PDA

View Full Version : SSR / Watanabe RS8 Refurb: Hardware?

MLambert19
04-28-2016, 12:52 PM
It would be a shame for me to bolt my wheels back together with shoddy hardware. I believe the bolts are M6x30? Mine came with a serrated nut and a serrated washer. Trying to find black or stainless replacements, any leads or info appreciated!

I know there are a few folks here with RS8's...

Thanks, -Matt

RustRat
04-28-2016, 01:59 PM
HarryB?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HarryB
04-28-2016, 03:50 PM
Deffo M8. I can measure mine when I get back on Tuesday. Whatever you decide to do, go with at least Grade 8.8 or higher hardware, preferably stainless. Nuts should be flanged to spread the load. You can use either serrated or metalocks, as nylocks cannot cope with the brake heat. I will clean up and re-use the original bolts on mine.

MLambert19
04-28-2016, 04:09 PM
HarryB, Thanks!

I have new serrated stainless shoulder nuts here. I'm just looking at my OE black bolts and thinking they could look better...

HarryB
04-28-2016, 04:31 PM
A hardware store stocking metric hardware could assist you; I would keep the original bolts though, except if they were seized. Question, did you manage to separate the centers? I have been trying mine for a week now, to no avail...It won't bulge and I do not want to use a hammer too hard on the centers.

MLambert19
04-28-2016, 06:12 PM
The original bolts all came off fine, they're a bit rusty is all. The nuts were really corroded, hence the replacements.

The centers took a bit of a pounding to come out. I used a block of wood. My hope is that I can tighten the nuts evenly to re-install the centers without damaging the new powdercoat. I had the powdercoat shop mask the contact area where the center mates with the barrel to ensure they didn't go back together any harder than they came apart.

HarryB
04-29-2016, 09:03 AM
Bolts came off fairly easily on mine as well. Tried a block of wood, but not too much force, as I was afraid that I will damage them. Will try that again; if not, heat might work.

MLambert19
04-29-2016, 09:35 AM
It was well worth it to get the centers off. Proper media blasting and two-stage (base & top) powdercoat made mine look as good as new. Only cost $120 ($30x4).

If there's a good wheel shop anywhere near you, I was told the best way (after already removing faces and having powdercoated) would have been to put the whole assembly in an agitator, then the shop will remove the faces & polish the barrels. My barrels are OK, I did a little to them myself, but in retrospect it would have been nice to have perfect barrels, too...

I guess it's fitting for my car, nothing on it is perfect, it's a driver. A few nicks and slight curbing on the wheels will make it easier to live with day-to-day.

HarryB
04-29-2016, 03:11 PM
That's the plan for the centers, sandblasting and powdercoated in champagne. I want to avoid a two step process, as I would like them slightly textured and matte. Most probably gonna shave and polish the barrels by myself on the lathe. Would love to see some pics of yours BTW!

P.S. Might be a good idea to start an RS8 (or split wheels in general) refurb thread, as a "how-to"; maybe with links to hardware, valves etc. Actually, this very thread could do...

HarryB
04-29-2016, 03:13 PM
I have found that this guy has proper 90deg valves with long stems. Bonus (for me), he's in Europe

http://www.mistertee.co.uk/2.html