PDA

View Full Version : New ARP Headbolt torque recommendation is now 65 ft lbs.

mx54life
11-03-2015, 07:23 AM
I have read thru different threads about this and many says that the ARP headbolt recommended torque is way too much. Some have indeed used the recommended number. Can someone update us late comers on what is the real truth about 80 being too much for the miata head? Has there been an actual cylinder head or gasket damage due to this torque spec? Would it be because of their bolt design that they claim this high range? At any rate I would love to hear how this ARP bolts held on to specs below their recommendation. Thanks.

mx54life
11-03-2015, 02:34 PM
ARP responded to my question today about their headbolt torque spec, and FYI technical support said that the new revised recommendation is now 65 ft lbs (in three equal steps).

kung fu jesus
11-03-2015, 05:25 PM
Sorry I missed this. Some do 60, others 65. Stick with what they say. The specs have been incorrect for a long time, 80 is way too much. Use the lube that comes with them too.

Thanks for reporting what the manufacturer said!

NCGreasemonkey
11-18-2015, 09:45 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm planning on going back with their head studs when I refresh 'Noir's' powerhouse. If the specs change or anything happens to warrant a reconsideration please let me know.