PDA

View Full Version : 1.6 to 1.8 engine mounts

RustRat
01-27-2016, 11:34 AM
Couldn't find a thread that answers this question. So, hypotheticaly, I want to swap an NB engine, maybe a VVT, to my 1.6 NA. Someone suggested I get 1.8 engine mounts too.

Searching ilmotorsport.com, though, only seems to have 1 type of engine mount for NA and NB, no matter the engine size.

Is this true? Do I need to change my engine mounts for the 1.8 engine to fit?

What else would be required to swap the engine, without an aftermarket ecu?

Rogue
01-27-2016, 12:54 PM
The pass side bracket is 1.8 only….(VVT use dedicated brackets for the MBSP) ,but the engine mounts are the same.
Different part numbers NA to NB, but interchangeable and NBs are much cheaper.
That said, I'd at least go MazComp.

RustRat
01-27-2016, 01:23 PM
Yeah, I will definitely upgrade, maybe il stiffer rubber mounts, or Competition, I just want to be sure to purchase the right mounts.

90blue
02-01-2016, 10:19 PM
Been there done that, get the mounts that are on the engine currently.
Get as much as you can from the downer car.
Good things to have are the starter, the exhaust bracket to the trans, exhaust if going stock (all of it) and the engine wiring harness.
Good luck

topover
02-08-2016, 10:55 PM
90blue is correct. Get all parts as you can from the donor car. You can either get better parts like more durable engine support afterwards.

RustRat
02-10-2016, 04:03 PM
http://i.imgur.com/C7Tr9Ibh.jpg

Received the engine, already had the engine mounts and brackets, they seem to be in OK condition. Thanks all for your answers

freedomgli
02-11-2016, 08:08 AM
I think the confusion comes from the differing use of terminology. The rubber vibration dampening things that go between the two parts of the stamped steel motor mount brackets are called motor mounts. The stamped steel motor mount brackets themselves are also called motor mounts. The assembly of the stamped steel brackets and the rubber vibration dampening things together are also called motor mounts. The rubber parts are interchangeable between all NA cars. The stamped steel parts must stay with the motor being used. So NB2 motor in NA6 car should use the NB2 motor mount brackets.

RustRat
02-11-2016, 09:49 AM
Yup. Actually my car is a NA8 with a 1.6 engine, but the engine I got has the steel plates (motor mounts) plus the rubber stuff (also motor mounts) so I guess it's plug n play. Now I have to sort the electrical and fuel stuff...