PDA

View Full Version : tien flex preload

Silvernb03
07-27-2015, 07:57 PM
Hi,
I just installed a set of Tien Flex coilover yesterday. That was my first time, so I adjusted the preload of one corner without knowing what it was. Is it safe to drive? Is there anyway I can adjust it back to the factory setting?
Thanks

friday
07-27-2015, 09:56 PM
I doubt it will make the car handle dangerously or anything, but setting the preload correctly on the tein flex is important so you are not riding on the bump stops. I have quite a few turns in mine.

Follow these instructions, it goes into the details of how to correctly adjust tein flexs for the best performance. It what I used to setup mine.

It is my feeling anyway, that any travel limited shock should have separate adjustment for preload and ride height so that they can be set up with a static ride height near the middle of the stroke. The only other way to do it would be to very precisely match spring length and stiffness to the car.

This is a key observation. Any length adjustable coilover with limited stroke will be very sensitive to correct preload and damper length adjustments.

In this old thread, several experienced Flex users outline the correct procedure for determining damper length and preload for each individual user. Every car and driver combination will be different.

"This was my procedure:

1) Set body length so that at full bumpstop compression the tire almost rubs. This helps get you lowest possible ride height. With larger tires you need longer shock bodies.

2) You then adjust the perch ("pre-load") for the minimum bump travel you need for your roads. With 5kg spring and bumpy roads and tein 40mm bumpstops you need about 1" of bump travel at the shaft before touching the bumpstops.

The above will give you the lowest possible ride height. Any shorter on the shock body and the tire will rub. Any lower on the perch and you have insufficient bump travel. With my 5 kg rear spring I'm at about 12.75" with 195 tires, and 13" with 205 tires, and about 1.5" droop travel.

Silvernb03
07-28-2015, 06:55 AM
What link?

tsingson
07-28-2015, 07:31 AM
Click on the word link.

Silvernb03
07-28-2015, 08:52 AM
Lol I used my phone, so I did not catch that. Thanks

Phatmiata
07-28-2015, 09:12 AM
fixed :bow: