PDA

View Full Version : backup camera

ronbar
05-14-2016, 03:05 PM
I want to buy and install a wireless backup camera system in my Miata, a 2012 PRHT.
But I am unsure about how the camera cable should be routed to get from the camera (outside the car) to the transmitter, which I think is to be placed inside the trunk.
If anyone has done this, how have you prevented any water leaks at the location where the cable must pierce the body panel(s)?
Can anyone provide info about this, preferably with pictures?
Thanks in advance,
Ron Kaplan

NCGreasemonkey
05-14-2016, 10:02 PM
Please introduce yourself and your Miata in the New member section section so we can greet you with a smile. http://mazdaroadster.net/forumdisplay.php?6-NEW-MEMBER-INTRODUCTIONS

Then ask questions so we have background on you to steer you in the right direction.

Joshuates5
05-17-2016, 03:45 AM
They suck.....I started a post about this the other day as well. My Lexus RCF has crystal clear backup camera on it.

JLBMX5
05-17-2016, 10:30 AM
I just installed a backup camera in my mothers minivan a couple of months ago. I went to advanced auto and purchased a pack of multi sized grommets. Used the size that fits tight on the wire and drilled a hole right behind the camera mount for wire to go through and grommet to fit snug in. Apply a little silicone for added waterproofing.

ronbar
05-20-2016, 11:07 AM
They suck.....I started a post about this the other day as well. My Lexus RCF has crystal clear backup camera on it.

Thanks for posting, but I'm confused.
Your reply starts with "...They suck...", but what you added sounds like you you're happy with the one in your Lexus.
What's your point?

ronbar
05-20-2016, 11:08 AM
I just installed a backup camera in my mothers minivan a couple of months ago. I went to advanced auto and purchased a pack of multi sized grommets. Used the size that fits tight on the wire and drilled a hole right behind the camera mount for wire to go through and grommet to fit snug in. Apply a little silicone for added waterproofing.

Thanks for the idea.
That may be a good way for me to proceed.