PDA

View Full Version : Failed hardtop buying attempt

GloriousExcess
03-05-2012, 11:13 PM
Kinda bummed and hoping some internet venting will be cathartic.

Drove from just north of Jax down to Tampa today to purchase a hardtop. The guy ended up raising the price on me (I suspect when he discovered I drove 4 hours to pick it up) and I ended up leaving empty handed. I don't have any weird expectations from people, I'm not myopic enough to believe that people are good and kind and apply the golden rule. I'm just bummed because I was really looking forward to getting a hardtop before I start the build on the car.

Long story: Called Saturday morning on a craigslist ad. You Tampa guys know what it was probably, a red and black 97 automatic with 18" rims and what looked to be a rattle can spray job on the top. Asked if he would separate the top from the car, he said he had gotten other calls about it, that he would and what was my offer. I asked about the condition and was told that other than the spray job it was in super-excellent condition. It's been 2 months or so that I've been looking for a top and I felt like if I offered the guy a super fair price that I could walk away nice top to be repainted , get on with the build and all that jazz. I offered 1k cash. He said he had a previous offer for 1100. Bummer. "Well man, that's a great price, good luck with the sale", and that was that.
Sunday morning he called back to say the other buyer was giving him the run around waiting for his tax return and that he'd take my offer. Sweet. I had the day off today and I arranged to be in Tampa by the afternoon with the cash. Bam, done and done, made it into Tampa before traffic got bad, drove to the dudes house, top was as described. A decent spray can paint job and a top with good glass, seals and headliner. We put it on the car and pull out the money. "Hey, it's 1k but you should count it to be sure."
"Nah man, it's supposed to be 1100."
Well wtf.. I told him thanks but no thanks and drove home. I guess I've been spoiled, avid/hardcore Miata ownership is a small enough community and people are usually on the up and up, I wasn't anticipating any extortion. Now that I've wrote it out I feel a little silly about it but you live you learn.
http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/cto/2881896162.html was the ad so if anyone wants a flat black hardtop with defroster and headliner, the dude will take $1100 if you get him to agree to $1000.

TLDR; drove 4 hours to tampa, dude was like "that'll be $100 more". Fuck that guy, but FML too. Drove back home.

Agent☣Orange
03-05-2012, 11:17 PM
Welcome to MR.

JTninja
03-05-2012, 11:19 PM
Welcome!

Some good deals on hard tops pop up on here sometimes, just keep an eye out for one...

Johnnie
03-05-2012, 11:25 PM
That sucks.

GloriousExcess
03-05-2012, 11:26 PM
Thanks for the welcome : D

afc2112
03-05-2012, 11:29 PM
I saw that ad and it's not worth 1k. I wouldn't even buy that for $500.

Take it from someone who's bought 3 hardtops. You were better off not buying this top. My rule is pay upwards of $700 ONLY if it's in good condition AND it matches your paint.

FWIW, I too have driven over 4 hours (one way) to buy a hardtop and the seller did NOT raise the price on me.

This guy will have a tough time selling this for 1k, IMO. In the meantime, just be patient and you'll get your top.

I've sold hardtops in much better condition for much less. They're out there.

GloriousExcess
03-05-2012, 11:36 PM
Thanks for the words AFC, you guys are awesome. I'm going to keep my eyes and ears open. I'm anxious but not willing to be suckered. I think this experience will mellow me out a bit and I'll get one when I get one. I've got a crazedlist.org craigslist search setup for FL hardtop searches. It's convenient for mid day lunch checks, if anyone else wants to use it here are the links.
Hardtop (http://www.crazedlist.org/index.cgi?areas=124,125,186,20,203,219,236,237,238 ,329,330,331,332,333,37,39,471,472,518,80&catAbbreviation=sss&query=miata%20hardtop&minAsk=&maxAsk=&hasPic=1&thiscat=8&submit=Search)

Miata (http://www.crazedlist.org/index.cgi?areas=124,125,186,20,203,219,236,237,238 ,329,330,331,332,333,37,39,471,472,518,80&catAbbreviation=sss&query=miata&minAsk=&maxAsk=&hasPic=1&thiscat=8&submit=Search)

Phatmiata
03-06-2012, 01:08 AM
$1100 for a rattle can spray painted top? :teehee:

He must be on the crack rock!!

I sold mine which had the ORIGINAL Paint with less than 10K miles on it for $1100. I would not pay more than $500 for rattlecan crap. Would not even bother with rattle can stuff as they are usually hiding something else like cracks in the fiberglass, etc.

Keep looking, and it will turn up. If you need help call on the local club members to scope them out for you. And check the local club forums in the used parts sections

WASABI
03-06-2012, 04:45 AM
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Hardtops DO come up from time to time, at really good prices. I have had 4 hard tops myself....two came with the cars, currently I have one.

I purchased two through Craig's List. One mint black for $400, and one perfect red for $180. THAT one made me nervous....I called, said I would take it and had to wait until the next day to go get it....I thought for sure, the seller was going to back out, but he didn't. He just bought the car, and didn't need/want a hard top.
Deals will come around. Good luck.

-Jim

I<3flippyheadlights
03-06-2012, 08:53 AM
Ah that "custom" Miata. I also called about his hard top and I shit my pants when he said someone offered him 1000. Now I know who that person is :P

I'm sorry he gave you the run around, he is just an idiot. Welcome to MR and you will find your hard top soon enough

afc2112
03-06-2012, 10:51 AM
Be sure to check Savannah & Charleston CL since you're north of Jax.

Agent☣Orange
03-06-2012, 11:01 AM
I wouldn't have just turned around and left. I would have made sure the POS understood the investment in time and fuel it cost to get to him only for him to renig on the deal...and for a measely hundred bucks for an already overpriced top.

Too bad the OPs first post was to come here and complain. I wish he would have joined the community sooner and we could have helped to price and locate a good top, perhaps an unadvertised deal from a trustworthy member.

I just can't believe what a ballsack the craigslist seller was.

GloriousExcess
03-06-2012, 01:40 PM
Well Flippy, hopefully my highballing saved you the trouble of a drive over there : )
I was a member of CR since 2/07 and lived in SRQ for a few years, a few years ago. I've hung out with the Tampa guys at Ricks back in the day. I didn't find out that I needed to be over here instead of over there until two nights ago.
I probably should have put up a proper introduction but needless to say I was a little incensed by the incident.

Phatmiata
03-06-2012, 06:02 PM
I just can't believe what a ballsack the craigslist seller was.

What? you mean there are dishonest sellers on Craigslist? LOL j/k

GloriousExcess, I spoke with a guy earlier this week about my old white hardtop, told him I sold it along with the car to a nice guy out in Texas. I don't suppose you are the same guy I spoke with on the phone? Sorry about the Craiglist guy, maybe also put in a WTB thread on this forum and also on the Tampa forum. Not sure what happened to the Sarasota Forum, it just disappeared and never came back online. :(

Agent☣Orange
03-06-2012, 06:31 PM
Yeah, not surprised about cl sellers. It's just the level of audacity of this one in particular. Good thing he's not a member here.

Not sure about Sarasota but one of the guys in the Gearheads group has a nice hard top with defrost, etc. for sale here

http://www.gearheadsmiataclub.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=499&p=6300&hilit=Hard+top#p6300

GloriousExcess
03-06-2012, 07:24 PM
@Phatmiata, It was not me you spoke with. I've been in touch with a few of the SRQ guys since I moved 5 years ago. Most notably was Tim who purchased James' (I believe that was his name) black turbo JDM-fresh NB, same guy who picked up the NA overfenders from you years ago. I saw him and his car over the holiday when we were both visiting family. Not sure about the rest of the guys though.

@Yellow, the 9 hours and $70 in gas didn't get me a hardtop but it did buy me some patience. I'll add the Gearheads forum to my bookmarked list of places to look. I appreciate all the help.

Agent☣Orange
03-06-2012, 07:28 PM
Cool. It'll be great to have you on Gearheads. We're also part of MazdaRoadster. Look for us in "groups" under the Community tab at the top of the page.

kung fu jesus
03-07-2012, 10:36 AM
I hate dishonest sellers.

I suggest working your network of friends to expand your search. If you have buddies in other parts of the state, tell them what you are looking for and keep the money ready. Maybe offer a finder's fee, like $50 or more/sixer of suds. Keep the feelers out there and be ready, patience yields the best results.

A little anecdote about how I landed mine: I had a buddy in TX who found one for me at a great price, wrong color. Another friend of mine just happened to be driving across country, towing a car. He swung by an picked it up on his way through, I had it a couple days later. Sure, I had to repaint it, but I had figured I would have to anyway.

It was what I wanted anyways; early OEM top, no defrost.