PDA

View Full Version : Ordered my Engine Rebuild Kit

Meow
02-01-2012, 04:51 AM
Ordering the Flyin Miata full rebuild kit for my almost 200K mile 1.6L engine

it doesn't come with an oil pump or water pump, but i'll be replacing those as well.

Where have you guys ordered your oil pumps and water pumps?

I've had issues in the past with Rockauto sending the wrong water pump (twice...) for my mazda b2000 i used to have

or should i just order from autozone. Let me know what you guys have used in the past and worked out well.

Thanks in Advance

Leeroy
02-01-2012, 05:25 AM
I have gotten the wrong water pump from advance auto before. Still, I see no problem ordering from them again.

diabeetus
02-01-2012, 03:12 PM
i ordered mine from rosenthal mazda online. ships very quickly. and it was the correct part :P

Meow
02-02-2012, 03:43 AM
thanks for that ^

I've been searching up a storm about oil pumps...and found nothing so I'l going to keep the same on there since i've never had any oil psi issues. I also found a site that has the 1990 factory service manual available online for free. I ran into problems getting a copy of a factory service manual for a 1990 but sure enough there is a PDF online

i'll post the link, but if mods think this is promoting piracy you can remove but I wasn't able to find hard copies on ebay, amazon, etc

Anyways:

http://carsmanual.net/1990-Mazda-Miata-Workshop-Manual.html

there is a little download link and you'll need something to unZip the file.

kung fu jesus
02-02-2012, 11:21 AM
you're going to be doing yourself a huge disservice by not replacing the oil pump. they can fail and with the work and money you are already putting into it, it would be really easy to replace it while the engine is out.

there are blueprinted versions available from Boundary Engineering, but it's overkill for a street-driven Miata. They offer upgraded parts for them, too. Look into how some racers shim the oil pump springs to raise the pressure.

http://boundaryengineering.com/drupal/node/7

Meow
02-02-2012, 12:23 PM
these look like a great option...but the problem i have is that I have a 1990 1.6 and the only ones the site you shared are for 91+

If im not mistaken the 323 (could be wrong on this) shares the same oil pump. I need to keep looking, because you're right it would be a shame if that were to go out after doing the full rebuild

thanks

kung fu jesus
02-02-2012, 12:27 PM
Locate a long nose crank and put that in?

Meow
02-02-2012, 12:31 PM
fair enough, thanks anyways.

phillyb
02-02-2012, 12:39 PM
support the vendors!
i just ordered my oil pump from planet miata. call steve - 866-296-1100

Meow
02-02-2012, 12:46 PM
Always do^ i'll give him a call thanks

Meow
02-02-2012, 12:50 PM
...haha damn $350.

these things are no joke, huh?

kung fu jesus
02-02-2012, 01:44 PM
No, they are pretty expensive.

Have you considered buying a long nose engine and rebuilding that?

Meow
02-02-2012, 01:52 PM
yeah i've been sitting here researching that.

from what i've read there is 3 types of crankshafts for the B6

short, long, and "big"

with the short being the problem ones found in mid 91's and below. The problem being that they are weaker and closer to the engine with a 21mm bolt

long being the same ((meaning the 91-93 models)) with the same 21mm bolt and further spacing from the engine (using same oil pump i believe as the short)

and big ((which im guessing is 94+)) with the 27mm (that might be the wrong size) but overall more robust crank and you have to use the bigger oil pump for that.

Edit: ^i was wrong about the last one. it used bigger nose diameters

Meow
02-02-2012, 02:01 PM
also: (copied from miata.net/garage/crankshafts.html)

A SUMMARY OF THREE DIFFERENT CRANKSHAFTS

There are 3 crankshafts for 1.6 liter engines. Some people mention "short" and "long" when they really mean "short" and "big". Watch for this when you search archives. The crankshafts are the short nose, long nose, and big nose (Figures 1, 3, and 5 respectively). The short nose is fitted on early cars, the long nose is available primarily as a service part for those cars before the VIN cut in 1991. The long nose crankshaft is directly compatible with a short nose engine with no additional parts swapping required. The short nose and long nose use the same pulley bolt and torque. After the VIN cut, the big nose crankshaft is fitted with a bigger bolt. The nose of this crankshaft is larger diameter so a different engine front cover/oil pump is needed. The new oil pump has a bigger hole through the georotor to fit over the larger crankshaft. The big nose bolt has a larger threaded diameter, large shoulder diameter, and higher tightening torque. All of the bolts have 21mm heads.

We are fairly sure the long nose crankshaft is reliable. However, if you have more money than you know what to do with, your Miata can help you. Yes, the 1991 1/2 to 1993 crankshaft can be retrofitted to an early Miata. The crankshaft, pulley bolt, cam sprocket, front seal, pulley, spacer, and oil pump must be replaced as a set

im not sure if im reading this wrong but this seems like its contradicting itself....says it will replace with no extra parts to swap, but says in the second paragraph that you need to replace those parts as well.

kung fu jesus
02-02-2012, 03:00 PM
To swap in the big nose crankshaft in to your engine, you need the crankshaft, front seal, oil pump, timing belt sprocket, woodruff, spacer, crank pulley assembly, and pulley bolt.

It can be a bit difficult to find a long nose crankshaft by itself, unless you know of a reputable vendor that parts out the engines. To that extent, it is usually much easier to find a tired 91.5+ engine and rebuild that. It can be cheaper, too. I'll bet you can find a serviceable LNC engine for $300 or less.

Meow
02-02-2012, 03:43 PM
will continue to search then. I've contemplated getting another 1.6 engine for a spare, so i'll most likely be looking into that. North Carolina doesn't offer much in the lines of engines and whatnot. and I cant seem to trust those "JDM" engine sites what so ever. My best bet I guess is to look into maybe second chance roadster (although shipping would be a killer price). Well... Thanks for the info & suggestions

kung fu jesus
02-02-2012, 05:54 PM
Planet Miata is closer to Charlotte than SecondChance, though I recommend SecondChance.

You might be amazed what you find on craigslist or classifieds. There are a LOT of Miata owners and racers between Raleigh and Atlanta.

Meow
02-03-2012, 09:12 AM
yeah i've been scouring Craigslist for about a month now on any part outs with engines, or even just a cheap 93< na. But it's been coming up empty. Apex, NC always seems to have plenty of roadsters come through there, but by the time the ad hits craigslist the good stuff is gone.

+94 is stupid easy to find

But i've already invested in MSPNP for the 1.6 and various other parts, which is why i haven't decided to do the 1.8 swap.