PDA

View Full Version : How do you protect your Miata?

mx54life
08-30-2015, 10:12 PM
Reason I ask is that if she gets stolen I will be depressed and devastated. Her value is now more that what she got in terms of aftermarket add-ons.

So tell me what would be a good combo of security parts....alarm....fuel cutoff....

Rogue
08-30-2015, 11:55 PM
Ruger P90 aftermarket alarm…….if it goes off, you'll know it!

mx54life
08-31-2015, 12:06 AM
Lol I do have a Glock 19 aftermarket alarm but is limited for home security only and she is already in the garage.

Willywongka
08-31-2015, 06:38 AM
I'd suggest a quick release (removable steering wheel) with lock, a clutch lock, a alarm, hardtop brackets and i've been thinking about installing a small camera that can record.

tsingson
08-31-2015, 07:28 AM
Live somewhere other than California. It's been working well for a while now. :teehee:

HarryB
08-31-2015, 07:52 AM
For longer non-driving periods, you can install a small switch to cut the IGN line somewhere away from sight.

mx54life
08-31-2015, 08:03 AM
I'd suggest a quick release (removable steering wheel) with lock, a clutch lock, a alarm, hardtop brackets and i've been thinking about installing a small camera that can record.

Brilliant......a dash cam of sorts. Hopefully there is one that is self powered and would last at least 15 hours.

mx54life
08-31-2015, 08:05 AM
Live somewhere other than California. It's been working well for a while now. :teehee:

I wish with my line of work I won't be able to afford a play if I move out.

For longer non-driving periods, you can install a small switch to cut the IGN line somewhere away from sight.

I have been looking on the difficulty level of doin' this.

Phatmiata
08-31-2015, 08:20 AM
dogs work well too, especially as a pre-warning, warning system.

At my house when my dogs hear a twig snap or a leaf get stepped on they are running to inspect/destroy. So far mine have stopped dead 5 snakes, 6 squirrels, 2 opossums, 3 birds, 1 turtle, several large rats, 20+ skinks and frogs. And as a deterrant they have chased off several stray cats, 2 raccoons, 1 fox, some feral pigs, stray dogs, noisy neighbors, lawn guys, tree guys, solicitors, and one guy that was dumb enough to hop over my fence (pretty sure they bit him though, he was running from the cops) my next door neighbor said he has NEVER seen anyone fly over a 6 foot fence that fast after seeing my dogs come after him, hhahahha

Phatmiata
08-31-2015, 09:12 AM
and now you can order GarageStar parts for your dogs too !!!

http://garagestar.com/blog/?product=garage-star-omega-series-dog-collar

Hey Kenjo, will these fit any size dog? I have some pretty large Boxers that always manage to take their collars off.

Travyss
08-31-2015, 09:32 AM
Does everyone use just the hardtop brackets in Cali? I'm in a low crime area, but use toplocs. I never understood using just the brackets. All one would need to do is carry some tools to easily take off a top with just the brackets, even if they are "security bolts"

Gvineprotoge
08-31-2015, 09:34 AM
Personally I have the following:

-Quick release steering wheel.
-S2000 push button start
-ignition switch hidden in plain sight (required to engage the ignition system)

I also have my hard top bolted in. Mainly just to prevent the hard top's theft.

Lastly, I have the car parked in my car port, with a cover over it, and it isn't visible from the street.

mx54life
08-31-2015, 10:07 AM
Does everyone use just the hardtop brackets in Cali? I'm in a low crime area, but use toplocs. I never understood using just the brackets. All one would need to do is carry some tools to easily take off a top with just the brackets, even if they are "security bolts"

Obviously not everyone I am still in search of one that will suit my routine. I have heard one HT was stolen despite the brackets. The thieves as reported pushed the car down the street and unbolted the top. I like the idea of the Toplocs but they are hard to find. I may look into the Beatrush one. I like to have a quick way of taking of my top.

HarryB
08-31-2015, 10:11 AM
I have been looking on the difficulty level of doin' this.

Should not be that hard. Have done this in a friends' EP71 Starlet, should be pretty much the same for every car. Go to Adams' website, and find the guide for the S2000 start button install, to see which cable is which (a factory manual would also do). Then it is a matter of adding a simple SPST switch inline with the IGN switch.

Travyss
08-31-2015, 10:25 AM
Obviously not everyone I am still in search of one that will suit my routine. I have heard one HT was stolen despite the brackets. The thieves as reported pushed the car down the street and unbolted the top. I like the idea of the Toplocs but they are hard to find. I may look into the Beatrush one. I like to have a quick way of taking of my top.
It's my understanding that they are still making them? http://www.thetoploc.com/
They were MIA for sometime and then started producing again. The new ones are pretty slick looking. My co-worker has them on his NB

Greasemonkey2000
08-31-2015, 10:43 AM

This for starters. :fp:

Warbird currently has some aftermarket alarm with shock sensor and light(?) sensor (door light or running/headlights are turned on and the alarm sounds) and a quick release which i almost always remove when parked, even when its in the garage.

Lojack i think is a great option but unsure of cost.

mx54life
08-31-2015, 12:02 PM
For sure an alarm unit is what I am going to get first. The only thing that slows me down is if I will install it myself. Still gauging the level of difficulty. I do my own mechanical stuff but electrical seems to give some anxiety lol. I have been researching this for quite some time now. Since my love for her has been renewed with a set of Teins next in line is an alarm system.

marathonboats
01-30-2016, 08:08 PM
I like about The only thing that slows me down is if I will install it myself.