PDA

View Full Version : Brakes squeling after new pads put in

Rock Star
01-04-2017, 02:59 AM
My brakes are squealing. I know it is not the brake shoes because the mechanic changed them. What can cause the squeal? They squealed before and I thought it needed new brake shoes because there was a little left. Please let me know what I can do about the noise.

Hammerhead
01-04-2017, 08:34 AM
OMG! Take off them brake shoes and put on brake pads! Shoes are only used for drum brakes.

Kidding aside, brake pads can easily squeal even when new. It is important to 'bed' all pads when new. This means finding and empty stretch of road where you can bring the car up to highway speeds (50+ MPH or so) and do a series of hard stops. **EDIT - different pad types require different types of bedding techniques. Follow the link below for some good tips and you may also want to GOOGLE "how to bed brake pads" for more info**

For quick reference, here is some info from TireRack.com (http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=85):

"All brake pads must be bedded-in with the rotor they will be used against to maximize brake performance. The bedding-in process involves a gradual build up of heat in the rotors and pad compound. This process will lay down a thin layer of transfer film on to the rotor surface. Following the bed-in procedures provided by the manufacturer will assure a smooth, even layer of transfer film on the rotor and will minimize brake judder."

If this does not resolve your issue, put a thin layel of anti-squeal compund (usually comes in a tube) on the backs of the pads and reinstall.

turboedpickup
01-04-2017, 11:20 AM
This is probably what needs to be done on my end as well. Weh wehhh - Now to find an empty stretch of road.