PDA

View Full Version : Radiator fan question

Demon I Am
05-22-2018, 06:54 PM
So my friend realized today that his stock red fans in his 05 MSM are shot. Car has a new radiator and thermostat. What is the go-to upgrade from the stock fans? In one of my previous cars, I had a slim fan setup that came with a radiator shroud, to assist with pulling air through the fins. I have no scientific evidence to show that it worked as advertised, other than the car never overheated.

kung fu jesus
05-23-2018, 09:03 AM
Stock fans are fine. I never had to upgrade with all the tracking I did in any of my cars. A more efficient radiator, proper ducting, and a reroute are better solutions for the money.

Demon I Am
05-23-2018, 02:03 PM
That's what I figured as well.

Paul B
05-23-2018, 08:09 PM
On this topic, which fan is run by the ac? The passenger side fan or driver?

I recently went to Mishimoto slim fans and ac delete. Would like to wire the two fans together to be run off thermoswitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kung fu jesus
05-23-2018, 09:53 PM
Looking from the front of the car the fan on the left is the AC fan.

It takes a simple jumper connection to wire them both to trigger off the OE thermoswitch.

My NA was wired like this. With a coolant reroute and larger Koyo radiator, it took a long time for the fans to kick on at idle. I haven’t done it to my NB, but with the CSF aluminum unit I added (no reroute yet), it takes a long time as well.

Paul B
05-23-2018, 10:18 PM
Looking from the front of the car the fan on the left is the AC fan.

It takes a simple jumper connection to wire them both to trigger off the OE thermoswitch.

My NA was wired like this. With a coolant reroute and larger Koyo radiator, it took a long time for the fans to kick on at idle. I haven’t done it to my NB, but with the CSF aluminum unit I added (no reroute yet), it takes a long time as well.

Ok thanks for the clear answer. Gonna be wiring them together soon. Yea with my mishimoto radiator i haven't noticed the fan turn on at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk