PDA

View Full Version : Honest Opinions Requested

Demon I Am
10-16-2015, 12:18 PM
The question: Keep the tan interior and stay classy, or swap the interiors and go race-y? two completely different looks, both of them fantastic in their own ways.

So, as I've already posted, I'm parting out my 2000. Here is a link with some pics. http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread.php?11259-Demon-does-NB . The interior on this car came from a 2002. The dash is mostly flawless 9:10, the carpet is maybe a 7:10, the seats are good condition MSM red/black cloth ones 8:10, The center console is OK, with the usual light scratching 7:10. The kick panels are average for the age. The rear carpet and panels have been cut to fit the side striker plates and rollbar. The top is a decent vinyl with zip-out window, though it is almost too tight to close on some days.

The current car is this one: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread.php?12895-Madison-Demon-s-other-other-white-Miata . Most of the interior qualifies in the 9 category. There are a few small stains on the rear parcel tray. The driver seat has the expected wear and tear from a 2004. The Robbins canvas top is truly amazing, I don't want another car without one. The stock style leather seats are not as comfortable as the cloth MSMs. Pretty sure the biscuit Lotus seats would match well, or I could foamectomy the seats.

So tomorrow morning the black interior is coming out of the 2000. I already have buyers lined up for the interior and the top. Do I cancel on them and install the black into the 2004?
The current look is classy, and grown-up... the other would be fast and powerful. The current look is somewhat unique. Am I delusional for liking this combo? Everyone else seems to have the black in white combo. Is there a reason that everyone ditches the tan? This has been tearing at me since I got the car... I need to decide by tomorrow, so give me your honest opinions opinions.

My heart says keep the tan, my penis says make it black and red.

Greasemonkey2000
10-16-2015, 12:22 PM
A black and red or custom red interior would look awesome! But the tan and white looks good...more mature and subtle. I have honestly considered going to a black interior multiple times especially considering the tan na6 dash is harder to come by. :fp:

Demon I Am
10-16-2015, 12:24 PM
Yeah, If only they had made a LE tinted interior for the NB. I'd be all over it. Sure the carpet would fit, but I don't like the NA dash in the NB; the styles contrast too much. And painting interior plastics rarely works well for very long.

John J
10-16-2015, 12:25 PM
You must make the call. The car will be a reflection of who you are and what you want the car to be. It is a tough decision and its yours.

Demon I Am
10-16-2015, 12:28 PM
Yeah I definitely get that. It's just nice to see what other people would do, given the same situation.

The other factor to consider is that even good quality tan interiors are much harder to resale than the black stuff. The black interior would be sold as soon as I pulled it. The tan interior would probably be around for a while.

Martin
10-16-2015, 12:31 PM
If it were me I'd keep the tan. I swapped my red 96 from tan to black and regretted it later.

Dandy
10-16-2015, 01:03 PM
Voted tan to stay classy.
http://pixel.brit.co/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/20-Wine.jpg

mx54life
10-16-2015, 01:06 PM
It's all about flow so you can achieve balance and harmony. You pick your fight. Interior or exterior you should be able to bring both together. A white body with tan interior will flow well with gold (classy) or bronze (sporty) rims. NB has more curve lines to disrupt so keeping an honest retro look will be a challenge. The simplier the add ons the better, like the 95-M seats will feel at home in the NB. The JDM NA Nardi steering wheel compliments the tan color. Satin metal pieces will give the tan and white color combo the expensive finish. Lastly the "stance" will give that look-at-me call. Follow your heart at least it has a longer duration than our penis lol. Just my 2 cents.

RustRat
10-16-2015, 01:47 PM
My vote goes to tan. It matches well with the car, it's classy yet modern, and it suits the white and gold (if you keep the wheels) theme very well.

revlimiter
10-16-2015, 02:50 PM
The only opinion I ever have is an honest one. :) It drives my wife crazy.

My favorite color combo is white paint and a red interior. BUT, that would require you to source a full 93LE interior. I'm not into the red accent thing. It looks okay, but it's not a show stopper drool inducing thing like a full red interior.

Your tan interior is gorgeous. Add a few chrome accents and it will pop like crazy. Resist the urge to add black accents or to add too many shiny things.

I vote tan.

HarryB
10-16-2015, 02:54 PM
Voted tan as well. My favourite NB2 interior is that delicious brown/chocolate one of the Phoenix, but tan comes as a second close. Carpet needs attention not to get messy, and I do not like silver against tan (IMHO black looks way better), but the rest looks class! You know what suits it perfectly? A wooden Nardi, wooden shifter and handbrake knobs...oh and the feeling of a wooden wheel rim is just amazing!

Pfunk
10-20-2015, 10:00 PM
Tan is somewhat less common than black, easier on the ass in summer, too. That said, I think either should just be an inflection point on your way to a full custom interior.

Slipstreem
10-21-2015, 12:28 AM
If it was me I would go with pure black. Interior to me should represent your type of clothing style. I'll use myself as an example since I don't know what kind of style you like. Of course this is just my opinion.

Black interior says business casual. A nice button up, some jeans, and some DC shoes. Or it can say weekend fun with just a plain T-shirt with some print on it.

Tan interior gives off a fancy "I'm the boss" vibe. Very suit, slacks, and tie like. Not saying that's a bad thing. Just seems like it has an upkeep to hold.

That's just how I feel but, I'm sure at the end of the day whatever you choose to do. Black, tan, or neon hot pink it'll end up looking very good.

Phatmiata
10-21-2015, 09:12 AM
I am voting for Tan, I would love to rock a tan interior Miata, but I need to buy another NA for that.

I VOTED TAN :bow:

tsingson
10-21-2015, 09:14 AM
He has to stick with tan now. The black interior sold right after we pulled it from the car.

Demon I Am
10-21-2015, 09:15 AM
Yes, and thanks for all the insight everyone!

Cxmoney
10-21-2015, 09:31 AM
I'll sell you my full red interior so you can have white and red.... :winky:

atank
10-21-2015, 01:41 PM
Buy the RED.........Demon!

Demon I Am
10-21-2015, 02:15 PM
A wonderful idea, but not a fan of NA interiors in NBs, though.

tsingson
10-21-2015, 02:21 PM
The 10AE interior would be kick ass in this.

Demon I Am
10-21-2015, 02:41 PM
Stop putting ideas in my head :P

But damn, could you imagine a top in this shade with that black/red interior?

https://www.convertibletopguys.com/common/images/sets/61.jpg

UNF

tsingson
10-21-2015, 02:57 PM
Gotta pass on that red top. Maybe a darker shade but that red is bright as hell.

Demon I Am
10-21-2015, 03:11 PM
Would have been bad binnus on the black car, Imho

kung fu jesus
10-21-2015, 04:08 PM
I don't like tan interiors, especially leather, for a couple of reasons.

The tanning process sometimes creates an inferior result in terms of longevity. Tan also captures and shows dift and oil from use, which is harder to remover and often permanent.

Tan and white is bad combination, aesthetically, to me. Two light colors lacking saturation that just seem unimaginative and bland. I don't think it is a good look.

I think white with red interiors is especially sporty in cars like these.

I also believe in custom one-offs. Instead of trying to fit red pieces from an older car (carpets) into a newer one, I believe a 3-color palette would be modern, sporty, and unique. Because black interiors are more common, I envision a black main interior with red inlays (take the MS seats you have for instance) and metallic accents.

Because you have an NB2, the inserts on the doors can be changed to red rather easily. Watch to the red accents in the seats, maybe add a red shift gaiter or black with red contrast stitching. Metallic accents can be added were controls are, like vents, door latches, shifter, center stack panels, etc. I think it may be cheaper to do this than all-red, and still look like a qulaity, OE-type upgrade to distinguish the car. Maybe look at the later white/red/black combination of the AP2 S2000 for inspriration. I also think the black/red interior gives you more options for wheel colors and styles.

A nakamae-type center console (if desired) could add a red overlay along the transmission tunnel to define the cockpit separation and tie in the other red overlays.

Just my $.02