PDA

View Full Version : Killing rattles

friday
02-14-2012, 07:41 PM
What tips do you guys have for killing interior rattles? After I installed my exhaust the deeper tones are making everything shake. My biggest issues if the rear package tray and a few dash rattles

What tapes and stuff do you all use to stop rattles and how do you pin point them?

ChrisJuliano
02-14-2012, 08:01 PM
Hardtop fixed my annoying windshield side pillar rattles, garage star hard mounts killed my hardtop rattle, those were mainly the only ones I had that bothered me.

AARP
02-14-2012, 08:28 PM
I have terrible glovebox rattle. Really need to figure out how to fix it.

adamvanxxx
02-14-2012, 08:47 PM
GOD DAMN my gauge hood rattles and I just want to fucking kill it.

darkgreyNA
02-14-2012, 08:55 PM
For my gauge hood I used a cut up bicycle tube strategically placed in several sections under it and reinstalled..... done.

Doward
02-14-2012, 08:57 PM
I just wrap it all in suede or unbolt it.

But really, I've stuffed pieces of felt or business cards between the dash and windshield to kill many rattles in these cars with solid motor mounts.

owm
02-15-2012, 12:19 AM
I use aircon piping self-adhesive insulation tapes and closed cell foam pads, PU and even PE foams shoved at problem areas just to absorb vibration and even change the resonance frequency. Seems to work thus far :) This is on top of the usual chassis bracings that actually helped to remove some squeaks, creaks from the body.

morr
02-15-2012, 08:04 AM
Hardtop fixed my annoying windshield side pillar rattles, garage star hard mounts killed my hardtop rattle, those were mainly the only ones I had that bothered me.

I'm curious to see those hardtop brackets... my hardtop rattles sometimes when idling and always squeaks and squawks when it's cold.

adamvanxxx
02-15-2012, 10:15 AM
I'll have to attack them when it's warmer, no motivation in the cold.

revlimiter
02-15-2012, 12:07 PM
Rattles tend to go away in warm weather. So... :)

I'm always trying to fix rattles. When one comes out, I go crazy trying to silence it. Electrical tape to fill up interior panel gaps helps a lot.

Stumpy
02-15-2012, 02:21 PM
Everytime I fix one rattle, another one starts somewhere else.

diabeetus
02-15-2012, 03:42 PM
dang! i need try some of these techniques!

jux
02-15-2012, 08:02 PM
Put a few strips of Damplifier on the underside of the 1.6 dash before installing in the 94. Used a couple of those felt pads on the bits of the glove box door that contact the dash.

There's a new rattle that I think is one of the parcel shelf cover plates. Should be gone once I get around to reinstalling the shelf carpet and that butyl pad that goes under it.

revlimiter
02-16-2012, 11:48 AM
I once lose a screw between the gas tank and surrounding metal bits under the package tray. That was very close to the worse rattle ever.

friday
02-16-2012, 12:49 PM
that butyl pad that goes under it.

Is that the half inch thick fiber pad? When I replaced my soft top a while ago mine was damp and moldy so I threw it out, but now that I replaced the one under the shift boot and noticed the big difference it makes I would like to get another for the package shelf. Can the pads be bought at stores like Lowes?

jux
02-16-2012, 05:46 PM
It's not the fiber stuff, no. It looks to me llike a small sheet of butyl rubber, frankly. No idea what it really is, but the density and weight make me think it might be butyl...or something similar.

What you're describing, well, I have no idea where to source that. Maybe just hit up a local junkyard and look under the carpet of various cars. I know lots of OEs use similar material.