PDA

View Full Version : Lotus Elise Seat Questions

Paul B
09-18-2015, 02:10 AM
So recently I picked up a set of Lotus Elise seats from a local friend who helped me out in a huge way. The seats are mounted in the car via revlimiter style brackets on OEM seat rails.

The seats are installed and they are incredible. Everything I had dreamed of and more. I have wanted these seats since I first saw them installed in a Miata. However I am running into a few small issues that I was wondering if anyone on here has had and has solved. The seats will be pulled this winter in an attempt to and try to resolve some of the following issues (and maybe add some padding) lol.

First: Best way to move or relocate the seatbelt guide? Basically my seatbelt and seatbelt guide is behind the left shoulder wing of the seat . Installed in the car is a HDHCHTDD roll bar. The seat belt guide that is mounted to the tab on the rollbar prevents the seat from going back to the final few notches on the OEM rails and the seat also rubs on the guide a little in the position I have it now. Being a little over 6', those few notches would be really nice to get the extra leg room to stretch lol . the seatbelt retracts as usual (which is usually with some help from me due to rollbar)

Would Carbon Miata seat belt extenders do the trick? Are there any other brands out there that make something like this?
Could I move the seatbelt guide upwards with some washers maybe?

Second: Best ideas for re-finishing the back of the seat. During install, transport and general movement of the seats, the back of them have some minor scratches. Has anyone painted the back of an elise seat? Could I just mask and cover them and rattle can the backs of them with some black spray?

Third: What is a good source for getting nice looking hardware for the seats? The hex head bolts work but are there allen head/button head dress up bolts available? Are there issues with strength in dress up hardware? I have the correct sizes and thread measurements and I know the current bolts are strong. Previous owner knew what he was doing, I just want it to look prettier, If possible and if not sacrificing strength.

I can provide pictures tomorrow if that would help. I know threads are worthless without pics. Hopefully this thread is coherent; running on barely any sleep!

Thanks!
Paul B

HarryB
09-18-2015, 02:33 AM
I test-fitted mine last week and (although I do not have a rollbar yet) I think I might be able to help a bit. I am unsure on how the seatbelt mount and guide are set up, so some photos would massively help. Regarding touching up the rear, sure you can rattle can them. These are basically plastic (fiber reinforced polymer), so you can do it as you would do with anything plastic, should be a fairly easy task. I believe there were some discussions in a Lotus forum, will check if I can find the link. I am also pretty sure that I have seen a set re-done in white (for some strange reason).

Regarding hardware, all bolts are just metric bolts, so you can find replacements in any hardware store that stocks metric. Pay attention to the grade, I would use only 8.8 or higher, and I would advise 12.9 grade (not sure how easy is to get some there). Hope it helps!

Paul B
09-18-2015, 02:47 AM
I test-fitted mine last week and (although I do not have a rollbar yet) I think I might be able to help a bit. I am unsure on how the seatbelt mount and guide are set up, so some photos would massively help. Regarding touching up the rear, sure you can rattle can them. These are basically plastic (fiber reinforced polymer), so you can do it as you would do with anything plastic, should be a fairly easy task. I believe there were some discussions in a Lotus forum, will check if I can find the link. I am also pretty sure that I have seen a set re-done in white (for some strange reason).

Regarding hardware, all bolts are just metric bolts, so you can find replacements in any hardware store that stocks metric. Pay attention to the grade, I would use only 8.8 or higher, and I would advise 12.9 grade (not sure how easy is to get some there). Hope it helps!

I figured refinishing the back of them would be that easy. Ill take a trip through the hardware store one day and look for some nice bolts.

Once morning hits Ill get the HT off and post some photos of my problem

Thank you!!!!

tsingson
09-18-2015, 07:11 AM
Pictures would definitely help.

I have Lotus seats in my NB but I don't have mine all the way back. I am just under 6'.

Paul B
09-18-2015, 09:17 AM

Here's an awesome shot from a potato . I'll post more later when hardtop is off.

tsingson
09-18-2015, 09:25 AM
I don't think the seatbelt extenders will solve the issue.

revlimiter
09-18-2015, 11:14 AM
You might look into the Bossfrog seatbelt things. They actually change out that piece that's touching your seat and relocate it a bit more outboard.

And for the back of the seat - magic eraser.

revlimiter
09-18-2015, 11:17 AM
http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Performance-Part/30-1036g.html

Comparing the Goodwin pic and yours... not sure if it would help much. My driver's seat is apparently shifted more centrally compared to yours. It doesn't have any interference.

Paul B
09-18-2015, 01:04 PM
Hmmm ok. Gonna have to figure this out somehow.

I'll try the magic eraser.

Thank you!!

HarryB
09-18-2015, 01:56 PM
Totally unrelated but mine is also more centrally located... Is your belt bolted on the OEM "strut" or on the rollbar? If it is on the OEM you could possibly add a spacer underneath, while of course replacing the bolt with a longer one. Spacer should be tight in there and not too long, since you are increasing the bending moment on the bolt significantly. Another solution would be to have a pair of 0,2" sheetmetal welded on your rollbar on the desired height, so you could install it mounted in double shear.

HarryB
09-18-2015, 02:01 PM

Sth like this, one on top, one on bottom with the belt part sandwiched in between.

RustRat
09-18-2015, 02:39 PM
My rollbar had pre-welded tabs, where you could bolt the (provided) extenders, and even though I have the stock seats, the seatbelt is almost next to my left shoulder.

I'll try get a picture, if it helps.

Paul B
09-19-2015, 04:26 PM

Sth like this, one on top, one on bottom with the belt part sandwiched in between.

Did you put spacers under the belt on that tab? Im thinking that's what I will have to do.

My roll bar has a welded tab that has my belt bolted to it.

Paul B
09-20-2015, 01:09 AM
@revlimiter where did you source those grommets for the shoulder harnesses?

I've got a set of Willans 4 point harnesses that I could use instead of the stock belts. Roll bar has a harness bar built in.

HarryB
09-20-2015, 09:27 AM
Sector 111 (http://www.sector111.com/parts/track/interior/elise_seat_grommets.cfm) does some. Not quite sure I would drive around with 4 point harnesses in a DD though.

Paul B
09-20-2015, 03:28 PM
Sector 111 (http://www.sector111.com/parts/track/interior/elise_seat_grommets.cfm) does some. Not quite sure I would drive around with 4 point harnesses in a DD though.

Thanks for that link. Ill check those out as an option.

Still trying to figure out a way to use stock seatbelt. May even try to move the guide with spacers/washers. Or see if the Carbon Miata extenders would work in the bolt location behind the roll bar that mounts the bar to the car.

Car isn't exactly my daily driver. I drive it once or twice a week to work and back, if that. And when I am able to run a few errands if my son is at my parents'. And its only on the road 6 months out of the year.

What is the concern with 4 point harness? I used them in my previous Miata. And that car was my daily driver.

HarryB
09-20-2015, 04:15 PM
Nothing safety related really, just a matter of personal preference. I find it a bit of a struggle to get them on/tighten them properly/drive/take them off/make them loose so that you can fit when you get back in/repeat, plus it is kind of a struggle trying to reach the radio/glovebox/anything. At least I would have to unbuckle every time. :)

Paul B
09-20-2015, 04:58 PM
Nothing safety related really, just a matter of personal preference. I find it a bit of a struggle to get them on/tighten them properly/drive/take them off/make them loose so that you can fit when you get back in/repeat, plus it is kind of a struggle trying to reach the radio/glovebox/anything. At least I would have to unbuckle every time. :)

I know for safety I always felt safer with the Willans on than I do the 25 yr old worn, faded belts. It does present a challenge sometimes to get buckled / unbuckled and reach the glovebox but I can reach radio just fine. Long arms help :) lol