PDA

View Full Version : Possibly Moving to the PNW

Caoboy
02-27-2012, 01:21 PM
Hey Ya'll.

My job searching has brought me to start applying up to the PNW. Mostly for jobs in Oregon, but I'm also looking in the Seattle area as well. Any tips on good neighborhoods/places to avoid up there? Any tips would be appreciated.

cornrow
03-03-2012, 02:53 PM
In Seattle area, you'd wanna avoid South Seattle, specifically Beacon Hill/Rainier neighborhood. That's the ghetto. Renton has a lot of shady stuff going on as well.

stormin'norman
03-04-2012, 04:49 PM
Hey Ya'll.

My job searching has brought me to start applying up to the PNW. Mostly for jobs in Oregon, but I'm also looking in the Seattle area as well. Any tips on good neighborhoods/places to avoid up there? Any tips would be appreciated.

Ohh this is interesting.

Basically all of Portland is fairly safe. I prefer the westside of the river personally. Little bit "cleaner" I suppose you could say (Beaverton, Raleigh Hills, Garden Home, West Hills, and then way west such as Bethany/Hillsboro offer newer developments at fairly affordable pricing too. Everything south of the city is great too. Tigard, Tualatin, Sherwood, Lake Oswego, Oregon City are very safe, clean, and you can find affordable living too.

Hit me up if you have questions about pdx, Alex!

friday
03-05-2012, 01:53 AM
Judging from the small size of Portland and the strict land use laws it seems like it could be a pretty expensive city. Is it?

stormin'norman
03-05-2012, 02:32 AM
Judging from the small size of Portland and the strict land use laws it seems like it could be a pretty expensive city. Is it?

Living in Portland per say is yes either going to be extremely expensive such as the hills right outside of downtown on the westside and of course downtown living for the most part is quite spendy. Eastside prices drop but so does the quality of housing. Most people live outside of Portland and commute in from the West and South.

Traffic is pretty chill so the commutes aren't bad. There's really no point to live directly downtown at least in my eyes it's not appealing. Don't be fooled though, there is a TON to do outside of Portland and it really doesn't take longer than 30-45 mins for one to go from the extreme end of the metro area to the other. So when people say they live in "Portland" they probably don't. I do but oddly aside from school, occasional trips to restaurants and of course Portland International (North end) I spend most of my time South and West of the city.

Caoboy
03-06-2012, 10:25 AM
Thanks for the info guys, I will definitely keep this info in might. Time to watch some house hunters as well.

jaredef
03-07-2012, 01:53 AM
Traffic is pretty chill so the commutes aren't bad.
Forget about fast paced highway traffic. One thing Oregonians could learn from their neighbors to the south is how to drive on a freeway. Jeez-o-pete.

Caoboy
03-07-2012, 03:39 PM
^^ And let us pump our own gas.

AntiochOG
03-08-2012, 05:36 AM
Call me soft, but I kind of like sitting inside my car while someone pumps the gas for me.

stormin'norman
03-09-2012, 03:09 AM
Call me soft, but I kind of like sitting inside my car while someone pumps the gas for me.

It's nice when they are respectful of the car. Occasionally they throw the pumps around pretty aggressively or don't tilt the nozzle up to prevent drips.

Maybe I'm just anal.

jaredef
03-13-2012, 07:05 PM
It's nice when they are respectful of the car. Occasionally they throw the pumps around pretty aggressively or don't tilt the nozzle up to prevent drips.

Maybe I'm just anal.This irks me, I would much rather pump my own gas.

bedheadben
03-16-2012, 05:43 PM
Hey Alex! Come on up here, we've got good tracks here too :D

Caoboy
03-19-2012, 08:50 AM
Gotta land that job first man.

kung fu jesus
05-10-2014, 07:04 AM
Bumpin' this thread from the dead.

I am in play for an opportunity that would move me to Portland. (Tulitan)

I have another at the same time that would move me back to SOCAL.

Satisaii
05-10-2014, 12:13 PM
I think we would vote for SOCAL...

Good luck wherever it takes you.

kung fu jesus
05-10-2014, 06:36 PM
Thanks, John!

Agent☣Orange
05-10-2014, 08:03 PM
Not that you'd move by forum consensus but my vote would be the PNW. It's beautiful, less stressed and a completely different culture than SOCAL not to mention closer to great rocky coasts and driving roads to Seattle, the WA peninsula and Canada.

The Driver
05-10-2014, 08:40 PM
Hate to be a contrarian (yeah right), but I'd go for So Cal.

That misty crappie weather is just not for me. Plus as much as I love skiing (18 times this season) and hiking/trail running (all the time), above all is surfing. I get it, I'm probably the only guy in this site who cares about exercising and surfing, but yeah, that's my vote.

Another thing, Mexican food (street or otherwise) is WAY better in So Cal, than in the PNW. I bet Asian food is better too....

Agent☣Orange
05-10-2014, 09:19 PM
Who cares about Mexican food in SOCAL when there's great Thai food and Mexian food in the PNW?

http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa375/YellowYata/Humor/Faces/IMG_8661_zps17b39a18.gif

kung fu jesus
05-10-2014, 09:29 PM
Having lived in SOCAL, the PNW seems like an easier place to live, aside the weather. Have to think long term about fiscal feasibility, too. SOCAL is stupid expensive.

kung fu jesus
05-10-2014, 09:51 PM
The PNW would also give me a legitimate reason to buy an AWD car too. :p

I would also be within 3 hours of my NA when the current owner moves there and sells it back to me.