PDA

View Full Version : Mazdaspeed ND in the works?

Agent☣Orange
08-08-2015, 05:04 PM
Source: http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/research/we-hear-turbocharged-fourth-gen-mazda-mx-5-miata-possible/ar-BBlsURy

There hasn’t been a turbocharged Mazda MX-5 Miata since the second-generation Mazdaspeed version, but that could change with the new fourth-generation model, motoring.com.au reports.

Recent comments from Mazda execs, however, appear to conflict with each other.For starters, Nobuhiro Yamamoto, program manager for the new car, said during the Goodwood Festival of Speed last month there wouldn’t be a turbocharged version of the ND Miata. Meanwhile, Kudo Hidetoshi, Mazda’s global PR boss, said during a Spanish MX-5 press event that, “A turbocharged or MPS variant is one of the options we will definitely consider.”

During the Australian media launch of the Miata with the 1.5-liter engine this week, Yamamoto indicated that his earlier comments were in regards to the launch phase of the new model.

“It’s not a conflict [between statements by me and Hidetoshi],” Yamamoto told motoring.com.au through an interpreter. “Since the lifespan was mentioned at 10 years it is kind of long years, so thinking what Kudo-san said was just a possibility of having such a variant given the long lifespan.”

“It depends on how broad the scope is, what kind of timespan we are talking about. Depending on that I think there are many things you could think of,” he continued. “Kudo san talked about this in terms of a 10-year lifespan, but when I was asked the question right after the launching of the ND, I said ‘we have no plan to have a turbo at that point in time’. That is what I meant.”

When the Australian news outlet asked if a high-performance model could be built without resorting to a turbocharger, Yamamoto replied, “If you could achieve what we want, to which is great response, very light and powerful with great performance feel with natural aspiration, then we don’t need a turbo.

“But if we want more power because we don’t get satisfied with natural aspiration then we may think about the turbo.”

Where the new Miata will be available with either 1.5-iiter or 2.0-liter four-cylinder engines in most global markets, only the 2.0-liter engine will be offered in the U.S. Still Yamamoto still prefers naturally aspirated engines to forced induction: “Once you put a turbo the car gets heavier, you have to add an intercooler and the reliability of the engine [becomes a potential issue as well]. If you think about all those elements you may think a turbo is not a good idea.”

The only factory turbocharged Miata available in the U.S. was the second-generation Mazdaspeed MX-5 Miata, which featured a turbocharged 1.8-liter I-6 making 178 hp and 166 lb-ft of torque. That model reached 60 mph in 6.2 seconds and finished the quarter-mile in 14.6 seconds at 93.8 mph. For comparison, the 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata with a naturally aspirated 2.0-liter Skyactiv four-cylinder reached 60 mph in 5.8 seconds and finished the quarter-mile in 14.5 seconds at 94.2 mph.

fwdtamiya
08-08-2015, 06:08 PM
featured a turbocharged 1.8-liter I-6 making 178 hp and 166 lb-ft of torque.
Sure it did.

Well, interesting statements being made and retracted. :lol: Pretty sure everyone is disappointed by the lack of suspension on the club right now. Haven't heard any journos complain about lack of power, but I will! We always need more power.

kung fu jesus
08-08-2015, 10:02 PM
A couple thoughts...

The Mazdaspeed Miata as we got it was a turd. Too many half baked components and issues that didn't really exude the sort of performance we hoped.

Keep in mind that by the time the MSM rolled out, the BP was pretty old. Some conversations I have heard is Mazda, especially Mazdaspeed, is focused on chassis and engine (Skyactiv) tuning.

Some stuff I have read is more power is being realized in tuning. The ND's engine is running a conservative tune. It has to. Just from tune, I have read 10 additional ponies. One has claimed 25bhp tuned on e85. It seems high, but considering the Skyactiv's compression and other features, it may be feasible.

I think it (Skyactiv) has a lot of potential and I remember some similar disappointment when the Honda K series motors rolled out.

Look at the torque curve versus the previous generations, for instance. I think it can offer some distinct flexibility because it doesn't need to be wrung out to extract usable power. That is an understated achievement versus older models. I think, too, Mazda will be leveraging more aftermarket relationships to develop performance. I think this may lead to rapid developments. I guess the best way to state all the above is to wait and see. :)

Agent☣Orange
08-08-2015, 10:16 PM
We could debate the SkyActiv minutiae but IMO, Mazda should at least offer a 2.5L, NA 250HP motor.

kung fu jesus
08-08-2015, 11:35 PM
It is a matter of perspective. Look at the numbers. 142bhp, usable torque. A mild increase would still impressive. The car doesn't need 250hp.

fwdtamiya
08-09-2015, 12:16 AM
I remember some similar disappointment when the Honda K series motors rolled out.
You must not have been in the Honda scene, Steve. Since day one that motor has seen nothing but love? People were swapping it into older chassis as soon as possible and praising how easy it was to make power. The (base) engine debuted basically at the same time as the K20A (Type-R) engine did, so people were buying internals new from Honda japan and slapping them into american motors. Oh, if only Mazda cared about power.

kung fu jesus
08-09-2015, 10:20 AM
I was and owned one. What I remember was people raising questions about the K engines being larger but not making much power, if any, over the B engines. K20a aside, people began to realize the power delivery of the Ks was more usable than the peaky Bs. They also realized the Frankensteins, swapping engine components, heads, blocks, etc. around for power and performance. Then the K-pro came and blew the roof off.

This is similar to what I think may happen with the Skyactiv engines. we just have t wait and see. :)

mx54life
08-09-2015, 11:07 AM
We could debate the SkyActiv minutiae but IMO, Mazda should at least offer a 2.5L, NA 250HP motor.

Yes. Even the Mazdaspeed 3 engine spec would be awesome for a ND weight.

But I it is all about economics. There is no competition that would drive sales on a powerful small roadster without driving the price beyond affordability. Audi tried and fail in terms of sales. Currently the only contender in the similar plafform are the FRS/BRZ both are not powerful either. As far as bantam roadster Miata dominates so no need for power at the moment. What needs to happen is forbHonda to step in with a new roadster. Scion/Subaru makes a convertible FRS/BRZ, Fiat releases the new abarth roadster and finally people start a convertible movement then you will see the ultimate miata. Basically Mazda is ready to be challenge.

kung fu jesus
08-09-2015, 11:12 AM
From another forum:

"What are REALISTIC gains with a tune, from what has been seen so far?
Realistic gains for the 2.0L (which dynos about 140whp stock) will put down just shy over 160whp with a tune. One thing we have seen is that the 2.0L doesn't make huge jumps in power from more ignition. You can stretch the timing out quite a bit with zero gain.
However...The 2.5L sky... We can't wait to see if they are swappable into the ND, because 90 octane and a slight bump in timing, bone stock you're looking at nearly 40ftlbs increase and 26+whp. With a bit of ethanol in the tank you might be seeing 200/200"

JBsC6
08-15-2015, 06:12 PM
I sure hope so. I drove the ND today and in person it's a beautiful sports car. Very well put together inside and out. Rode beautifully. I test drove the automatic and while nice. It needs more hp and tq and could use a DCT at the same time.

I'd be hard pressed to order the automatic nd.

The manual I'm sure is quick although I'd rather drop an additional 5 grand and get a 200 hp turbo.

Jmo