PDA

View Full Version : Right size pads for NB with OEM big brakes

AluminumStork
02-11-2019, 01:32 PM
Hey guys, I will be doing some track days soon. I have been preparing my NB last 3 weeks and now I am down to the brakes/pads. My car came with the OEM large brakes/Rotors. Is there a specific size pad that I should be getting for this set up?
I'm thinking Carbotech XP8, but since I am new to the Miata family I wanted to ask before I buy...

Thanks for any help on the subject!

kung fu jesus
02-11-2019, 04:20 PM
OEM large brakes, I am guessing you mean Sport brakes? When you look for pads, you want to be sure it is for Sport brakes, not the regular size, if that is the case.

AluminumStork
02-11-2019, 04:28 PM
Thanks! I found this info while searching for pads:

If you have factory 16 inch wheels , you have the larger sport brakes. Look on the door sticker it should say " Sports S"

Cars fitted with the sports suspension ( Bilstein shocks) will say "Hard S" on that sticker.

Mazda OEM pads for large brakes are:

Rear Brakes NCY3-26-251B
Front Brakes N0Y9-33-23Z

Mazda OEM Rotor part numbers are as follows

Rear N06Y-26-251B *
Front N06Y-33-25X *

kung fu jesus
02-11-2019, 04:37 PM
Which tracks and how many times per year will you be on them? I ask because those are aggressive pads and not generally something to be daily driven on. It can be done, but was wondering if you were going to swap the pads and rotors for a street set for everyday.

AluminumStork
02-11-2019, 04:50 PM
Yes, gave it more thought... now looking into either the Porterfield R4-1 or the R4-S... will probably go with the R4-S for now... then I will do a dedicated set of rotors/pads when I get a bit more advanced...My NB is going to be used mainly to 'learn the lines' at Homestead, Sebring, Palm Beach... then I am taking that knowledge to Spec Racer Ford (where I have my completion license with the SCCA, raced in Portland and MSR Houston, but never done any of the tracks in Florida where I live... So I figured the Miata would be the best car to learn these tracks...
Almost done with the build, just need the brakes and the bracket to instal the Lotus seat.