PDA

View Full Version : How to install a Miata hardtop with just one person video

Phatmiata
05-28-2016, 08:01 AM
I posted this somewhere else on the forum but putting this in here as well since this is the owner of ClubNA Products, seems only fitting. no pun intended.

Have you ever had no one else around to help but want to install your hardtop? If you find yourself needing to install your miata hardtop by yourself here is one way to do it.

I have to put my hardtop on with zero help today, so this is what i will be doing again, hate doing it this way as one wrong move and the hardtop gets damaged as does the Miata

Domo Arigato Yutaka Saito :bow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iSO5AQv7rs

NCGreasemonkey
05-28-2016, 08:08 AM
Almost every time I get the urge to do something that needs top removal there is no one around to lend a hand. And being slightly taller, longer arms and legs = better stance, I have gotten fairly good at removal and installation solo.

Hammerhead
05-28-2016, 08:11 AM
I have almost ALWAYS installed/removed the top myself and I'm only 5'7", but I've never done it the way shown in the video.

benpopham
05-28-2016, 09:56 AM
I don't think I am brave enough to do it that way!

90blue
05-28-2016, 01:27 PM
Tried it that way, once. My back objected.

tsingson
05-28-2016, 01:29 PM
Thats a neat eay to do it but I have a hoist and it stores it also. Yes it takes 3 times as long but its easy and I don't have to worry about where to store it.

JamieH
05-28-2016, 02:04 PM
Neat, now try that method with a roll bar.

I really need to get around to setting up a hoist.

tsingson
05-28-2016, 02:37 PM
Just got to Walmart and buy a deer hoist, Jamie. You will just need an eye bolt and ratchet straps after that. I can help you if you need it.

Willywongka
05-28-2016, 04:25 PM
I watched this a while ago and ACTUALLY attempted to do it... but it was WAAAAY harder than it looks in the video! Plus I have a rollbar, which gets in the way.

NCGreasemonkey
05-28-2016, 07:06 PM
Tried it that way, once. My back objected.

Thats a neat eay to do it but I have a hoist and it stores it also. Yes it takes 3 times as long but its easy and I don't have to worry about where to store it.

Neat, now try that method with a roll bar.

I really need to get around to setting up a hoist.

Just got to Walmart and buy a deer hoist, Jamie. You will just need an eye bolt and ratchet straps after that. I can help you if you need it.

I have the same deer hoist to insert and remove the deep-fried turkey on Thanksgiving and Christmas. Just change out the nylon cord for some heavy cotton clothes-line!!! You have been warned!!! :frantic:

tsingson
05-28-2016, 07:59 PM
I have been using what came with mine and it has worked great so far.

NCGreasemonkey
05-28-2016, 09:02 PM
I have been using what came with mine and it has worked great so far.

The nylon to cotton switch is just for hot oil use.

tsingson
05-28-2016, 09:08 PM
Ahh. You have to forgive the city in me. :mrgreen:

NCGreasemonkey
05-28-2016, 09:10 PM
Ahh. You have to forgive the city in me. :mrgreen:

And the old-man in me, too. Peace Bro!

C&C for us soon!!!

Phatmiata
05-28-2016, 10:05 PM
I watched this a while ago and ACTUALLY attempted to do it... but it was WAAAAY harder than it looks in the video! Plus I have a rollbar, which gets in the way.

pretty sure it wont work if you have a rollbar, lucky for me I have not installed the rollbar yet. It worked fine for me. I just put some moving blankets in the seats so that I did not scratch the interior when i came in feet first

theothersawyer
05-29-2016, 12:45 AM
I sold my hardtop because I missed the top down driving! I either never took the HT off or never put it on, because I couldn't do it myself! Having the extra money from selling the top was nice too!

Demon I Am
05-31-2016, 12:20 PM
That's been my internal struggle as well ^

My method is usually right hand on the passenger corner, and left hand in between the franken-latches. Bear-hug that beast, and hope your hands are dry. I may have to try this, now that I don't have a rollbar.

turboedpickup
06-01-2016, 01:09 PM
My method is usually right hand on the passenger corner, and left hand in between the franken-latches. Bear-hug that beast, and hope your hands are dry.

That's pretty much what I do as well. But I already feel the ticking timebomb that is my back going out XD. So yeah, I usually only keep it on - or store it away for a day and go for a nice drive - and put it back on later.

Demon I Am
06-01-2016, 02:59 PM
Took mine off last night for the first time in a while, since the house mates are away and the garage is open. I forgot how lovely night driving could be!

theothersawyer
06-01-2016, 03:17 PM
Top down night driving is one of the greatest things ever!

Paul B
06-09-2016, 07:43 PM
I am not able to view the video but 99% of the time I find myself installing and removing HT by myself. Long arms and torso help as mentioned above. I had a pulley system but it never seemed to work properly.

Easier for me to put a soft towel or piece of soft carpet on the trunk lid and carefully place the top on the car from the side.

when ever my lovely wife has helped me we seem to get crossed up and ends up badly somehow lol