PDA

View Full Version : miata has loss of horsepower, rough idle, sputtering

blenderblast
02-26-2012, 12:09 AM
On my way home tonight when I got off the exit on MLK from 75 South, coming ffrom Land O Lakes, I felt the Miata wouldn't go like it should. It sputters horribly when you accelerate, idles rough when stopped, under acceleration there is a considerably loss in horsepower.
The car ran fine until this. The only thing I have done to it recently would have been putting gas in the car Friday before the USF car show. It ran fine then. Then later that night before I went to Ybor I put oil in the engine. I had a dip shit friend horse playing behind me and bumped me when I was putting oil in, and oil flooded the valve cover where the sparkplugs go. It was like a mini river. I cleaned up best what I could but could it cause any of these issues?
Anything I need to look for or do to narrow this down?

kung fu jesus
02-26-2012, 02:45 AM
Pullplugs and wires, clean them with electrical cleaner, clean the wells, reinstall. Pull the fuel injector relay, fire the car a few times, reinstall relay, fire again and let the car burn off the oil that dripped into the combustion chamber. Find new friends.

wannafbody
02-28-2012, 11:56 PM
Seeing where the condition occurred, I'd check to make sure you didn't suck a stick of butter into the intake.