PDA

View Full Version : No horn with Nardi wheel and Daikei hub

Flyin 92
10-10-2015, 02:07 PM
Hey, guys. I need a little help with getting my Nardi horn button to work. I installed the steering wheel (Nardi Classico) forever ago, but could never get the horn to work. I finally decided to do something about it today.

The wire coming from the hub activates the horn when it touches the hub itself. Which lead me to believe it has to be horn button.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/741/22075758625_e1fbf706f4_c.jpg

I've connected it to both terminals on the back of the horn button with no luck. I tried swapping out adapter rings just to make sure I installed the correct one. No luck.

I decided to take the horn button apart to see if I was missing anything. (I included the adapter ring I originally used).

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5674/21887555960_89bf45ffcc_c.jpg

I've read countless threads to make sure I didn't miss a step. I read Revlimiter's blog on installing a wheel because his write-ups are top notch. No matter what I try it doesn't work. I am at a loss.

If you guys have any ideas please share.

Phatmiata
10-10-2015, 03:12 PM
have you tried "other" horn buttons to see if your horn is even working? Maybe its not the button at all, not sure how those would fail anyhow

Willywongka
10-10-2015, 03:49 PM
I may be able to help.

I was running a Daikei hub / MS wheel combo.

You notice that your horn button has two male connectors right? Well, I think that is where your problem lies.

So you need to add another female wire.

First off, go to the hardware store and get yourself a female wire and splice off the end.

Second, slide off the plastic sleeve from the hub.

Third, loop the loose wire through one of the unused bolt holes and slide stick the female end through the one of the holes at the bottom of the hub so that its in the same position as your other female connector.

Fourth, slide that plastic sleeve back one so that it'll hold the spliced wire in place.

Now connect the two wires to the horn button.

Hope this helps.

-Will

Flyin 92
10-10-2015, 04:11 PM
I was under the impression the horn button grounds itself through the hub. At least that's what I've gathered after much reading.

Demon I Am
10-11-2015, 02:22 PM
No. I had this issue as well. I made a jumper wire with 2 female ends on it. One end to the horn, the other on the the tab for the horn ring. Worked like a charm

Flyin 92
10-12-2015, 03:56 PM
The ring with the tab is for a MOMO.

revlimiter
10-12-2015, 05:29 PM
Yup. That metal Nardi button doesn't use a horn retainer ring. The plastic Nardi buttons have a ring, but not the metal Classico one.

Sometimes horns just don't like to ground through the steering column. I say throw in the towel and wire up a dedicated ground for the button.

revlimiter
10-12-2015, 05:30 PM
ps - the center connector/tab/terminal is always the horn signal button. The off-center terminal is always the ground.

Flyin 92
10-13-2015, 01:53 PM
Yup. That metal Nardi button doesn't use a horn retainer ring. The plastic Nardi buttons have a ring, but not the metal Classico one.

Sometimes horns just don't like to ground through the steering column. I say throw in the towel and wire up a dedicated ground for the button.

I discovered the horn doesn't need the ring today, which is nice.

ps - the center connector/tab/terminal is always the horn signal button. The off-center terminal is always the ground.

That's what I figured, but I thought I'd give it shot just in case.

Slightly, kinda-sorta off topic:

Do I need the clock spring? I have a Nardi hub I've been itching to install, but it's for a non-airbag car. Since I've removed most of the airbag components (save for engine bay connections) I was contemplating removing it. I know it also serves as a connection for the horn, but non-airbag cars still have functioning horns, which is why I'm thinking it's no longer 100% necessary.

I really don't care about the turn signal stalks returning to neutral either because I usually do that manually. They rarely return to neutral with the help of the clock spring anyway.

Flyin 92
11-03-2015, 02:03 PM
Do I need the clock spring? I have a Nardi hub I've been itching to install, but it's for a non-airbag car. Since I've removed most of the airbag components (save for engine bay connections) I was contemplating removing it. I know it also serves as a connection for the horn, but non-airbag cars still have functioning horns, which is why I'm thinking it's no longer 100% necessary.

I really don't care about the turn signal stalks returning to neutral either because I usually do that manually. They rarely return to neutral with the help of the clock spring anyway.

Anyone have any input on this? I haven't much useful information on the interwebzz.