PDA

View Full Version : Answered Grammer and puncuation moderation.

Eunosbaby
12-23-2011, 11:26 PM
Partially serious, but really. Our local forum, Mx5Atlanta, is not that bad about it at all, but on CR some users would be so terrible at it, even I at age 19 would not understand what the user was trying to say.Possible? Not fair? I guess it's hard to as some people that don't speak English as well as we do can't help it, which is fine because it's not just a US car, let alone a US forum.Then again, there are plug-ins for IE and Firefox to help with these things if you really can't help it :pJust my input; it really.. grinds my gears.

phillyb
12-23-2011, 11:29 PM
grammar*
you're not allowed to criticize people's grammar or punctuation ever!
go to hell

Agent☣Orange
12-23-2011, 11:32 PM
Eunos, look on the bright side. You now qualify for a phillyb hates me sticker! :)

Eunosbaby
12-23-2011, 11:33 PM
Haha! Did I say spelling?

Spelling is not as bad IMO cuz it the typin lyk dis that drives me crazy u feel me b/c sometimes i rally cant understand wut ppl r tryin to say yup i know rite this is trrble and hurts my eyes thx guys

:stupid:

Agent☣Orange
12-23-2011, 11:45 PM
You know, I'm no grammar cop but if I saw that crap, I wouldn't bother reading it. If someone doesn't take the time to write a legible post, they shouldn't expect anyone to take the time to answer. I have nothing but respect for foreign members who are trying though.

Eunosbaby
12-23-2011, 11:50 PM
I'm not either and it usually doesn't bother me. 99% of the time on our local forum, there isn't any of that crap, but I did notice it much more frequently on CR. I'm not trying to bash the forum but we all know it's true.

Yes, and I completely agree. The thing is though, is that you can easily tell the difference between someone honestly trying, versus someone just not giving two shits.

jnshk
12-24-2011, 12:33 PM
While I would love to see every post written in clear and standard English, it sort of becomes a slippery slope to try and enforce. The best method for dealing with such offenders might be something along the lines of a gentle but constant encouragement for the offender to post coherently.

Example: "I can barely understand any of what you just posted. Please edit your message and rephrase your post in plain English (and/or with an attempt at proper punctuation), and I'm sure that we can provide satisfactory answers to your question(s)." If people (excluding intentional trolls) consistently receive a message like this as a response, it might eventually give them enough pause to take some time and at least make an effort to post coherently.

Also, FWIW, I've found that many foreigners who speak English as a second language have a tendency to write much more clearly than many native-born English speakers. Part of it is that they've attempted to learn the language correctly (and not just through pop culture and slang), but also they are self-conscious about it to the point where they actively make an effort to get it right.

NA6R
12-24-2011, 12:38 PM
ya know, it's hard to drink, drive, smoke and type at the same time :flipoff:

Speaking of :flipoff: wheres the sarcasm :fawk; smiley from mt.net?

asianguywithacamera
12-24-2011, 12:59 PM
grammar*
you're not allowed to criticize people's grammar or punctuation ever!
go to hell

^ haha

Agent☣Orange
12-25-2011, 12:38 PM
Thred is klosed.