PDA

View Full Version : Clutch options for a daily

HarryB
08-29-2016, 07:32 AM
I am searching lately for a new clutch for my NB2. Looking to support future mods, so the clutch has to withstand 190ish whp and about 145 lb-ft torque. Now I know that there are options out there, but most of them involve puck-style clutches which are bad for daily driveability. Most of them use uprated pressure plates as well (makes sense as it increases the clamping load thus torque capacity) resulting however in heavy clutch pedal and putting additional strain to the clutch system hydraulics. I was investigating the FM kit, as well as Competition Clutch stage 2 and Exedy organic stage 1 clutches...and then thought that maybe the Exedy MSM replacement is up to the task.

Are there any other sensible options out there?

kung fu jesus
08-29-2016, 07:40 AM
I prefer ACT clutches. I know the pedal is heavier, but I don't think it is that bad and I know the sort of quality I can expect.

I had an ACT extreme clutch with a solid, sprung plate for my 1.6 that was rated to 300 hp/tq and it held up to anything I threw at it. It had a lot of life on it when I swapped it out 9 years later. I DD that car in Los Angeles traffic.

I now have an ACT HD clutch for my 1.6. It is heavier than the stock clutch I put in there, but the feel is better and shifts are quicker. The HD pedal feels a little lighter than the Extreme version.

I considered the Exedy, but for the price and load rating, I was unsure if it would be enough.

tsingson
08-29-2016, 07:42 AM
This is good information as I will be looking into clutches within the next year.

kung fu jesus
08-29-2016, 07:45 AM
Oh really?

http://images.gtcarlot.com/pictures/46954958.jpg

HarryB
08-29-2016, 09:27 AM
Eternal slip! :P

TBH I was looking at the MSM Exedy unit as it was cheap and not an overkill for my setup. It seems that it can take it, but longevity could be an issue.

What is the general feel about Competition Clutch Stage 2 (2100 Series)? Specs seem rather nice, coming from a reputable company and price is not bad either...

kung fu jesus
08-29-2016, 09:34 AM
I have never experienced that clutch, I don't know much about them. The thought has occured to me about different clutch hydraulics. Would a larger bore clutch master alleviate the pedal stiffness? I know with the ACT Extreme, I was proactively replacing the clutch slaves every other year. The slaves are cheap, but I just wish there was a stouter design available. My HD ACT (non Extreme) feels on par with older BMW clutches (pre-e46). My clutch history: stock > ACT Extreme> Stock > ACT HD. I remember when I had the Extreme, if I got into my wife's stock NB, I would slam her clutch pedal to the floor because I was expecting the same resisitance. :)

mx54life
08-29-2016, 10:27 AM
Hey Harry I have MSM clutch in my NB with FFS and it is so easy to use daily. Altho' I got this already in the car when I bought it, record shows that it has over 80k on it and still clamps like a champ. The power rating you are looking is where I am at give or take. OEM quality.

tsingson
08-29-2016, 11:06 AM
Oh really?

http://images.gtcarlot.com/pictures/46954958.jpg

Pretty much. It's hard to double clutch it.

HarryB
08-29-2016, 12:01 PM
Thanks everyone! ACT Extreme holds fine in a friends' 300+ hp 1.8 turbo, but it is waaay heavier than OEM. Ed, what you said intrigued me, as the peak might be the same but for sure the FFS has way more torque in low RPMs than my planned Rotrex. In theory, the Rotrex should be easier to the clutch. Does it happen to have the part. no handy?

Rogue
08-29-2016, 12:26 PM
Just pulled the debris left from one of those crappy Spec clutches that only had 2k miles……not the first I've replaced either.
Im a fan of ACT HD, and the newer ones don't seem to have the heavy pedal of the older ones.

HarryB
08-29-2016, 03:47 PM
Spec are crap. I get only the best reviews for ACT, and they seem to be able to outlast the car at my target power/torque levels. My issue is that the price difference between the MSM Exedy and the ACT is simply huge.

Greasemonkey2000
08-29-2016, 05:41 PM
Just pulled the debris left from one of those crappy Spec clutches that only had 2k miles……not the first I've replaced either.
Well I have over 4k miles on my SPEC Stage 3 (320ft/lbs) 6 puck. :shrug:

Spec are crap.
Hey! ;)

I bought mine used with less than 1k miles on it from The Parts Group several years ago for $75 so I am not complaining. It is true puck sucks! I had a 6 puck Clutch Masters clutch on a 04 SRT4 and liked it so that is why I tried this one.

The engagement is instantaneous but you can't(shouldn't) slip it so it is more difficult to operate but since I don't drive in much stop n go traffic, it doesn't bother me that much. Even my wife drives it w/o much issue.

Wish I had more relevant/helpful information... :fp:

mx54life
08-30-2016, 12:41 AM
Thanks everyone! ACT Extreme holds fine in a friends' 300+ hp 1.8 turbo, but it is waaay heavier than OEM. Ed, what you said intrigued me, as the peak might be the same but for sure the FFS has way more torque in low RPMs than my planned Rotrex. In theory, the Rotrex should be easier to the clutch. Does it happen to have the part. no handy?

Sorry I don't have the part # handy. But the owner told me that it is MSM clutch. It grabs pretty good in the low gears. No slips or any sort of difficulty even when I rev it hard. Yes the FFS does give the car the motorcycle like launches. My skills is not in par with the cars capability lol. I have driven a Miata with ACT clutch before and all I can say is that my current set-up is not inferior. With the mileage it has I am impress with the MSM. But of course if I have the budget I wanna try the carbon ones sold by GWR.

HarryB
08-30-2016, 02:29 AM
Well I have over 4k miles on my SPEC Stage 3 (320ft/lbs) 6 puck. :shrug:

Hey! ;)

I bought mine used with less than 1k miles on it from The Parts Group several years ago for $75 so I am not complaining. It is true puck sucks! I had a 6 puck Clutch Masters clutch on a 04 SRT4 and liked it so that is why I tried this one.

The engagement is instantaneous but you can't(shouldn't) slip it so it is more difficult to operate but since I don't drive in much stop n go traffic, it doesn't bother me that much. Even my wife drives it w/o much issue.

Wish I had more relevant/helpful information... :fp:

Every bit of info is useful! ;) Did not mean to sound harsh before, but all the reviews I get for SPEC clutches are not the best. Also keep in mind that your clutch is rated for 3+ times the torque output of your motor, so I would be surprised if you actually had an issue. Puck clutches are a no-no for my use; commuting through a city center and parallel parking would kill it (as well as my nerves).

Ed thanks, really glad to hear that!