PDA

View Full Version : Steering rack risers

Paul B
07-10-2018, 07:38 PM
Just purchased and installed a set of Garage Star steering rack risers.

Was looking to reduce bump steer. Car is lowered but not slammed.

Seems like they've made the car worse.

Only drove about 35 miles to work but it seems like the front end & steering is very numb. It does take bumps a bit easier/smoother but there are times when the smallest bump seems to rip the wheel out of my hands. This was not the case before the risers.

Before the risers the car had sooooo much grip. Instant positive feedback and input was immediate.

It is easier to steer which is nice because car has no power steering but the feedback is gone. Almost feels as if front is hydroplaning.

After tonights drive home I may just take the risers off. I can live with bumpsteer to gain back the positive feel of the front end.

Anyone else have good or bad experiences with steering rack risers? Is my car setup just not suitable for the risers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul B
07-10-2018, 11:51 PM
Ok drive home was just as bad. Removing the stock risers. These things ruined the car somehow.

MiataQuest
07-11-2018, 05:27 AM
I wonder if after installing the risers the toe-in or toe-out has changed? Maybe it needs an alignment :shrug:

kung fu jesus
07-11-2018, 07:28 AM
If you install them, you need an alignment. The toe is changed.

Midtenn86
07-11-2018, 07:33 AM
If you install them, you need an alignment. The toe is changed.

This. You've added a bunch of toe-in to the front and need to have it aligned.

Demon I Am
07-11-2018, 07:44 AM
^ For sure. Any time you mess with steering/suspension, you're at least going to want to check the alignment.

Paul B
07-11-2018, 10:07 AM
Thanks for all the input guys.

You all are correct.

For some reason that I cannot understand (small brain) that half inch of lift in the rack causes alignment issues. Car tracks straight so it has to be toe.

Definitely was not something I thought of when installing. Again, small brain.

After removing them last night and sitting there thinking of what it could be, I figured it has to be alignment issues. Theres no way the car could go from so good to so bad.

So the risers will go back on the shelf and I will get some R package tie rod ends at some point, get it all installed and get it aligned.

Thanks everyone!

Sorry for my stupidity.

HarryB
07-11-2018, 03:37 PM
Toe indeed. R package tie rod ends and risers at the same time might overcompensate, increasing bumpsteer instead of decreasing it; adding up is not necessarily good or bad.

Paul B
07-11-2018, 04:22 PM
Toe indeed. R package tie rod ends and risers at the same time might overcompensate, increasing bumpsteer instead of decreasing it; adding up is not necessarily good or bad.

Good to know! Thanks everyone. Slowly learning.

Ill plan an alignment one of these days and out the risers back in that day.

Midtenn86
07-12-2018, 08:30 AM
There is a great thread on MiataTurbo.net with the hierarchy of steering racks spacers and tie rods in terms or reducing bumpsteer. IIRC that steering rack spacers and R/LE tie rods are the best for NA subframes.

Paul B
07-12-2018, 10:47 PM
There is a great thread on MiataTurbo.net with the hierarchy of steering racks spacers and tie rods in terms or reducing bumpsteer. IIRC that steering rack spacers and R/LE tie rods are the best for NA subframes.

Thanks! Ill have to find that thread.