-22-2012, 04:18 AM
I've just recently purchase a 1.8 GTX valve cover and I know that there are some slight mods that need to be done to get the cover to fit. I've been looking in the interwebs to see if there are any tutorials with no luck. Has anyone ever done this mod? I don't really want to relocate my coil pack and if I can get away with plugging the breather hole in the back of the cam cover I will.

Phatmiata
01-22-2012, 04:28 PM
I moved my coil pack over and then used longer factory NGK plug wires from the Protege, bought some longer vacuum line hose from the auto parts store. I was going to tap the other side to relocate the breather hose but never got around to it. You can see my photo below to get an idea of how I ran the breather line.

http://farm2.staticflickr.com/1425/5146804721_0a0d04d6ec_z.jpg

D L M
01-22-2012, 07:20 PM
I moved my coil pack over and then used longer factory NGK plug wires from the Protege, bought some longer vacuum line hose from the auto parts store. I was going to tap the other side to relocate the breather hose but never got around to it. You can see my photo below to get an idea of how I ran the breather line.

http://farm2.staticflickr.com/1425/5146804721_0a0d04d6ec_z.jpg

Did you fab a bracket for your coil pack? I may just do the same thing.

Phatmiata
01-22-2012, 08:20 PM
yes, i made a small bracket to push the coil pack over closer to the passenger side of the car, otherwise that breather tube would get in the way.

jux
01-22-2012, 09:33 PM
Whadya know? I thought the covers HAD to be modified internally (baffles and whatnot) for us to use 'em. Good info!

And leave it to you, Randy, to use the correct ARC intake box with the chamber. How many times do we actually see that box in the states, anyway?

Phatmiata
01-22-2012, 10:22 PM
That cover on mine was the last one I did, I got it from a Protege, there are not any internal changes that need to be made. the motor from the NA8C was also used in the older 1.8L Protege, 1.8L Austina, & 1.8L GTX, just was mounted sideways for the FWD setup.