PDA

View Full Version : Door Bushings, GS or KA ?

Hyper
07-24-2015, 03:56 PM
How are these GarageStar different from the Japanese KenAuto version available in the classifieds?? http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread.php?12339

MightyM
07-24-2015, 07:07 PM
I was wondering the same thing but I'm guessing they are identical in function.

wannafbody
07-24-2015, 10:20 PM
They are shaped slightly differently. The GS one are a direct fit in the door cup.

MikeA
07-25-2015, 01:51 AM
Me too.

Phatmiata
07-25-2015, 11:32 AM
The KenAuto are a bit thicker, I have a set here, I will be ordering some GarageStar soon. (need to get my wheels first)

here is a photo I found online

PS: I am NOT linking that thread on the "other" forum since they have word blocked OUR forum :punchface:

http://i.imgur.com/ljzPFDd.jpg

bogaut
07-25-2015, 12:44 PM
The gs ones are adjustable, cheaper, and much better customer service

Nitori
07-28-2015, 05:50 PM
Phatmiata dragged me over from that forum which shall not be named. :P The side by side of the blocks is a shot I took, because I ended up getting a set of both to do a direct comparison.

The quick and dirty version is this- if you've got a set of the Kenauto ones, don't fret. Both brands work just as well, it's just that the Garagestar version takes it one step further and lets you adjust it for a more friendly daily driven experience. Kenauto blocks that are not well fitted (due to not being sanded or you having a slightly tweaked Miata) will have your passengers staring at you saying "the doors are locked, unlock the doors" when they just haven't pulled hard enough. Garagestar blocks require less than 5 minutes of adjustment but let you get in and out with relative ease. Not quite OEM, but still reasonably easy.

Bruce
07-28-2015, 06:18 PM
Reading this, it sounds like the thicker Kenauto blocks should provide a greater degree of chassis stiffening. How do they compare in this regard?

Could it be that the Kenauto blocks are better for track use and the GS blocks better for daily drivers?

Nitori
07-28-2015, 06:34 PM
Reading this, it sounds like the thicker Kenauto blocks should provide a greater degree of chassis stiffening. How do they compare in this regard?

Could it be that the Kenauto blocks are better for track use and the GS blocks better for daily drivers?

My butt dyno couldn't really tell a difference between the two, to be honest. Both feel remarkably better than stock.

It's entirely possible that the Kenauto blocks make for a stiffer fit than the GarageStar, because the Kenautos are designed to be an interference fit, while the GS blocks are on the order of a ~.10 to .15 mm tolerance, which is about 4.5x times tighter fit than the stock blocks and about on par with the width of a single hair.

So I'm afraid I don't have a definitive answer for you, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if what you said about KA being better for track and GS being better for DD was absolutely true. I simply can't put numbers (or even placebo) to substantiate it.

Phatmiata
07-28-2015, 08:38 PM
Welcome Nitori !! Thanks for the heads up!!

Check out our Coilover thread too. I know some guys are curious about the Maruha Coilovers you have. I am hoping to track mine soon but right now my Miata is mostly a street use car.

Bruce
07-28-2015, 11:22 PM
Thanks.

You are a fantastic addition here.

Welcome!!!

Pfunk
07-28-2015, 11:43 PM
I am NOT linking that thread on the "other" forum since they have word blocked OUR forum

That's happened to a few Miata forums I've joined... must be me? ;)

MrZip
07-29-2015, 02:38 PM
I am about to replace my tired old OEM blocks with the KA ones from phatmiata that just got delivered. Will let you know what I think!

MrZip
07-29-2015, 03:28 PM
Wow. These puppies are TIGHT! Pass door is nice and snug. After 5 or 6 tests and then torquing the KA block down, You can see where it rubs. I figure that after a short while, it will groove itself nicely.

Driver's side is almost too tight? The screws on the door cup are scraping the new block. I'm thinking that I may need to adjust the door hinge. Or do a bit of critical Dremel tool work. Or screw a pull handle on the outside so I can get it open :P ...

I'll let you know how it drives, later. I just put my Boss Frog Frame Rails on last week and now with the addition of the KA blocks, the body stiffness should be off the chart...

etikoner
07-29-2015, 11:00 PM
^ Leaves to install and comes back less than an hour later. What took you so long?! haha.