PDA

View Full Version : where do I find sealant tape for inside miata doors?

ezmfne
08-31-2015, 03:25 PM
I'm looking for the black sticky stuff that holds the plastic on the door when you remove the door panel.
Please help my local auto stores want to sell me epoxy.

Phatmiata
08-31-2015, 03:29 PM
its called Butyl Rubber Sealant Tape, its double-sided adhesive waterproof tape

I can mail you some, I used 1/8" x 1/2" on my doors

HarryB
08-31-2015, 03:36 PM
You could get away with "sealant tape", it's what is used to vacuum bag composite parts. Fairly cheap as well.

Travyss
08-31-2015, 04:40 PM
This is a fantastic question. Mine is literally everywhere and would one day like to redo the goop and the plastic

ezmfne
08-31-2015, 05:28 PM
its called Butyl rubber Tape, its double-sided

I can mail you some, I used 1/8" x 1/2" on my doors
What's a roll cost?

Phatmiata
08-31-2015, 08:36 PM
What's a roll cost?

Pretty cheap, I'll check when I get in the office tomorrow. I upgraded my doors on the 96 miata to power windows, and I bought some thicker mil visqueen plastic sheeting and cut them to the same size. Just put the tape in place on the door, peel the second sticky side and lay your new visqueen sheeting up to it and press it into place. It grabs right away.

Phatmiata
08-31-2015, 08:39 PM
This is a fantastic question. Mine is literally everywhere and would one day like to redo the goop and the plastic

Very easy to do, you can use goo-gone or wd-40 to remove the old butyl tape, trace out your old plastic sheets and buy some new visqueen plastic sheeting from the home stores new waterproofed doors are that easy.

Martin
08-31-2015, 08:52 PM
I read about using duct tape to remove the goo. Stick the tape to the goo then pull it off quickly. I haven't tried this, so no guarantee it'll work.

lablu
08-31-2015, 09:56 PM
I have used Goop hand cleaner to clean up old butyl tape residue several times, if it has sat in the garage for a while and been subjected to summer temps it normally liquefies and works better. My local Napa carries rolls of butyl tape.

Phatmiata
09-01-2015, 08:50 AM
What we sell is Tremco 440 Architectural butyl tape, its a lot higher quality than the junk at auto stores (what they sell is solvent based rubber mastic tape ). We sell ours to window glaziers and window manufactures that use them in high rise buildings, and metal buildings around window frames when they lay in glass, ours is solvent free and wont dry out or crack, and has to meet strict commercial ASTM ratings for high adhesion, waterproofing, and load.

Its probably overkill for this application, but I have access to the best materials, so that is what I used on my Miata :slayer:

https://conspecmaterials.com/shop/tools-accessories/tremco-440-butyl-tape/

HarryB
09-01-2015, 09:05 AM
That's the way to go, always use the best materials available, will save a ton of issues down the road (and will keep your peace of mind).

wannafbody
09-02-2015, 08:56 PM
WD 40 gets the old stuff off but it's a pain in the arse.