PDA

View Full Version : 01 Miata LS Engine problem

Pedalman
01-25-2018, 01:19 PM
Hello, I am having an issue with my 2001 Miata LS I was hoping someone might be able to help me on. The car runs fine, but after driving a few miles and the engine getting to normal temp, it will die at idle whether in park or drive. Many times after pulling under the carport with the car in park it will just die. It does not give a code, and it does not miss like it is running out of gas, just quits but will start back up. I have changed the timing belt a few months back, new cam shaft sensor, new crankshaft sensor, and new fuel filter. It also has new plugs, plug wires, and coil packs. I have also replaced the O2 sensors. I would appreciate any advice if anyone has experienced this problem. Thanks for any help.

kung fu jesus
01-25-2018, 03:47 PM
Dirty throttle body, throttlebody idle adjustment, or dirty/failing idle control valve (ICV).

kung fu jesus
01-25-2018, 06:56 PM
It may also a simple, minor vacuum leak that shows itself after the car is past cold start.

Pedalman
01-26-2018, 11:34 AM
Thanks, I appreciate it. I will try to clean it and look around for a vacuum leak, it is random and hard to find. Thanks again.

Demon I Am
01-26-2018, 01:57 PM
starter fluid is your friend for finding vac leaks

Pedalman
02-11-2018, 06:46 PM
After this intermittent proble of the engine stalling I finally found the issue. The wire coming from the crankshaft position sensor running upwards to the plug was rubbing against the pulley. It had already cut the insulation on the wire and it appears that it was grounding out against the pulley. I run a scan with my BlueDriver and came back with P0343, prior to yesterday, the check engine light never came on. We taped the bad spot in the wire and tie strapped it away from the pulley and it cranked right up. Seems to be running fine now. I wanted to share what I found. Bad design on that wire placement. Thanks to all who posted to help, I appreciate it.

kung fu jesus
02-11-2018, 07:20 PM
Awesome! Glad it was an easy fix! Thanks for reporting back!

Agent☣Orange
02-11-2018, 10:17 PM
I have an LS but no wisdom with Miata swaps however, my dad’s Miata suffered exactly the same thing during a water pump change. His PS pulley cut into the wiring harness and disabled the motor at the end of the driveway. Better there than a hundred miles away.