PDA

View Full Version : My NB1 speaker + amp install: a sort-of guide.

Gerry
02-09-2012, 12:38 AM
I didn't think about writing a thread for this, so pictures are scarce. Oh well. I used stock photos from websites to fill in some gaps. I simply don't have pictures for some steps; sorry.

This write-up is long, so I have to split it into 2 posts.

I wanted to write this to share my experience. There seems to be a lot of 2001+ NB2 guides and feedback, but 99-00 NB1 models are a bit different inside the door panels and the electronic plugs we have to work with. I also want to show people that it's possible to get a decent audio setup without giving up too much.

I like to do things in hardest-first order. So while reading this, keep in mind that I intentionally did all the hard steps first, just to get them out of the way. That's just my philosophy of doing things! :P

The speakers:
http://www.massiveaudio.com/store/image.php?type=T&id=16176
Massive Audio CK-6 Stage V
Link: http://www.massiveaudio.com/store/product.php?productid=16175&cat=254&page=1

The amplifier:
http://www.massiveaudio.com/store/image.php?type=D&id=113
Massive Audio NX2
Link: http://www.massiveaudio.com/store/product.php?productid=16247&cat=251&page=1

The problem:
In an ideal world, the Miata would have a lot of space, good acoustics, and great theft prevention. Yes well, take all those ideals and throw them out the window with this car. Accept the fact that you won't have a perfect audio setup no matter how much money you spend. Also, accept the fact that real-estate is a premium in the car, so compromises must be made for audio quality, practicality, and security.

The solution:
This combination offers a good compromise between sound quality and the rest of the drawbacks with the car. These speakers respond well at 40 hz and go up from there. Typically, anything under 80 hz is considered "real bass," or frequencies so low that the average human can't locate its source. Yes, a subwoofer would definitely fill the low end, but where would you put it? The trunk, so you lose some of the already laughable trunk? Plus, you'd have a big box that screams "steal me." No thanks! When combined with a clean, beefy power source (like the Massive NX2), these component speakers offer plenty of mid-bass, a little bit of real bass, and clarity in the mids and highs.

The selection of the amp was also critical. This amp, even with its high power and sound quality, is small enough to fit in the NB trunk tunnel, even with a roll bar! This will fit behind the carpet trim piece in the trunk. This means it's a completely stealth installation; nobody will see it. As far as the eye can see, you have a stock, crappy speaker setup! And you even get to keep all of your trunk space!

Give up a subwoofer, gain immensely in practicality and security. The speakers, with enough power, sound great without a sub. Not having a subwoofer is also wayyy cheaper! That's the choice I made and I'm happy with it.

This installation method is great for future-proofing your audio setup. Do the hard work once, then swapping speakers and amps should be a matter of minutes, including setups with separate crossovers, such as mine.

How it's done:
The factory wiring is worthless for anything other than OEM speakers, or other weak things. Unless you want the crossovers in the door, which has been done with success by other people, then it's impossible to use the OEM wiring. Personally, I didn't want the crossovers in the door due to moisture and future flexibility (adjustments, swap-outs, etc). Plus, even if I did, the OEM wiring probably couldn't handle the power that the speakers require. I used 14 gauge wiring for my entire install.

First, prep your speakers. Solder speaker wire to the terminals. Crimp waterproof terminal/interconnects to the ends. You can pick whatever scheme you want, but I chose male terminals for the speakers, and later I'll put female terminals in the doors. Here are the terminals I'm talking about:
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f71/sluggxp/speakerDisconnects.jpg

Remove your seats, b-pillar covers, door sills, and the plastic trims that go by your feet. Remove the dead pedal on the driver's side, too. Remove the plastic snaps holding in the carpet around the area behind the seats pull back on the carpet, leaving it all exposed. Remove the trunk trim piece that hides the battery/wiring and the passenger trunk tunnel. Run speaker wire from your trunk through the hole between the package shelf and the seat belt, then all the way to under the dash. Leave plenty of slack! This will be the wiring for your right speaker. Route it through the carpeted areas. Do the same for the left side. Keep them labeled, especially in the trunk!

Okay, here we go. Remove your glove box. Next, we need to remove the AC/heater blower fan assembly. Here's a pic from the bottom side:
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f71/sluggxp/IMG_0085.jpg

This part is the most frustrating and difficult. You could remove the entire dash for easier access, but I was able to do it without doing so. You'll need a small 10 mm wrench. Unplug two electrical cables from the blower assembly. Unhook the cable from the door lever and unsnap it from the bracket. There's a large metal strap with a snap-clamp on it. Unsnap the clamp and it'll be loose; push it completely against the blower fan. There are two 10 mm nuts you'll need to remove; they're easy to find and easy to remove once you're laying on your back under the dash. Then there's a 10 mm bolt toward the top, above the large connector/cable. This thing is nearly impossible to get to; good luck! It's gotta be pulled. No way around it. Once it's removed, you need to wiggle, push, pull, and otherwise finaggle the entire blower unit out of its place and out of the car. Pat yourself on the back; you've completed the second hardest part of the install! The hardest part is when you're done and now you need to put this thing back in. LOL!

Now you'll be able to see the plug that leads to the door. Notice how the NB1 plug/connector does not have the green, half-ring shaped latch that the NB2 has:
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f71/sluggxp/IMG_0086.jpg

Sit up and open the door. Look at the rubber boot covering the exterior part of the plug:
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f71/sluggxp/IMG_0088.jpg

Here's where I'm a bit scarce on pictures, so I'll try my best at describing the steps. Pry away the rubber boot from the plug. The rubber has a recess that fits over a lip on the plastic plug, so you need to lift up on the rubber with a screwdrivers, then simultaneously use needle-nose pliers to start pulling away at the boot. Once you get it started, it becomes easier. Once the boot is off the connector, push it toward the door to completely reveal the plastic connector. You'll see a small green peg at the top of it. Grab it with needle nose pliers and pull HARD, straight out of the connector. Once it snaps out, you can remove the entire connector; remove it.

Now you need to remove the door. There are plenty of tutorials online, but I'll give a brief overview. There's a pin holding the door-stop lever in place; hammer it out from the bottom. I stuck a metal stud under it to help me hammer it out. Then there's 4 bolts (off the top of my head, 10 mm, but I'm not sure) connecting the door to the hinges, 2 per hinge. If you remove them from bottom to top, you don't need to support the weight of the door until you're loosening the top bolt. Once the door is off, set it down on something soft right next to where it came off. I used a thick blanket.

Now that the door cabling and plug are easier to access, pull that green snap completely out of the plug. Yes - pull hard, completely remove it! Now look at the plug receptacle on the car. See where the green part used to snap into? Snip away the plastic tabs, then drill a larger hold into the plastic above the existing square hole.

Estimate the amount of wiring you'll need for the woofer and separately for the tweeter. Notice how the tweeter wiring needs to be a bit longer, plus extra slack to you can install/uninstall the door panel. Go ahead and over-estimate; you can always trim excess. Cut these pieces and take them with you.

Go back to your door. Grab the rubber boot on the connector and fully compress it. From the inside of the door, push the speaker wire through the boot. Do the second wire the same way (slightly tighter fit). Here's a pic:
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f71/sluggxp/IMG_0090.jpg

Pull the wiring through so that they kinda/sorta ends up in the positions they should be in. Stretch the rubber boot back over the lip on the connector (don't forget this!). Make sure to label them somehow so that you know which goes to the tweeter and which goes to the woofer.

Gerry
02-09-2012, 12:38 AM
Now grab the other ends of the wiring and shove them through the big hole you just opened up with your drill. Label them or something to differentiate between the two. Once they're through, you can pull them from the inside and get rid of the slack. Here's a pic:
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f71/sluggxp/IMG_0089.jpg

Now as you lift the door, and thus create more slack, start pulling it from the inside of the car. As you align the door, get rid of all slack in the wires. Get the door bolted on and plug the connector back in. It won't snap anymore, since we removed the snapping mechanism, but it's got so much friction that it won't come out.

Now you need to put the blower fan back in. May the force be with you for this one. Keep in mind that you need to route your new speaker wires through/around the blower that you're putting back in!

Figure out where you want to put your crossover inside the car. I velcroed mine under the dash, well out of the way and out of sight. Determine the required length, add some slack (your judgement). Snip the wires to the desired length and crimp on some spade terminals, like so:
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f71/sluggxp/spadeTerminals.jpg
^^ Don't forget to also crimp the spade terminals onto the main speaker wire that we ran from the trunk!

Remember the terminals you put on the speakers? Crimp the opposite terminals onto the new wiring in the door! Tuck away the old, OEM wiring and secure it with ties.

Now unscrew the tweeter bracket from your door panel. Use pliers to un-snap the plastic connector from the metal bracket. You need to remove the screw that's holding in the tweeter. In my experience, this was impossible, so I actually had to drill through the screw to remove it. The OEM tweeter is also glued in, so you need to pry it off with a screw driver. Install your new tweeter in this bracket. I needed to bend a couple things on the bracket with some pliers to get mine to fit; your experience may vary. Reinstall it into the door trim.

The new 6.5" woofers won't fit in the factory speaker well, so now you need to make a speaker adapter. YellowYatta has a great write-up on the topic. Follow it, except don't use wood (like he did). Instead, use something very thin, like plexiglass (I used Lexan). This is because the NB1 clearances are different than his NB2 and the door panel can't be re-installed with a thick piece of wood. Otherwise, follow his guide here: http://tampabaymiatas.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11255

I also recommend buying cheap foam baffles to protect the speakers from water. Cut out the bottom third of the baffle so the speaker doesn't choke.

Now hook up the woofer wiring to the terminals in the door. Convenient, right? Screw the speaker into the door. Hooray! See pic (driver's side, but you get the point):
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f71/sluggxp/IMG_0092.jpg

Connect the terminals for the tweeter and re-install the door panel. Before closing the door, make sure you've hammered in the pin for the door-stop!

Grab all the wires, which have nice, clean spade terminals, and connect them up to your crossover. When done, secure the crossover to its location (mine's under the dash with velcro) and tuck away the wire slack. You're done with the passenger side! Hooray!

The driver's side is WAY easier. There's nothing in the way to get the wiring through! It's basically the same as the passenger side, except you don't have an AC blower to deal with. I mounted my crossover right inside the plastic cover underneath and kind of behind the steering wheel. It come out with two screws; plenty of space inside.

Now you need to run your RCA audio cables and amp turn-on signal wire from your head unit to your trunk. It's pretty straight forward; see your head unit's manual for more details. Plenty of tutorials online for this.

Once all the wires are sent back to the trunk, with plenty of slack to play with, then you're ready to put the car back together, minus the trunk. The rest is a very standard amplifier installation, to which you can follow one of many hundreds of tutorials online. Just route all your power wires behind the trims to keep a stealthy installation. I used 4 gauge wiring to power the amp, but 8 should be fine. To secure the amp, I made a patch of foam weather stripping that supports its weight and eliminates rattles, then the amp stands vertically by use of velcro.

Results:
Sounds way better! I'm quite happy with it. It's nice having incredibly clean, high powered speakers. They can get over wind noise without any issues without any distortion whatsoever. The best part is that my car still looks stock; no flashy subwoofers, amps, or general nonsense showing! I can still enjoy my Miata with no worries! ;)

Agent☣Orange
02-10-2012, 12:07 AM
Thank you for posting Gerry! I know it's already an ordeal to run the wires and then another to do a whole writeup on it. I can't wait to hear your setup in person. I deal with some "stock s good enough" naysayers but they don't know until they hear what great sound can be had from a simple amp/speaker upgrade!