PDA

View Full Version : Am I going to need a CARB approved cat?

swaggatronic
10-27-2015, 07:43 PM
So i'm starting to get some parts together for my 97 miata and one of the main things I need is a new catalytic converter, as the previous owner cut the old one out and welded a pipe in its place. I live in New York and I am finding a lot of mixed information regarding whether the vehicle is under Federal emissions or California emissions and NY adopting the CARB standards for specific years and I am wondering if I should spend the money on a CARB approved cat or save on a generic cat. I believe that is everything but if someone needs more information I'll try my best to reply quickly. Thanks!

kung fu jesus
10-28-2015, 08:32 AM
I would check on the NY regs further, but if you don't live in CA, you don't need a CARB certified cat. Many people move to CA every year who pass smog without a certified cat, but if you need to replace it while living there, you can only buy a CARB cat. Even mail order/online will not sell a non-CARB cat to CA customers in the affected counties/ZIP codes.

mx54life
10-28-2015, 09:33 AM
I would check on the NY regs further, but if you don't live in CA, you don't need a CARB certified cat. Many people move to CA every year who pass smog without a certified cat, but if you need to replace it while living there, you can only buy a CARB cat. Even mail order/online will not sell a non-CARB cat to CA customers in the affected counties/ZIP codes.

Not if you are assigned to go to "Start Certified" stations only then you can't get away with a non-carb cat. The guys that runs these stations are strict. I think as your car ages the closer you are to the "stars" lol. BTW this is only in Cali. Altho' there are counties nearby that don't smog their cars like Amador county which is very weird.