PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid Engine Mounts, looking for feedback

kung fu jesus
05-11-2018, 06:23 PM
I most definitely need engine mounts soon. I ran Mazda competition mounts on my NA, no issues. I am considering the hybrid mounts 949 Racing sells.

This is my DD and my HPDE sled. I don’t want a lot of NVH. Does anyone have anecdotal experience? I am reading conflicting reports, but not sure if they are the same mounts.

Thanks for the feedback!

Greasemonkey2000
05-11-2018, 06:47 PM
According to post #65, http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread.php?13289-Paul-B-s-90-NA-quot-Build-quot&p=196157&viewfull=1#post196157 , Hammerhead went with them but I don't think his roadster has seen road time yet.

Some outside feedback:
https://www.miataturbo.net/engine-performance-56/fab9-poly-vs-949-race-vs-949-hyrbid-vs-mazdacomp-mounts-93692/

kung fu jesus
05-13-2018, 12:34 PM
I ordered them. Worse case, I won’t like them and I just need to replace one with a regular Mazdacomp mount, sell the other.

80% less flop, converted to forward movement is a strong argument.

Ihatecars
05-13-2018, 02:55 PM
I've been on Hybrid mounts for over a year now.

They're totally fine. You'll notice a major difference at first. Lots of NVH and what not. After a few months everything has settled down significantly. There's still a noticeable increase in NVH, but nothing too terrible. Shifting feel was improved, but nothing incredibly noticeable.

Solid 8/10 modification. I'm satisfied with mine.

kung fu jesus
05-13-2018, 04:56 PM
Thanks!

I expect some initial harshness. Right now I’m blowing some 3rd gear shifts at the track, no bueno. A more precise shift would be great, just don’t need to feel like I’m riding in a rock tumbler.

Greasemonkey2000
05-13-2018, 10:25 PM
I think for what you want they should fit the bill. I personally am not worried too much about NVH and having had 70d AWR urethane motor mounts I am going to go with Blackbird Fabworx drop mounts.

Phatmiata
05-14-2018, 10:21 AM
Curious to know how any of these mounts are measured, is it by Density of the materials used, Shore "A" Hardness, Compression tests, or what?

Greasemonkey2000
05-14-2018, 10:42 AM
Looks like the Shore durometer scale is universal...here it is for rubber:
http://mykin.com/rubber-hardness-chart

And urethane:
https://psiurethanes.com/soft-vs-hard-durometers/

The Shore hardness test/scale explained:
https://www.artmolds.com/shore-hardness/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shore_durometer

I always wondered about this but never looked into it till now, good information.

@Phatmiata: My best guess would be D but could be A....

Edit: According to Corksport when talking about bushings it is almost always scale A:
http://corksport.com/blog/why-durometer-doesnt-matter/

It also goes onto say that the number is less important and size/surface area is more relevant.

turboedpickup
05-14-2018, 02:29 PM
70D is pretty damned stiff. Delrin is ~85D. But these units have weird conversions. For rule of thumb, compression modulus at 60D is approximately 2X that of 95A polymers. So essentially a 60D part should feel twice as hard as a 95A material.

kung fu jesus
05-14-2018, 04:53 PM
The rubber Mazdacomp mounts are 75D, FWIW.

turboedpickup
05-14-2018, 05:49 PM
https://supermiata.com/mazda-motor-mount.aspx

75A actually.

Edit: huh...it's listed both as 75D and 75A XD. I don't have them so I can't really say BUT, an easy way to think of it is if it's 75A, you should be able to poke it with your nail. If your nail bends instead, it's 75D.

kung fu jesus
06-17-2018, 04:02 PM
Follow up:

I removed the hybrid mount for a Mazda competition mount.

I think the hybrid mount is really best for race or track cars only.

At idle, I had rattles, buzzing, and shaking from everywhere the doors forward. With the AC on, the idle increase made it worse. It was pretty miserable.

Above idle, it’s not bad at all. The shifter is extremely accurate and smooth.

After installing the rubber, enforced Mazdacomp mount, all the buzzing and rattles disappeared. Shifter action quality is very good.

Phatmiata
06-17-2018, 09:29 PM
Good info, thank you for sharing!

Greasemonkey2000
06-18-2018, 12:23 AM
Hum....interesting. I had the AWR urethane motor mounts and I didn't think the NVH was that bad. I did have to track down some rattles (loose screws, etc.) but after fixing them I didn't find them that intrusive. Of course I had urethane motor mounts before on a SRT4 so maybe I have a higher tolerance than others for NVH. :shrug:

kung fu jesus
06-18-2018, 07:21 AM
Perhaps. My NB and the same mounts I installed on a friend's NA had induced a LOT of panel shake, NVH, and noise.

Greasemonkey2000
06-18-2018, 09:15 AM
How many miles you put on the setup before removing?

kung fu jesus
06-18-2018, 10:58 AM
~150

I did a number of break-in routines to settle the mounts.

Greasemonkey2000
06-18-2018, 11:41 AM
I thought I've read it takes several hundred miles to break in, like 500 or so. Pretty sure it took that long for mine to settle down.

Paul B
06-18-2018, 01:13 PM
I installed my hybrid mounts from SuperMiata 3 days ago. Passenger side solid mount and Mazdaspeed Comp left side.

Very impressed with the new mounts.

Car is a '90 and the hybrid kit replaced what I believe to be the stock mounts. Oem mounts weren't broken like I've seen in other cars.

Only noise from new mounts comes at idle around 1000rpm and at start up. Noise is from some interior pieces rattling more than usual. But my gauge hood is broken and my glove box latch was haggardly repaired. Once new gauge hood is in im sure there will be very little rattles in the interior

Hood on passenger side (where the solid mount is) vibrates. Again, only at start up and 1000rpm idle.

Mind you this car has the full butterfly brace, fender braces, shock tower brace, door bars and rollbar. Not sure of those contribute to more or less NVH but figured it was worth mentioning.

Once the car is moving...these mounts really shine. Clutch feels better somehow. Transmission and shifter work better. Engine feels less laggy. Seems to not hesitate anymore when input it given. The mounts make the whole car work better.

Im very happy with the SuperMiata hybrid kit. Its very bearable for a street driven car.

Just my .02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kung fu jesus
06-18-2018, 01:50 PM
Not for my usage. Too much NVH for a street and sometimes track car.

My car developed a LOT of new vibrations and rattles, especially at 1000rpms. It was loud, too. That is where it sits with the AC on. No thanks.

My friend’s NA has all the bracing you mentioned including door bars. He didn’t like it either.

Greasemonkey2000
06-18-2018, 02:29 PM
I made liberal use of 1/8" foam adhesive strips to cancel out many vibrations. :teehee: Pretty much all such placements were out of sight.

lucmor444
06-18-2018, 02:32 PM
Seems like experiences do differ and I expect individual tolerances to NVH also vary significantly.

I have had my hybrid mounts in for a few hundred Kms now but expect I need more distance on them yet to make a full and proper assessment.

In a car similarly braced to Paul B’s I have found the mounts have not added much NVH. There is a more ‘buzzing’ of bits at idle and this increases for me at around 3000rpm. All rather mild actually in my own opinion.

The improvements in the driveline have been worth it in my opinion (although I did find my old hot side mount had split when I removed it so any type of new mount would have made a difference).

j slow
06-18-2018, 03:09 PM
My car has all the above listed braces and roll bar. If I only used the car on track and only street driven to / from track, I wouldn't mind the increase in NVH. That said, for day to day use (I drive <3k mi/year so not exactly daily...), the increase in NVH was not acceptable. Once we removed the hybrid and replaced it with a mazdacomp mount, all rattles went away. So in my case the hybrid wasn't a small increase in NVH, it was very noticeable and after ~500mi there was no change.

For a race car, the hybrid is perfect. For a trackable car that is mostly driven on normal streets, not so much. If you're replacing completely broken mounts with a hybrid kit, you might only notice a small increase in NVH. I went from worn (though not broken) mazdacomp mounts so your results might be different.

Paul B
06-18-2018, 09:14 PM
Damn you guys surprise me.

i figure that slight increase in nvh could be easily looked over in these old cars. Especially when driven only a few thousands miles per year and occasionally tracked.

tsingson
06-18-2018, 09:42 PM
Some of us don't get the winter break and have to use it year round. :blaugh2:

kung fu jesus
06-18-2018, 09:44 PM
And we’re getting old?

Paul B
06-18-2018, 10:59 PM
Some of us don't get the winter break and have to use it year round. :blaugh2:

Idk...the NVH in my hybrid mounts isnt bad at all. Easily daily driveable.

Was gonna say were getting old but dont wanna upset anyone lol

949 Racing
07-06-2018, 11:16 AM
..am considering the hybrid mounts 949 Racing sells.
949 Racing doesn't sell Miata parts. The mounts are a Supermiata product available at supermiata.com.

As you were :)

kung fu jesus
07-07-2018, 04:29 PM
Mea culpa. :)