PDA

View Full Version : Resolved Tapatalk and YouTube

Tekel
02-06-2012, 07:19 PM
The plungin or what ever is used for grabbing and displaying YouTube videos is not tapatalk friendly. Instead of displaying the video, it displays a link that always goes to a 404. Not sure of the fix, but just bringing it to your attention. For now I just open the thread in the browser.

MazRoadAdmin
02-07-2012, 12:41 AM
That's a Tapatalk problem. If they claim Tapatalk is compatible with VBulletin 4 (and they do), then it should work, as this forum is an unmodified installation of VBulletin 4.

Sorry, nothing we can do about that one.

JakeLS01
02-07-2012, 07:12 PM
That's a Tapatalk problem. If they claim Tapatalk is compatible with VBulletin 4 (and they do), then it should work, as this forum is an unmodified installation of VBulletin 4.

Sorry, nothing we can do about that one.

Seems as if Tapatalk has a way to solve this problem. It's worked for many (not just the ones that replied to the thread) and it might be worth a shot. See the below link. "Jayeley," a plugin developer for Tapatalk, uploaded a compressed (zip) file that contains a file to replace over another file in the directory mobiquo/include/.

http://tapatalk.com/forum/threads/cannot-open-youtube-links-anymore.8746/#post-47877

MazRoadAdmin
02-07-2012, 07:26 PM
Tapatalk fix applied. Try it.

JakeLS01
02-07-2012, 08:02 PM
Test:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esLGEA6U2tI

Success!

Note: I read this will apply from now on. Meaning that past videos links posted on the forums will not work still. From now on, they will though.

MazRoadAdmin
02-07-2012, 08:07 PM
I hope that's not the case. If Tapatalk is modifying how data is being stored in my forum database, I really don't like that idea. Tapatalk should simply be reading YouTube links that exist in posts and handling them appropriately.

JakeLS01
02-07-2012, 08:19 PM
I hope that's not the case. If Tapatalk is modifying how data is being stored in my forum database, I really don't like that idea. Tapatalk should simply be reading YouTube links that exist in posts and handling them appropriately.

It's because those links were posted in the past and it's not going to go back and modify the links. Now, the script knows to use "Youtube.com" instead of "Youtu.be" I really don't see anything wrong with the fix, besides the fact that it works. I don't believe this is any kind of security issue or would cause DB errors, in my opinion.

MazRoadAdmin
02-07-2012, 08:37 PM
http://youtu.be/GCRrsXJsMA0

Test.

MazRoadAdmin
02-07-2012, 08:39 PM
Okay, it's not changing the data.

But, if the fix is valid, it should still display the video I just linked.

It probably intercepts the youtu.be AS IT IS SENT TO THE MOBILE and changes it to whatever works better on the mobile. But, what I see above on my notebook is a youtu.be link, just as I posted it.

JakeLS01
02-07-2012, 08:54 PM
Okay, it's not changing the data.

But, if the fix is valid, it should still display the video I just linked.

It probably intercepts the youtu.be AS IT IS SENT TO THE MOBILE and changes it to whatever works better on the mobile. But, what I see above on my notebook is a youtu.be link, just as I posted it.

Ya, that's what is being done to my understanding. Only difference between the link you posted and the one I posted (on post #5) is that mine opened the YouTube app (on my iPhone) and your's loaded the video off youtube.com and opened/played in Safari.

MazRoadAdmin
02-07-2012, 09:08 PM
As long as it works, and it's not doing anything goofy with my data, it's all good. :)