PDA

View Full Version : FYI About my new turbo.

Grendel
05-02-2017, 01:26 PM
Turbo duties will be handled by a Garrret made for the nissan s15. Turns out after a little research I did that it is the same as the GT2560R. They are just cheaper from the nissan dealership presumably because nissan had so many built. I will keep you all updated as to how the fit is. FYI This will only work with a 5 bolt downpipe pattern so if you are running a Vband thsi turbo is not for you! I just wanted to make a thread about this development because it could save the community allot of money so long as it works out. :slayer:

Greasemonkey2000
05-02-2017, 01:28 PM
Gt2560r is the ball bearing version, most sr20det turbos are journal bearing...i believe the Spec R(?) is what had the ball bearing version but I'm no Silvia expert. :fp:

Grendel
05-02-2017, 01:34 PM
You are correct sir! I am glad you reminded me of this! Part number 91f00 Is the ball bearing version guys!

Grendel
05-02-2017, 01:36 PM
You will also need and inlet flange and an oulet flange.. If it all works out I will give you guys links to those. Wish me luck!

RotorNutFD3S
05-02-2017, 02:50 PM
Good luck!

I'm really not trying to sound like "that guy" but these turbos have been used before, both the journal and ball bearing versions, although it was pretty much pre-2010 when they were popular and discussed regularly. Along with the compressor inlet and outlet flanges, the turbo you choose will determine what flanges you need on your exhaust manifold and downpipe inlet as those were different than standard. And if I'm recalling it correctly, the turbine and compressor wheels are made of a different metal vs. an off the shelf standard Garrett GT2560R.

Grendel
05-02-2017, 03:26 PM
Good luck!

I'm really not trying to sound like "that guy" but these turbos have been used before, both the journal and ball bearing versions, although it was pretty much pre-2010 when they were popular and discussed regularly. Along with the compressor inlet and outlet flanges, the turbo you choose will determine what flanges you need on your exhaust manifold and downpipe inlet as those were different than standard. And if I'm recalling it correctly, the turbine and compressor wheels are made of a different metal vs. an off the shelf standard Garrett GT2560R.

You do not sound like "That guy" at all!! I am still new to the turbo game and was not aware that this had been discussed extensively.. Maybe it will help one of the new comers out though!

NCGreasemonkey
05-02-2017, 09:47 PM
The hell with it! I am going to high-jack Grendel's thread because it took me bashing him about making one!

About damn time! :whistle:

And feedback is key. These guys have done it, blown it, paid for it.

And, BTW, I have clothing for you and the Mrs. and little ones in bound. The infant was too small. So, hand-me-downs. :japaneseflag:

Grendel
05-03-2017, 04:01 AM
The hell with it! I am going to high-jack Grendel's thread because it took me bashing him about making one!

About damn time! :whistle:

And feedback is key. These guys have done it, blown it, paid for it.

And, BTW, I have clothing for you and the Mrs. and little ones in bound. The infant was too small. So, hand-me-downs. :japaneseflag:

Sweet!!!

Frenchmanremy
04-10-2018, 09:38 AM
I strongly recommend you have a look at Miataturbo.net
The sr20 turbines have been used many, many times in our applications. There are differences between a Nissan one and an Garrett one.

tsingson
04-10-2018, 11:15 AM
This car was sold to another member. Not sure what direction the build is headed in since the new owner has stopped posting. I think we need AO to hunt him down.