PDA

View Full Version : Red lighting for instrumentation

kung fu jesus
07-04-2015, 07:13 PM
I have a spare instrument cluster that has an odometer reading within 250 miles of the original in the car.

I want to change all my instrumentation to red. I have read about removing the coatings on the back (attention AO!), but I want to be be clear how much to remove and which solvent works the best? Any tips?

Demon I Am
07-04-2015, 07:35 PM
I used fingernail polish remover, acetone, and a few cotton balls on my NA.

Or just order a set from Adam.

kung fu jesus
07-04-2015, 08:14 PM
How about the HVAC panel? I read it will remove everything on that. I just want to remove the green and back light it with red.

Phatmiata
07-04-2015, 08:33 PM
For the gauge cluster I used a razor blade to scratch off the white paint off the back of the gauge needles.

Then I painted the backside of the needles with red Testors modeling paint

You can order Red LED lights from ebay.

You can do this with any other color too

Demon I Am
07-04-2015, 08:39 PM
The HVAC panel I was not able to change until I bought Revlimiter's panel faces. There is like a glue coating over to the illuminated areas that would not dissolve

revlimiter
07-04-2015, 10:37 PM
A lot of the lit items in later cars are actually molded in green plastic. On those, it's not possible to change the color. The plastic IS green. I figured this out trying to do HVAC lighting a few years ago. I sanded right through the front.

And on the early parts that allow you to sand off the green, you'll be left with hot spots.