PDA

View Full Version : Resolved The banner rotator loads weird.

R2Limited
12-23-2011, 10:52 PM
The top banner rotator loads weird. When I click to a new page I can see all of the banners for a second before they disappear. It's quite disconcerting. Would love to see it fixed so that this doesn't happen. OS X - ChromeHaven't tested it in other browsers because I'm lazy. Anyone else seeing this?

RotorNutFD3S
12-23-2011, 11:02 PM
Doing it for me as well in Firefox.

http://mazdaroadster.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=121&d=1324699479

revlimiter
12-23-2011, 11:33 PM
It doesn't work for me at all.
Firefox and Chrome on Linux 64bit.

It DOES work on the stock HTC browser on my Android phone. It's glitchy on Miren, my favorite Android browser.

Phatmiata
12-23-2011, 11:37 PM
10-4 we are on it and working to see what the problem is

MazRoadAdmin
12-23-2011, 11:44 PM
Y'all need faster interwebz or slower eyes! :chuncky:

I've noticed it. (and even read about the possibility of it before setting up the script) It has to do with how the ads are loaded. Initially, there were only 3 ads, they loaded very quickly, and this wasn't a problem. But, Phat's gone and rounded up another 5 sponsors already. 8 banners means that 8 images have to load... and the delay starts accumulating.

Anyway, thanks for the bug report. I'll try to find another method to handle the banners. Needed to do that, anyway. Until then, just blink after the page starts loading.

Interestingly, I just checked it in FF and it's very obvious. In Chrome, every now and then I see it, but usually not. Chrome FTW.

R2Limited
12-23-2011, 11:48 PM
Chrome is definitely my browser of choice.

Can you set the absolute X position of the banners to something ridiculous like 3000px while they load? At least then nobody will see them until they are pulled into place by the rotator.

Eunosbaby
12-24-2011, 12:02 AM
I'm on Firefox and it had an advertisement the first time I visited. It has since been black.

R2Limited
12-24-2011, 12:07 AM
Ok. Just took a peek at some of the CSS. If you take the margin that you have on the slider ID (#slider on line 111 of forum.php) and apply it to the slider CLASS (.slider on line 122 of forum.php) and then set the slider CLASS overflow to "hidden" - that may prevent us seeing those images stacked on top of one another when they load in.

You can't just set the overflow of the slider CLASS to "hidden" because it doesn't overlap the slider ID perfectly and it ends up cutting it off. That's why you have to swap the margin attributes to it.

So...starting on line 111 you'd have:

#slider {
padding: 0;
}

And on line 122:

.slider {
width: 468px;
height: 60px;
margin: 30px 0 0 10px;
overflow: hidden;
}

I'm not sure if you even need the padding atribute on #slider but it's already there and not causing any problems so....

MazRoadAdmin
12-24-2011, 12:13 AM
Yeah, I was thinking using the "hidden" attribute somewhere would fix it. I didn't write this code, I just copied it and it worked well enough for the moment. (you'd think a banner rotator would be a standard feature of a modern forum package, but no) I'll get into it and sort it. Maybe tonight, maybe not.

I want to look into making the ads come up in random order instead of a fixed order, so this script may go away entirely in favor of something else.

The more I think I'm getting ahead, the further I fall behind. But, for a website that didn't exist AT ALL until Monday night, I'm not complaining too much. Things are going pretty well.

R2Limited
12-24-2011, 12:17 AM
Things are going freaking awesome. "Pretty well" is an understatement.

If you need any help customizing the JQuery script that the slider runs on (eg. making them load randomly instead of in sequence), let me know. The guy that works for me writes JQuery in his sleep. Just PM or email me.

theothersawyer
12-24-2011, 12:29 AM
It happens for me too, but it is so fast it is barely noticeable and not annoying, but I guess it would be nice to have it not happen at all.

morr
12-24-2011, 02:58 PM
This seems to be happening to me too. Doesn't matter if I'm on a Mac or PC. It either only does it for a split second or stays there with all of the ads visible at once.

MazRoadAdmin
12-24-2011, 09:00 PM
This issue should be fixed now.

R2Limited
12-24-2011, 11:10 PM
Confirmed that it's fixed for me.

smaeda
12-24-2011, 11:42 PM
yep. fixed for me too.

Agent☣Orange
12-24-2011, 11:43 PM
Fixed on iPad Safari as well.

Agent☣Orange
12-25-2011, 12:13 PM
All is well with the banner ads so closing thread.